Buying used/half cut brake set

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
Hey guys, im planning on buying a used twin pot brakes for my perodua car.
Brakes have custom brackets and will fit just right into my car..

Just wondering if anyone have experience in buying half cut/recon/used brake kit set for their cars.

1) Anything i shld check or take notice of when purchasing these brakes?

2) how to check the rotors, pads for wear or damages.

3) how to determine the lifespan of the rotors.

4) how to check the calipers?

Your advice are highly appreciated! Thanks!:driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
1. micro cracks on the calipers, rotors, leaking calipers

2. microscope and light is best..its very fine hairline micro cracks..

3. thickness..check major brake rotor catalogue (brembo, EBC, dba) they will say in the catalogue the minimum thickness of the rotor..and how thick is the rotor brand new..then just measure your rotor with a caliper to determine the thickness..

4. check for rust on the pistons.. advisable to service the caliper seals...usually very cheap about rm30-50 for the kit..

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
1. micro cracks on the calipers, rotors, leaking calipers

2. microscope and light is best..its very fine hairline micro cracks..

3. thickness..check major brake rotor catalogue (brembo, EBC, dba) they will say in the catalogue the minimum thickness of the rotor..and how thick is the rotor brand new..then just measure your rotor with a caliper to determine the thickness..

4. check for rust on the pistons.. advisable to service the caliper seals...usually very cheap about rm30-50 for the kit..
thank you so much for your reply bro ixeo! :adore:

Dont mind if i ask, how do i determine a leaking caliper? and any indication of when i should service the caliper seals?

what do u mean by measure the rotor with caliper?

hope u dont mind me bombarding with silly questions. im gonna get the brake set tomorrow if possible, would want to be well prepared bfor i make the purchase :smile:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
thank you so much for your reply bro ixeo! :adore:

Dont mind if i ask, how do i determine a leaking caliper? and any indication of when i should service the caliper seals?

what do u mean by measure the rotor with caliper?

hope u dont mind me bombarding with silly questions. im gonna get the brake set tomorrow if possible, would want to be well prepared bfor i make the purchase :smile:
caliper leaking can service it maa... as long as the caliper and piston inside not visibly damaged or rusted can liao...

measure rotor thickness using vernier caliper... try google up for oem spec rotor thickness and do comparison...

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
caliper leaking can service it maa... as long as the caliper and piston inside not visibly damaged or rusted can liao...

measure rotor thickness using vernier caliper... try google up for oem spec rotor thickness and do comparison...
thanks for the advice bro!

about the rotor thickness, i dont think i can check coz the seller doesnt know the brakes from which model LOL. all he knows is from toyota, twin pot brakes.

will update u guys when i get the brakes sometime nxt week! :)