buying a 4g92 mivec engine..

Jul 10, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm from China and I have a Soueast Lioncel (a rebadged facelift Lancer CK2A). It has a SOHC 4G18 engine with 100hp.

I've been looking into the idea of swapping a 4G92 Mivec engine into my car. Unlike Honda B series or the famed 4G63T, there's not a lot of info on the internet about the 4G9 mivec engines. I think south east asia is pretty much the only place where people still mess with this engine, and this is about the only active forum to ask...

In Guangzhou there are shops importing crate engine/half cuts from Japan and I see them selling the 4G92 Mivec (with complete harness, transmission, ECU) they call it the 'MR' which i am assuming is cut from a Lancer MR CK4A. But I am not sure if they are the RS version or not.

From what I gathered, the normal blacktop 4G92 have 175 ps and the RS has 185 ps (not sure what model is the RS from). Also I read in a post here that the RS model engine has different valve springs and cam timing. So if the cylinder head has different design, is there a way to tell by stamping on the cylinder head?

here are pictures they have posted for sale... more or less the same, I can't really tell the exact model. appreciate any insight into this..

微信图片_20200710221036.jpg

微信图片_20200710221051.jpg

微信图片_20200710221055.jpg

微信图片_20200710221059.jpg

微信图片_20200710221102.jpg

微信图片_20200710221105.jpg

微信图片_20200710221110.jpg

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
i could be wrong.... but if i remember correctly rs's have a lsd (i believe it was standard? not 100% sure).. since you have the gearbox you can peek through and see if theres an lsd. Do take note ppl could have swapped boxes (and it was optional on the standard units)

the dif isnt huge actually....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i could be wrong.... but if i remember correctly rs's have a lsd (i believe it was standard? not 100% sure).. since you have the gearbox you can peek through and see if theres an lsd. Do take note ppl could have swapped boxes (and it was optional on the standard units)

Not sure is the drive shaft for the LSD model is bigger for 4G9, because for 4G6, I was offer a GB with LSD but without the drive shaft and mine don't fit......

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Not sure is the drive shaft for the LSD model is bigger for 4G9, because for 4G6, I was offer a GB with LSD but without the drive shaft and mine don't fit......
ya... fto's lsd and non-lsd shafts are also different. one has more splines. was gona buy cause it was dirt cheap then some little birdy told me, driveshaft haram nak cari. Main reason the fella was selling :laugh:

plumflies

Jul 10, 2020

thanks for the information!
BTW do you know if there's a way to tell if it has a LSD or not?

I know on the Honda B or K series, you can tell if it has a type-R LSD or not by look thru the axle hole on the transmission. On a LSD transmission you can see straight thru the hole and it's hollow. on a open diff there will be a pin right in middle.

the type-R LSD is a helical gear LSD so idk if the same tell apply to 4G92...?

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

I know on the Honda B or K series, you can tell if it has a type-R LSD or not by look thru the axle hole on the transmission. On a LSD transmission you can see straight thru the hole and it's hollow. on a open diff there will be a pin right in middle.

maybe this can help u

Reactions: Izso

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ya... fto's lsd and non-lsd shafts are also different. one has more splines. was gona buy cause it was dirt cheap then some little birdy told me, driveshaft haram nak cari. Main reason the fella was selling :laugh:
I would have bought too if can find the drive shaft.......lol

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ

should be the same means of checking if im not mistaken..

darkstar

Known Member
Dec 7, 2003
PJ
darkstarlucifer.no-ip.org
4G92 Mivec is 1.6
Black top and silver top are the same.. just different years of production.. Silver top is older.. Black top is newer.
RS in Mivec stands for Rally Specs.. Wire harness does not support air cond or power steering as it is not required on Rally Cars..
The RS specs comes with LSD.. and like all Rally cars, there is no Auto gearbox.
You can implant the LSD gearbox together with your black / silver top.

I am still trying to figure out your question to this post actually.. What is your question?

Not sure if the older posts are available (I mean really older post from back in 2003 / 2004 when I was had my Satria Mivec). If it can be found, you guys should check it out.. alot of Mivec users those days comment based on actual experiences

Reactions: Izso

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

What is the max Temperature that this pad can withstand ?

How much is the market price now?

The ride is Suzuki Swift 1.5 the pad is for front brake ~

Thanks =)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience