Changing Manual Transmission Fluid

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
After a searching high and low for the transmission fluid that I want, I managed to get it this evening. So, tomorrow I will be changing it.

Well, here is where my problem lies now. I don't know if mine is a lsd or non lsd gearbox. Some told me it's lsd. Most told me its not lsd. I understand that not all Honda gearboxes can be checked if it it lsd or not by jacking the car up and turning the tyres. The internals need to be checked to verify this and I haven't had the chance to open up my gearbox to check this.

Now, I bought the Honda MTF-III Ultra because I remember coming across somewhere that this mtf can be used for both lsd and non-lsd gearboxes. But, upon googling this earlier, I also came to know that it's not usable forr non-lsd gearboxes. So, what if mine is a non-lsd gearbox? I can't use it right? I'm in quite a dilemma right now.

Finally, if lets say that its totally okay for me to use this mtf, it's a 4 litre can and I only need to use 2 litres. I read somewhere that I should use 1 litre to flush the gearbox. Am I right? Any mechanic should be able to do this right?

Thank you and hope to get answers soon as I need to do this tomorrow itself.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Anyone? Appreciate some help here.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Found the answer. Thanks. But i still need to know about the flushing.

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Wow. I never knew that LSD and non-LSD fluid is different...

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Thanks all. I changed my transmission fluid last Saturday. My mech said the MTF-III is too watery compared to others he has seen. Is it supposed to be like that?

I didn't know that LSD and non-LSD mtf are the same. I got mixed up reading different info from different forums. That's why.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
im on non LSD and i use MTF-III.

its ok for non lsd to use lsd oils... but lsd its better to use lsd oils

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
IC. Thanks. Do you find it too watery? That's what my mech said that day.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
actually i have no idea.. never really looked at it before.. coz i usually leave it to at the workshop then go yum char while they service hahahah :D

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Ok. Anyway, I've been using it for a few days now with long trips and a few drag races, everything seems normal. Just hope it remains like that.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
watery is fine la. some pokok mechs use engine oil instead and perhaps that's what your mech is used to seeing. If you got it from a reputable source (the oil) then you shouldn't have to worry.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
watery is fine la. some pokok mechs use engine oil instead and perhaps that's what your mech is used to seeing. If you got it from a reputable source (the oil) then you shouldn't have to worry.
But the guy who said this is not from some pokok mech. He is quite famous for VTEC in JB. Maybe the oil is not original? I got it from a spare part shop. Could it be fake?

MTF ultra form honda is high end MTF quoted by honda...those Type R all using this without problem....and honda MTF grade is not as heavy as other......
Yeah, maybe what you said is true. Honda MTF not as heavy as others.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
But the guy who said this is not from some pokok mech. He is quite famous for VTEC in JB. Maybe the oil is not original? I got it from a spare part shop. Could it be fake?

Yeah, maybe what you said is true. Honda MTF not as heavy as others.
if u look at old gen honda, they using sae30 in the trans.....

and most aftermarket mtf is7x-9x grade..... so heavy...u can use, but not as smooth as honda mtf due to the grade

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
any idea what is honda mtf-iii grade?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
hi bro,

about the gear oil. if LSD box, don use non LSD oil, will have problems, previously my mech "accidentaly" put non lsd oil, and my gearbox started crunching when shift at high gears...and shifting wasnt smooth...drove for a week...flushed it out, replaced with redline lsd oil, box back to normal.

for your case, maybe ah boy feel the oil is light doesnt mean not good... as you mention, u been driving, no problems in shifting, and even during drag no problems ...means the oil should be ok since at high temps you dont experience any crunching or difficulty to shift..just keep track of mileage..after 15km change your mtf..