Beware/Be Careful if Tyre Prices are far way cheaper than other Tyre Shops

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Just to start this thread to warn others to be careful when you see or find any cheaper tyres on sale on the net or through friend's recommendation.

I can't say I was conned or did not get conned. Either way, I'm just in between got conned and not conned. Since I agreed to do it.

I recently change all 4 tyres for my kancil that I just bought recently. Well, not familiar with the car yet, so all I can do is to trust the tyre shops mechs on the recommendation that they give. Tyres are real cheap. Even cheaper than other shops by RM20-RM30 per piece. Sounds like a great deal eh?

Seems a great deal, somehow this sounds too good of a deal. A friend and another tyre shop boss said, usually when tyre shops throwing dirt cheap prices for their tyres, they usually take something else to cover back the cost of the tyres in order not to make any losses since they are already offering you so cheap for the tyres. So, there are hidden cost for it.

End up, I realised I agreed and trusted them too soon. Since I agreed, I could say indirectly got slaughtered.

I was happy that I manage to get the tyres cheap, end up I paid at least extra RM150 not inclusive of tyres yet. More likely paid more than those selling the tyres at RM30 more.

I would say I was slaughtered. Okay once fitted everything, they set the car for alignment.

2 front tyres and 1 rear tyres the camber was totally out. Front tyres are like +1 and rear if not wrong is -1. So, he told me that I have to change the camber screw since the alignment is that bad. Ask me if I want the normal one or the better one. I ask "What's the difference?"

He said, is better if you take the better ones, because is easier if camber lari next time easier to adjust it back.

Well, being 1st time doing alignment involving camber adjustment, of course I opt for the better ones. The rear, he said can't adjust by screw, have to adjust by Gas? I ask why can't? He said kancil rear don't have screw to adjust, have to use gas to adjust back the camber or something.

I totally had no idea what is he talking about. So, just have to believe him. Thinking maybe kancil is really like that. RM60 bucks for that kind of what gas. Tyres not including alignment at Rm20

Until yesterday, sent in my car to change all 4 absorbers, my mech advised me to do alignment again since you fitted CAMBER SCREWS. I was like okay, not knowing what it does yet.

Went to another tyre shop in PJ since nearer to where I live now.

The boss got a shock and ask me...

Boss: Aren't your tyres new? Why need to do alignment?
Me: I changed all 4 absorbers and my mech told me that I have to do alignment again cuz of the camber screws

He got a shock and ask me..
Boss: Why you fit the camber screws for?
Me: I'm not sure, the previous tayar shop recommended to fit it for easy adjustment.
Boss: Aiyoh, you already kena tipu/slaughtered la. This camber screw is a nuisance to u.
Just additional cost and trouble for you in future.
Me: Then how?
Boss: I check your alignment 1st. (After awhile) All lari. So alignment is RM30 and RM25 each for camber screw adjustments.
Me: I said okay, no choice but to adjust since already lari.
Boss: How much you got the tyres, you tell me? Around RM100 and below right?
Me: Yes
Boss: That's why la. Usually those that throw in dirt cheap price, They usually use other things to cover their cost. You calculate back how much you spent at that shop?
More than the tyre price right? You know how much we selling this model tyres here? Is more than that.
I was like...a bit frustrated because I didnt know the screw was actually a camber screw. Looks the same like the ori ones but just newer. Didn't know it was such headache. Yet he said now you come do alignment, already paying another RM50 for camber screw adjustments.

He said those forums/online sometimes cannot be trusted. Feedbacks or whatever can be made up by them. He said, buy tyres better to just come to the shop straight to check. Don't go online.

Well, felt cheated and a friend ask me to tell him where to get the cheap tyres, I told him to just get the tyres and do alignment else where. Don't agree to anything.

So lesson learnt, if want to buy cheap tyres can. Buy but don't ever fit in the camber screws. If he said have to fit in to adjust, go to other tyre shops that you trust.

Just to warn everyone on this case.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well, just take as paid lesson learned. Some will buy and fit then go back to their usual shop for alignment. But I don't think you have one, right?
Some will just cash and carry but that will increase the cost to fit elsewhere.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Well, just take as paid lesson learned. Some will buy and fit then go back to their usual shop for alignment. But I don't think you have one, right?
Some will just cash and carry but that will increase the cost to fit elsewhere.
Still have, can go back to the Michelin in Manjalara just for alignment.
Ya, which is the best thing to do. Buy and fit, then go back to usual tyre shop for alignment.

Cheap tyres can buy still, but alignment elsewhere.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Still have, can go back to the Michelin in Manjalara just for alignment.
Ya, which is the best thing to do. Buy and fit, then go back to usual tyre shop for alignment.

Cheap tyres can buy still, but alignment elsewhere.
Because you don't know that shop and that is where and when the con comes. Your trust shop can advice you better, like the story I told you my car running left, my trusted shop insist I use like that because one side positive and one side negative but within specs, but I did not like so insist to fit camber screw to correct it....:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Because you don't know that shop and that is where and when the con comes. Your trust shop can advice you better, like the story I told you my car running left, my trusted shop insist I use like that because one side positive and one side negative but within specs, but I did not like so insist to fit camber screw to correct it....:biggrin:
Haha ya, next alignment would just go back to trusted shop.

amad108..

Known Member
Jul 27, 2004
last time happen to me too.. i'm new at that time too.. all this camber screw is nonsense.. it happen to me while i'm using wira 1.6, then after fitted with adjustable absorber, no more camber screw as the absorber it self can adjust camber too..
so until know, when i bring standard stock car to change tyre, when they offered that camber screw price at rm40/pc.. i just reject them nicely or i just said no budget to install etc..
so far my kancil n vios dont have them, and no unbalance tyre usage until now.. i rarely do alignment if just changing tyre.. if absorber especially front absorber then yes, u need to do alignment check.. summore if i need to do alignment, i prefer those mechanic which use ruler n thread..
tq for sharing Supra_Fanatics..

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
I recommend this place Extreme Wheels located in Ampang Avenue, nearby Pandan Indah, Pandan Mewah ampang.
very nice guy...honest & tyre prices are reasonable. the nasi lemak opposite his shop also very nice.

look for Tom, highly recommended by me.
http://www.mudah.my/li?ca=8_s&id=214000

SF,
the gas thingy should be pump chamber. usually done on perdana, but I prefer them to take out & use the press machine, pumping your chamber might cause it to break.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
last time happen to me too.. i'm new at that time too.. all this camber screw is nonsense.. it happen to me while i'm using wira 1.6, then after fitted with adjustable absorber, no more camber screw as the absorber it self can adjust camber too..
so until know, when i bring standard stock car to change tyre, when they offered that camber screw price at rm40/pc.. i just reject them nicely or i just said no budget to install etc..
so far my kancil n vios dont have them, and no unbalance tyre usage until now.. i rarely do alignment if just changing tyre.. if absorber especially front absorber then yes, u need to do alignment check.. summore if i need to do alignment, i prefer those mechanic which use ruler n thread..
tq for sharing Supra_Fanatics..
Thanks for sharing too bro, just hope more 1st timer will not fall into such costly and unnecessary adjustment made during any tyre change or alignment. I did wonder why can't be adjusted. But never suspect anything as I'm still new to the 2nd hand kancil I bought.

Mine was RM45/pc for camber screw

I recommend this place Extreme Wheels located in Ampang Avenue, nearby Pandan Indah, Pandan Mewah ampang.
very nice guy...honest & tyre prices are reasonable. the nasi lemak opposite his shop also very nice.

look for Tom, highly recommended by me.
PRO Niaga: Extreme Wheels

SF,
the gas thingy should be pump chamber. usually done on perdana, but I prefer them to take out & use the press machine, pumping your chamber might cause it to break.
Seems he does rims coating too? Ampang...further for me now but is all worth it for someone trustworthy I guess. Since I can go all the way to puchong to service my car :rofl:

Thanks for sharing bro, now at least I know what he did with the gas thing. But he didnt mention can take out.
He just said have to pump. Thanks for sharing bro.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
if pump then no need to take out. if press camber then need to remove the tyres & absorbers.
Will request to remove it then, to avoid the risk of breaking the camber due to pumping gas

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Cash and carry. End of story. Nobody touches my boat other than my usual mech & usual tyre guy. I always call in advance to ensure my guy is there. Its not about the shop because each shop sure got monkeys. Make sure you stick to the gorilla and not the monkey.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
wtf suprafan.. this is the classic tyre con job! Haven't you hung around vr2turbo enough to not get into this sort of con job?!

Just leave the camber screws in la since you have them already. Incidentally I know you can get a camber screw for less than 10 at the right stores. Buying from shops will chop you kaokao

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
wtf suprafan.. this is the classic tyre con job! Haven't you hung around vr2turbo enough to not get into this sort of con job?!

Just leave the camber screws in la since you have them already. Incidentally I know you can get a camber screw for less than 10 at the right stores. Buying from shops will chop you kaokao
Damn, I know. But never ask questions about camber screw before :rofl:

What a RM100 few hours lesson on camber screw. Really never any shop suggested to me to do this camber screw thing during alignment after driving for more than 8 years man...

1st time heard of such con job. The thing is, even if it cost RM10 in spareparts shops, I wouldnt want to get such a troublesome and money wasting screws. I just want back the original one will do. :banghead:

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
Damn, I know. But never ask questions about camber screw before :rofl:

What a RM100 few hours lesson on camber screw. Really never any shop suggested to me to do this camber screw thing during alignment after driving for more than 8 years man...

1st time heard of such con job. The thing is, even if it cost RM10 in spareparts shops, I wouldnt want to get such a troublesome and money wasting screws. I just want back the original one will do. :banghead:
I think theres a thread here bout those camber screws but don't remember which 1 lehh, it's there stuck in my head telling no need to change them when I changed my tyres last time.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I think theres a thread here bout those camber screws but don't remember which 1 lehh, it's there stuck in my head telling no need to change them when I changed my tyres last time.
Ya, never had my regular mech tell me about that before. He just say that the camber ran off very bad, suggest me to change to this so called adjustable camber screws.

End up, I pay more for what I'm suppose to be paying. Well, learnt my lesson the harder way.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello all, I'm currently using a GSR Turbo with TD05H E3 turbo. Using E-Manage blue for tuning and running at 1.1 boost. I'm using E3 fuel injectors 510cc. Blitz boost controller.

I thougt of upgrading to higher topspeed. Curently I'm getting 210kh/h @ 7,000 rpm on stock GSR gear box. What's all the sifu's advice on this? Should I go for E3 gearbox? Or E1..E2 gearbox? Or just chg final gear ratio and add LSD?

What's the recommended boost? If I boost 1.5 bar, should I change the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience