Active Spoiler

Dec 5, 2007
Hey -

The following video is a concept active spoiler that we designed and manufactured as a part of a University Project. Please look at the video and let us know what you think of it. The looks (we understand its a 'wood spoiler' but we are interested in the lift mechanism and what you think of how that looks), speed, would you buy it and anything else you feel is applicable! We are looking for general opinions and feed back.

YouTube - Active Spoiler

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
wanna do like veyron huh??... haha...

here some of my thoughts...
u will need linear actuators to make it move up and down... best if u can angle the spoiler to certain degree to achieve different amount of downforce... by jz moving it up and down wont give u significant difference in downforce....

whats the goal u trying to achieve through this??... air braking above certain speed??... or altering different amount of downforce at different speed to gain best speed-to-downforce ratio??... or both of it... doing either one will limit the level of programming needed... doing both will be a little more complicated...

fishpool

Dec 5, 2007
we actually already have it moving, the linked video shows its movement.

the lift bars are actually curved to increase the angle of attack as it raises. its meant to catch ones eye as well as produce a greater downforce

hoxy

Known Member
Oct 8, 2007
hehe... ive seen an episode in top gear where there is a a car using this kind of concept. Clarkson comments on this is if a police sees this car when having spoiler up, then the police will know this guy is speeding, lol. No need speedmeter, just see those spoiler... haha

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
hehe... ive seen an episode in top gear where there is a a car using this kind of concept. Clarkson comments on this is if a police sees this car when having spoiler up, then the police will know this guy is speeding, lol. No need speedmeter, just see those spoiler... haha
That's not completely accurate. When Bugatti designed the car, they mated two Audi V8 engines together and slapped in something like 4 turbos to get 1,000hp but even then they did not manage to reach their target topspeed of 400kph. They were short by something like 30kph and no longer having anymore room to make the engine more powerful they decided to play with the aerodynamics.

As I understand it, at certain high speeds, the car body lowers itself and the spoiler folds away to present the minimum drag. But once cornering, braking (increased downforce) is required, the spoiler pops back up again.

I still do not fully understand when the Veyron spoiler will deploy, but according to Clarkson the deceleration Gs from the spoiler braking alone is as much as maximum braking in a good car. When that is combined with the Veyron's ceramic brakes, the Gs can be brutal.

hoxy

Known Member
Oct 8, 2007
That's not completely accurate. When Bugatti designed the car, they mated two Audi V8 engines together and slapped in something like 4 turbos to get 1,000hp but even then they did not manage to reach their target topspeed of 400kph. They were short by something like 30kph and no longer having anymore room to make the engine more powerful they decided to play with the aerodynamics.

As I understand it, at certain high speeds, the car body lowers itself and the spoiler folds away to present the minimum drag. But once cornering, braking (increased downforce) is required, the spoiler pops back up again.

I still do not fully understand when the Veyron spoiler will deploy, but according to Clarkson the deceleration Gs from the spoiler braking alone is as much as maximum braking in a good car. When that is combined with the Veyron's ceramic brakes, the Gs can be brutal.

hehe... tht is quite a memory you have there. Do you read Berita Harian today? Chimps make chumps of university students in memory tests
hehe

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
veyron air brakes deploy under heavy deceleration... if u watch veyron video clips, the rear spoiler is angled more than 45 degrees to maximize the air braking efficiency...