ATF vs brake fluid vs suspension oil

EDRA

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
hello friends,

i have some questions about hydraulic fluid to ask. seems some foreman using the same fluid to replace the previous fluid in some gearbox, power steering, brake system and suspension system. what i know is atf only can be used for auto trans and power steering. i also heard that atf can be used for suspension. (inject to stock absorber).

1. is it all the fluid can be simply interchanged?
2. any effect performance and durable to those parts

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
1. No. If it says it needs Dexron III you don't go and put in Toyota type-IV. They aren't compatible. Compatible oils - yes, cincai mix - no.
2. Yes. Reduces performance in some cases and might even cause damage in others.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I see many workshops tend to share the same fluid for brake and steering (for normal driving situation).

However, the same fluid for ATF?? No. ATF fluid required to be more demanding in functionality, and the operating environment.
Use the wrong fluid, the G/B will kong very fast....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
hello friends,

i have some questions about hydraulic fluid to ask. seems some foreman using the same fluid to replace the previous fluid in some gearbox, power steering, brake system and suspension system. what i know is atf only can be used for auto trans and power steering. i also heard that atf can be used for suspension. (inject to stock absorber).

1. is it all the fluid can be simply interchanged?
2. any effect performance and durable to those parts

ok...atf fluid yes compatible with power steering system as well as some differential box for RWD/AWD cars...

but on transmission.gearbox case have check with the specific ATF fluid grade...not all automatic gearbox uses same ATF formula.....

in case of injecting absorber thats depend on the damping rate needed..because different oil viscosity translate into different damping rate after the injection.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Not just any Mercedes AMG CLA45 but an AMG CLA45 Edition 1.

Protected with Optimum OptiCoat PRO.

Some after pictures of this special 355 horsepower AMG beast!

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience