Atf Cooler

popout

Known Member
Sep 5, 2006
izzit 1.6 mivec auto can install ATF cooler?? if can how is da effect and how much it cost??

pupjoint

Known Member
Jun 3, 2007
i do have a question to those who have installed this ATF cooler, how many degress the cooler actually give?

also, are there any pressure losses wehn u add this ATF cooler?

a lot of people simply add cooler without knowing the effects of it.

if u do install, always keep the lines as short as possible.

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
ATF cooler? it will cost u around RM300 to complete install.
Item item will help u to extend gearbox life spand as able to maintain ATF temperature.

pupjoint

Known Member
Jun 3, 2007
boyzone, care to elaborate on the extend gearbox life? are you saying that stock cooling is not enough? if yes, how much is stock and how much is after adding?

maintain ATF temp? that is wrong. maintaing the temp is already done by the cooler that is already fitted to the car from factory.

fitting an additional cooler is supposed to reduce it.

the whole cooling ATF saga started from the PV6 issues, but do take note that these happened because the cooler was removed than the factory ahd intended.

my suggestion is if your car is not a PV6, i dont really see the benefit of adding an additional cooler especially if your car comes with Aisin box.

popout

Known Member
Sep 5, 2006
so that mean the ATF cooler is useless right??

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
Just remember

Mivec is high rev engine, gear rotation is much higher than those normal engine.

Last edited:

popout

Known Member
Sep 5, 2006
aiya so confuse la . so the mivec is recomended to install or not??

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Dear pupjoint,

i dont think boyzone is wrong... even a stock standard car in test center, they will not rev the engine till red line that often or full throttle to make gearbox kickdown, therefore an atf cooler is needed no matter your vehicle is original or modified as long as you "fully utilise" the engine & gearbox, it is a further protection of your gear oil and parts.

I used to have atf cooler on my ex-ride, but i didn't install oil press and temp sensor at gearbox so i don't know wats the difference, but u can feel the difference when u drive under hot sun or speeding...

My current ride fitted with engine oil cooler, the temp maintain at the standard one, but it wont go over it, my piping is damn long ( from right to left) but my oil pressure is 3.5kg idling 9.5kg rev, the oil pump is stock standard so... really dun have anything to complaint abt leh..

pupjoint

Known Member
Jun 3, 2007
hi zac, i did not say he was wrong completely. but he did mention the ATF was used to MAINTAIN temperature, this is not true because 99% of automatic cars out there actually already have a built in cooler, either in the radiator or a separate heat exchanger.

in any test centre, before any car is sold, they are subjected to extreme tests. i did not say adding ATF cooler is not good, but one must know the exact difference before and after adding to make any changes worthwhile.

Also, almost 90% of the pumps used in gearbox and engine are positive displacement pumps. rerouting any piping to any cooler or even external oil filter, there are bound to have line losses. this is a concern since day one and if you notice, all oil cooler kits will recommend you to keep the lines as short as possible.

Jack_Hon

Known Member
Jun 24, 2007
For normal car, no need to added external ATF cooler, intergrad ATF cooler bottom of the radiator........

For modified car, sure definetly need external ATF cooler in order to reduce ATF temp.............

if modified car.........no extrenal ATF cooler, friction clutch disc so easily worn out.........

It's just depend u want install external oil cooler or not only.......if added definetly AT life span more longer.....

the same thing with human...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anyone know wheres to find gud and fine suspension shop around selangor.im looking tien absorber.

*pls dunt say Links shop because that shop little bit expansive i think.
TQ :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience