Cannot engage gear when engine hot

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Hi guys,

got problem with van toyota liteace premio 1.8cc.

Firstly the problem came by with when i'm releasing clutch from gear 1 to move the car the car like cant transfer any power. Feel like clutch slip but in rough way. car vibrating a lot.
15 years havent change clutch, so change it as mechanic advise.

The problem doesnt go away.
After half year, very hard to change gear nowadays when engine is hot.
When first in morning, can engage gear like normal.
After run in for 10km like that, it's very hard to engage gear.

Done brake and clutch fluid change, gearbox oil chage,change clutch plate and cover and bearing, change bottom clucth pump also same problem.

Foreman ask to change clutch again but i refuse cause jus change in half year time.

I notice in clutch system got two pump.
one is at bottom and one is on top.

should i change the top pump also??:confused:

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
All gear also hard to shift when engine hot? Can shift the gear after engine hot but in idle condition? Gear oil sae90 or 75w90? It might be not enough vacuum for the clutch pump.

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
All gear also hard to shift when engine hot? Can shift the gear after engine hot but in idle condition? Gear oil sae90 or 75w90? It might be not enough vacuum for the clutch pump.
ya, all gear hard to get in when car run in after 10km even idle condition also quite hard.

Gear oil not sure which viscosity but bought as spare parts boss recommend.

Vacuum? which part to check ya?

Master pump and bottom pump no leak sign.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
When you feel hard to engage gear that moment 10km as you mentioned, try shift gear with engine shut off.. If easy to engage gear with engine off it probably clutch disc or pressure plate have problem..

If we always step on the clutch pedal in a city drive (especially traffic light waiting for the green), the clutch goes bad quite fast >.<

If it's lack of vacuum, your brake also will felt weird like no brake.. But since no sign of leak and oil it might be not..

Last edited:

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
When you feel hard to engage gear that moment 10km as you mentioned, try shift gear with engine shut off.. If easy to engage gear with engine off it probably clutch disc or pressure plate have problem..

If we always step on the clutch pedal in a city drive (especially traffic light waiting for the green), the clutch goes bad quite fast >.<

If it's lack of vacuum, your brake also will felt weird like no brake.. But since no sign of leak and oil it might be not..
so rite now advisable to change complete clutch set again ( clutch, cover and bearing ) ?

Same thing what the foreman told me like what u write, i actually didnt even step on the clutch pedal.
I let it free gear actually. Then when traffic light turn green, hard to engage gear.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
so rite now advisable to change complete clutch set again ( clutch, cover and bearing ) ?

Same thing what the foreman told me like what u write, i actually didnt even step on the clutch pedal.
I let it free gear actually. Then when traffic light turn green, hard to engage gear.
Might be the previous clutch with bad quality, actually talking about spareparts about our country, i feel very proud cause we can recycle/recond/reuse.. Even Exedy have recond clutch here :banghead:

When we changed new clutch, it have a break in period, we have to drive very gentle at least for 500km, no hard throttle or let goes clutch pedal fast including shifting, everything have to be very gentle like ah pek drive style XD

No more mechanics only change the clutch cover/pressure plate, if we really wanna do so, the labour they quote is the same changing full set clutch kit..

Last edited:

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Might be the previous clutch with bad quality, actually talking about spareparts about our country, i feel very proud cause we can recycle/recond/reuse.. Even Exedy have recond clutch here :banghead:

When we changed new clutch, it have a break in period, we have to drive very gentle at least for 500km, no hard throttle or let goes clutch pedal fast including shifting, everything have to be very gentle like ah pek drive style XD

No more mechanics only change the clutch cover/pressure plate, if we really wanna do so, the labour they quote is the same changing full set clutch kit..
Will try change again the clutch set.
thanks

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Will try change again the clutch set.
thanks
Hope it helps..
Try to ask some warranty from the forman, i know is hard, but we must, consumer's rights.. And comparing stock clutch last 10years or more while nowdays aftermarket's clutch wear out so fast..

Happy new year :burnout:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
When hard to engage gear time, does it grind the gear....ggrrrgh sound?

When step on the clutch do you feel the clutch? How much free play? Too much free play then the less the clutch releases.

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
gear grind a bit.
ya, got feel the clutch, already bleed properly dy.

not much free play.

one more thing, Let say in traffic jam, the car in gear 1.
While letting the cluctch slowly, the car will emit one sound like greng greng greng continuosly and the car is not transferring any power.
Need to release clutch fast and press fuel pedal only can transfer the power.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
gear grind a bit.
ya, got feel the clutch, already bleed properly dy.

not much free play.

one more thing, Let say in traffic jam, the car in gear 1.
While letting the cluctch slowly, the car will emit one sound like greng greng greng continuosly and the car is not transferring any power.
Need to release clutch fast and press fuel pedal only can transfer the power.
Then probably clutch pressure plate may be faulty or release bearing.
You mention changed 6 months ago only, but sometimes they can fail too. For me got one time, after 3 months only, clutch skip but in the morning only. Mechanic skim the fly wheel but still occur. Then he open up again and inspect clutch plate, all nice and unworn, but since open up already he change clutch plate again and problem was solved....:confused:

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i suspect it was due to gearbox oil or clutch bearing.....

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Then probably clutch pressure plate may be faulty or release bearing.
You mention changed 6 months ago only, but sometimes they can fail too. For me got one time, after 3 months only, clutch skip but in the morning only. Mechanic skim the fly wheel but still occur. Then he open up again and inspect clutch plate, all nice and unworn, but since open up already he change clutch plate again and problem was solved....:confused:
i suspect it was due to gearbox oil or clutch bearing.....
will change full set clutch and oil and c how was the results.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

3 Grades of GT-R : There has been a lot of conflicting information regarding the various grades of GT-R to be sold but this time around Best Car report on actual printed advertising material sent out to Nissan dealers in advance of the preorder starting date. The advertising handbills (they’re not actually sales brochures) clearly state the 3 grades of GT-R to be sold with their associated prices and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience