Are Lightweight Rims worth the investment?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have seen a few test comparisons before by some international media. Coz they measure power on wheels, got slight increase when changing to lighter wheels.
you got any links? Interesting how a heavy rim saps power

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
thanks all.
I'm looking at advanti rims because most aftermarket lightweight rims do not have pcd 4 x 114.3 which renders limited choices.
have you all heard from Kean Lee Hin store at jalan ipoh, which is one of the authorized supplier for Advanti rims?

Will the gap between the fender and the tyre look weird with aftermarket lightweight rims?
Yes, Kean Lee HIn is YHI dealer, Yokohama tyres and YHI deal in a few brands of rims.
Get the correct offset and tyre size, then will look good. Want to rims to look bigger need to get the design with the spokes reaching the edge of the rims....

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Yes, Kean Lee HIn is YHI dealer, Yokohama tyres and YHI deal in a few brands of rims.
Get the correct offset and tyre size, then will look good. Want to rims to look bigger need to get the design with the spokes reaching the edge of the rims....
nowadays the standard offset for 15" is always +35. hahaha. go all shops, +35. if want specific offset then need to order.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
YHI is the same as YHI Advanti with its plant ni Bukit Rambai?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
nowadays the standard offset for 15" is always +35. hahaha. go all shops, +35. if want specific offset then need to order.
My son's Swift also now use 15x7 et35 coz it's the best offset to just lineup with the fenders.
20200712_124031.jpg

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Here are some newer ones:
I dunno man.

the 2nd and 3rd video examples show a difference in diameter. Hypothetically - If traction wasn't a factor - switching from a 15" to 12" tyre and wheel package would technically increase acceleration for a car. However if the same car switched from 15" to a lighter 15" with the same HP (power), then acceleration should improve which is what I've been saying - response. It doesn't increase HP.

Engineering explained talked about rotational mass - that one I can agree. I'm trying to apply the concept in my head and it's giving my headaches. His bicycle wheel example compares one low profile vs one high profile wheel and according to his theory the higher profile wheel will be quicker to roll down the hill even though both are the same diameter. But in a real car situation - a smaller wheel bigger profile tyre wouldn't deliver the same kind of blistering performance feel due to tyre flex and probably other things I don't understand.

Right now I'm talking about improving performance by means of response, ie-acceleration resulting from changing 15" heavy to 15" lightweight rims.

Can an asian dude with good maths please come in explain to us if this improves HP as well? Because I don't think it does. I agree it improves acceleration because the rotational mass is less but does higher acceleration = higher HP? Or just less resistance to the torque needed to turn that mass?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I dunno man.

the 2nd and 3rd video examples show a difference in diameter. Hypothetically - If traction wasn't a factor - switching from a 15" to 12" tyre and wheel package would technically increase acceleration for a car. However if the same car switched from 15" to a lighter 15" with the same HP (power), then acceleration should improve which is what I've been saying - response. It doesn't increase HP.

Engineering explained talked about rotational mass - that one I can agree. I'm trying to apply the concept in my head and it's giving my headaches. His bicycle wheel example compares one low profile vs one high profile wheel and according to his theory the higher profile wheel will be quicker to roll down the hill even though both are the same diameter. But in a real car situation - a smaller wheel bigger profile tyre wouldn't deliver the same kind of blistering performance feel due to tyre flex and probably other things I don't understand.

Right now I'm talking about improving performance by means of response, ie-acceleration resulting from changing 15" heavy to 15" lightweight rims.

Can an asian dude with good maths please come in explain to us if this improves HP as well? Because I don't think it does. I agree it improves acceleration because the rotational mass is less but does higher acceleration = higher HP? Or just less resistance to the torque needed to turn that mass?
The difference in diameter is just the wheels but not the overall diameter, at least not significantly. But the weight difference are significant there. This is talking about transferring power to the ground. If there's no additional power going to the ground to move the car quicker then what does?? Power at the engine is the same but there's not as much loss used to rotate the mass of the wheels hence enabling the power more to move the car.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

is alrdy year end and every year end many things will happen especially rob and brak-in cases

every year end thieves and robbers are like any company's wan to close their account for the year....so thieves and robbers will do anything to rob you, brake in to ur house, steal ur cars or just brake-in to ur car and steal the things in ur car....year after year the thieves and robbers are getting more dangerous they can even kill the person they rob just for the money or the things they have...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience