Auto gearbox convert manual

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Hi guys...

My long time plan finally has an update. There is this guy who called me up today and is willing to swap with me his manual gearbox for my auto. Tomorrow we will meet and test each others car. Then if everything is fine, will proceed ^^.

Before anything, just want to get some opinions if there is anyone who done this project before. Please share experience.

1. Is it complicated?
2. Have to change ECU?
3. What are the common problems associated with manual gearbox? For auto I know. Aged auto might have slip, overheating, mis-shifting and so on. But any of such cases with manual? How to check.
4. One mechanic told me it is difficult. Need to modify to fit the clutch pump and stuff. Is this true? Because my 4AFE engine exist in auto and manual variant. Can't just plug and play?

Thank you!!!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Also, I would require advice on where this thing can be done. The mech I found initially is kind of busy at the moment. Any place in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah that any people know of? Thank you.

Turborized

Known Member
Jun 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
i converted my myvi auto to manual perfectly fine, did it in one day too. there shouldnt be a problem, and nope you dont need to change your ecu, its just a matter of bypassing your auto gearbox telling it that it still exist(but its not)..

vesparado

Jul 13, 2010
johor bahru
i already change my auto gearbox to manual.so far have no problem.mycar wira 4g92 doch auto.when i swap to manual,ecu for auto gearbox must remove also coz auto gearbox need ecu to control gear change.auto gear box have special ecu for gearbox.not same with engine ecu.sory if i mistake.but i dont now about u car.but my kancil with l5 auto na no need ecu.just use cable to change gear.
My wira have no problem when swap to manual coz my car oni 1.3 manual before i swap to 4g92.so already have port for clucth pum etc..just plug n play..

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Thank you all for your input and opinions!

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

i converted my myvi auto to manual perfectly fine, did it in one day too. there shouldnt be a problem, and nope you dont need to change your ecu, its just a matter of bypassing your auto gearbox telling it that it still exist(but its not)..
Bro... Thank you for the tip on the ECU.

About the clutch pump, how to fit it in because auto one do not have it. So when you convert to manual, how to fit in. Is the space already there r have to modify?

And how to fix in the clutch pedal? Have to drill a hole at the firewall?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Tested... Seems no problem... Hope can start project after cny... Really miss the response of manual... Long time no drive manual... :burnout:

Although I'm quite sure I will be sick and dissatisfied with the power increase soon again... :bawling:

ahmedshaikhani

Known Member
Feb 4, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
@velco
There is no rocket science involve in it. It is an easy swap, you just need to have manual gearbox along with its flywheel. As far as ecu is considered you just have to jump up the wires in order to fool it. I did it in my 4G92Mivec and it was working perfectly. One thing I liked about Mitsubishi is that in 4G series all gearbox are compatible with each other. While in Toyota swapping a gearbox from Manual to Automatic or vise-versa is very easy its just plug and play with few mods.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
HI ALL!!!!!!!!!!

It's finally done!!! I'm so happy!!!!!! Ahh... The instantaneous response feels so so good!!! Nice ratios too!!! But I haven't tested the FC and my mileage counter cable broke and I couldn't source it for the moment. Apparently the whole kk ran out of stock.

Anyways, There's something different about this gearbox though. At about 100 km/h, the engine is running close to 3k rpm. The gearing is quite low for this gearbox. Even for each gearshift, the rpm barely drops 400 - 500rpm. Very nice for frequent stop and go. Acceleration is nice. But for highway cruising, feels a bit wasting gas. Anybody got experience with manual 4AFE AE111? I heard that it does 2500 rpm at 100 km/h. Did toyota used a different gearbox for different year? :hmmmm:

Anyways, it is still awesome. Hope this satisfaction can last me a longer time so that don't need to waste money to do other stuff again. :biggrin:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
most manual GB got slightly higher cruising rpm over speed due to different final drive....

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I managed to source for the meter cable today. The mileage and speedo is finally working. Yikes!!! The ratios are not very nice for highway lerr...

About 3k rpm at 100km/h. Went at 130km/h just now an the engine was screamin at around 4++k rpm. Bot good for high speed cruising. I heard that AE111 manual does 2.5k rpms at 100km/h. How come mine like that? Did toyota used a different gearbox for different year models?

I was considering BOT in the future. But if the ratios are so low, BOT won't be nice as the gearing is not tall enough to exploit the torque.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
bumpedy... bump.. bump... Anyone?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
BOT??? Interesting..

I think 3000rpm at 100kmh is normal..

AE111 doing 2500rpm at 100kmh.. i think it uses the 6spd gearbox

Gear shift drops 500 rpm.. normal.. if u're revving around 3000++rpm..

try revving at 8000rpm, sure drops around 2000rpm :biggrin:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
BOT??? Interesting..

I think 3000rpm at 100kmh is normal..

AE111 doing 2500rpm at 100kmh.. i think it uses the 6spd gearbox

Gear shift drops 500 rpm.. normal.. if u're revving around 3000++rpm..

try revving at 8000rpm, sure drops around 2000rpm :biggrin:
Bro!

Serious? I mean about your second statement. At 3k rpm, revs drop 500, but at higher revs, say around 8k rpm, it drops more? Does gears work that way? I thought the rpm drop is same no matter at what rev you shift? Isn't it?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys. My friend's Yellow EG Ferios was stolen last Sunday, 2AM at MBO, Terminal Two Seremban. He went there to watch a movie. So please be extra careful if you go there. The place is equipped with CCTV but were told that not all are functioning. Below is the info of the stolen car:

1. Yellow colored EG ferio
2. Black front hood
3. Bronze CE28 replica rims
4. Plate number JCP 1636

Kindly please contact me at 013 if you happen to see the car anywhere.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience