Brake change or upgrade?

Acer1810

Jul 29, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Dear all,

My sis owns a civic fd2 and frequently require a brake pad change.

Which would be better?
Option 1: A brake calliper change with skimmed rotors or
Option 2: an entirely new aftermarket brakes with rotors?

If there's any other options do suggest.

Thanks!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
All depends on your budget.

Got the money? Aftermarket new everything.

Don't got the money, skim and change pads.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
But will after markets brakes last longer?? I suspect that it's a design issue or sheer bad luck?
Last longer? How much longer do you want it to last? Hard pads that supposedly last longer will probably have poor bite or require heat to work properly (high temp pads). Both dangerous.

If there's nothing wrong with your brakes in terms of bite, effectiveness, then don't worry so much about it la. Worst comes to worse, try a different brake pad brand like Ultrex or Ferodo. Or if you have the budget EBC or Mu pads or something.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oh btw, how do you know it requires frequent changing? Mechanic or you brake until there's a screeching sound?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
and how frequent is frequent?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
tell her to engage into N if the car is stationary for more than 15 secs.
girls tend to just step on the brake pedal when the gear is in D.
Car Stationary, where got wear the brake even though step on it. I think since auto, the sister use the brakes a lot....:biggrin:

Stephen1978

Apr 22, 2007
Hi there,

I'm driving a civic 2.0 as well.... Faced same issue. I've solved this issue by changing to Endless brake pads (type SSS)- front only suffice and used Endless brake fluid...
Currently in my 3rd set. No complain. Be careful when considering aftermarket calipers as we need to ensure our spare tire can still fit into our car since our spare is not the full size tire.
Hope this helps...

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Even aggressive driving with stock pad wont require frequent change.
Then again "frequent" is not an accurate measurement.
Automatic car will have the pad worn out quicker.

What is suspect is your sis is riding the brake which is not a good practice esp going downhill.
The best thing to do which is the hardest to do is to get her to change her driving style.

The easiest thing to do is to get a better pad. Do note that some aftermarket pad are design for specific usage such as street and track with different optimum operating temperature.
Choosing the wrong pad might result in she complaining more.

U dont need a new caliper, not even a new rotor unless the current rotor is too thin.
Its not like she is going for track session.

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
u can denote the "frequency" by mileage travelled. my Endless SSS lasted about 45k km.
i rarely clocked 45k km a year thus changing pads are 1-1/2 yr maintenance.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
u can denote the "frequency" by mileage travelled. my Endless SSS lasted about 45k km.
i rarely clocked 45k km a year thus changing pads are 1-1/2 yr maintenance.
Mine last about 3 to 4 years. Now 14 years on my 4th set of pads only....:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Honda Malaysia Sdn Bhd (“Honda Malaysia” or the “Company”) today reported its highest monthly sales ever at 4,250 units in June, 34% higher compare to June last year. As Honda concludes its sales performance for the first half of 2010, the total sales stand at 22,142 units, only 45% away from its annual target of 40,000 units.

“Sales figures are not merely a number, but also a reading to gauge our market...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience