basic questions on CPS

skylin3lov3r

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2005
JB
I like 2 ask what is the most optimum bhp range 4 the CPS engine mod? I b only using the car 4 daily n leisure driving. I dont want 2 do engine swap s it is 2 costly n leceh a lot. Lastly, is the maintenance cost heavy compare with jap sports car like GTR? I plan 2 get the neo CPS auto s my first car buy ever using my own money plus trading in my waja auto of 4 years usage b4 moving up 2 the GTR level. :driver: Very appreciate with any pros advices here. :adore:

Last edited:

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
Hello there,

I'm currently driving the CPS here as well. A manual one, though. So far I only have light mods on my car since I only got it recently. So far from what I have heard from other owners driving the CPS AUTO, the FC is little higher compared to the Manual one. Optimum BHP is pretty subjective based on the individual. Some can handle a 600bhp machine as a daily driver but some like between the range of 200-300bhp.

In terms of practicality, I would say your Waja would beat the crap out of it since it's a 4-door, compared to the CPS's 2 door. Maintenance is reasonable, definitely cannot be compared to the GTR. CPS is totally not in the same league as the GTR, hahah.

The CPS is a rev-happy engine but don't put too high of an expectation on it, since you compared it with a GTR. :biggrin: But overall am very happy with the car. It might lose out on pure power but it triumphs in the handling side of things. Very nice going up Genting, just keep it within the high rev range. :biggrin:

nyantong

Known Member
Jul 26, 2008
With the exception of turbocharging, you'd probably get an extra 20% increase in power at best, which includes intakes, exhaust and engine management. Mind you, its not cheap to modify and the power gains on a CPS sadly doesn't justify the money spent. But maintenance is still pretty much cheap.

If you are considering GTR, be prepared to spend a bomb on maintenance. Expect regular servicing bills to be 4 digit minimum.

skylin3lov3r

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2005
JB
Hello there,

I'm currently driving the CPS here as well. A manual one, though. So far I only have light mods on my car since I only got it recently. So far from what I have heard from other owners driving the CPS AUTO, the FC is little higher compared to the Manual one. Optimum BHP is pretty subjective based on the individual. Some can handle a 600bhp machine as a daily driver but some like between the range of 200-300bhp.

In terms of practicality, I would say your Waja would beat the crap out of it since it's a 4-door, compared to the CPS's 2 door. Maintenance is reasonable, definitely cannot be compared to the GTR. CPS is totally not in the same league as the GTR, hahah.

The CPS is a rev-happy engine but don't put too high of an expectation on it, since you compared it with a GTR. :biggrin: But overall am very happy with the car. It might lose out on pure power but it triumphs in the handling side of things. Very nice going up Genting, just keep it within the high rev range. :biggrin:
thanks. actually i want 2 know what is the max hp 2 mod the CPS engine. i never intend 2 crank it more than 600hp unless i do n engine transplant which is another waste of money. then i will buy the CPS s weekend car. i still need practicality s i always carry big food groceries every saturday from the market. the rest of the weekend i touge around genting.:driver:any other nice stretch 2 touge around bsides genting?:driver:

With the exception of turbocharging, you'd probably get an extra 20% increase in power at best, which includes intakes, exhaust and engine management. Mind you, its not cheap to modify and the power gains on a CPS sadly doesn't justify the money spent. But maintenance is still pretty much cheap.

If you are considering GTR, be prepared to spend a bomb on maintenance. Expect regular servicing bills to be 4 digit minimum.
thanks 4 clarifying. i will focus more on handling mods then. i want 2 mod it like the S2000 rally car n better. i no plan 2 get GTR 2 soon till i move up the next level of job responsibilities. i m still in my first job here. this CPS will b my platform 2 future sports car upgrades.

Last edited:

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
thanks. actually i want 2 know what is the max hp 2 mod the CPS engine. i never intend 2 crank it more than 600hp unless i do n engine transplant which is another waste of money. then i will buy the CPS s weekend car. i still need practicality s i always carry big food groceries every saturday from the market. the rest of the weekend i touge around genting.:driver:any other nice stretch 2 touge around bsides genting?:driver:
Not sure about the maximum but I've seen CPS'es going more than 200whp. But that is certainly needed with a turbo/supercharger with extensive mods of the internals of the engine. Like what many would agree with me, the amount of money put into the CPS engine is not worth the amount of power outputted at the end of the day.
I'm thinking of transplanting a Evo3 engine inside as my ultimate mod but keeping it on the practical and reliable zone. As of now, my CPS is still practical since I'm mostly the only one driving the car. So I would suggest you focus more on light mods first (exhaust, air filter) and give more focus in the handling department. Trust me, the handling never disappoints. Handling is our territory. :biggrin:

You can go touge at the Ulu-Yam -- Genting stretch but be careful. Bukit Putus or to Bukit Tinggi.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
One question, why auto though? You won't get much of a difference with mods when you are stuck with the auto gearbox. So, why not manual instead? It is after all your first 'sporty-car' platform and to be frank, the auto sucks for sporty driving.

poolupwai

Oct 13, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Yea, why bother to get auto when you wana drive a sporty car? To me fun cars should have three pedals. :biggrin:

To answer your questions:

Stock CPS on crank is quoted as 125hp, on wheel should be no more than 100hp for a shiftstick, and around 90hp for a slushie. As bro bushidofang clarified earlier, it is not worthy to to mod to squeeze every tiny bit of ponies from the CPS. The amount of time, money and effort is not justified by the end result simply because CPS is just not designed to be high HP powerplant.

However, having said that, simple bolt-on mods such as air intake, extractor+catback system, lightened crank pulley, adjustable cam pulley, etc etc is more than enough.

Bolt-on turbo or supercharge is a big NO-NO unless u are willing to spend a fortune to strenghten the internal first. There are cases of failed internals (crankshaft patah, conrod putus, etc) due to unsafe overboosting, on stock internals!

In terms of maintenance, it is more or likely similar to your waja, if not a little bit more. however, do expect your auto CPS to have higher FC, even higher if your right foot is implanted with lead. :biggrin:

Overall, i'm very happy with my CPS. it is a nippy car, the handling is top-notch, just lacking in the ponies stable. great car on twisty mountain roads, it just never stops to put a smile on my face.

skylin3lov3r

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2005
JB
thks 4 the props fellas...i think i have decided which neo CPS 2 buy already:driver:after that,,,i look 4ward 2 join the TT time one day:smokin:

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
Awesome, if you do see a white CPS with a big orange ZTH TTA sticker on my left side window, that's me. Give me a friendly honk. :)

budakkampungaje

Known Member
Dec 19, 2007
Dengkil
My office was using a CPS but waja car auto........i think this was a good engine i was using evereday and i around whole malaysia with this waja CPS....what i can say this engine is the rpm.....this engine can reach bout 7200 rpm every gear.....that was more than the red line the and the 3rd gear this CPS engine can reach 183km/h........can you guys imaging what happen when throw out the rev cut...?i think the engine can reach bout 8-9 rpm.....that for WAJA CPS for NEO CPS i dont have any idea of that model....

spoon civic

Known Member
Jul 12, 2012
terengganu
My office was using a CPS but waja car auto........i think this was a good engine i was using evereday and i around whole malaysia with this waja CPS....what i can say this engine is the rpm.....this engine can reach bout 7200 rpm every gear.....that was more than the red line the and the 3rd gear this CPS engine can reach 183km/h........can you guys imaging what happen when throw out the rev cut...?i think the engine can reach bout 8-9 rpm.....that for WAJA CPS for NEO CPS i dont have any idea of that model....
yes bro..waja cps quite comfort for daily and relax use..........pick up is okay....

SubaruFTW

Nov 27, 2012
Miri
If you want a sport car and feel it. is better to go for manual. Is where the fun is, shifting and hearing the engine is awesome!
Plus I own a manual Satria Neo CPS 1.6. Did a light mod on it. Change to NGK platinum spark plug, Jasma radiator piping,add a strut bar, volt stabilizer and HKS grounding wire and matola exhaust. Next step is changing the extractor. Still going slowly with it. not thinking of doing engine conversion or putting in turbo. Is a fun car to drive with. Especially playing at high rev, the CPS works like VTEC but not so powerful, but when the CPS open I just love hearing the exhaust note change! MUSIC TO MY EARS!!!

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi

My inspira braking system not so good...anyone have idea how to improve?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience