A/C routine maitenance?

lewcheeheng

lewcheeheng

Nov 20, 2014
Johor
Dear All Sifu,

My ride has reached 60k mileage, heard friends adv for air-con routine services in order to avoid compressor issue in later stage, cost at RM4.5K. As adv to do the whole preventive maitenance such as clean the cooling coil, vacuum and flush the a/c system, change new dryer and expansion valve, most importantly, replace the compressor oil and gas.

Is it necessary to be done? cost estimated about RM350-500. However, from EON they didn't do it and it also indicted in our services schedule list. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

xbalance2002

1,000 RPM

xbalance2002

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
yes try to schedule in for service if it later compressor shell life reduce ...cost more money.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Dear All Sifu,

My ride has reached 60k mileage, heard friends adv for air-con routine services in order to avoid compressor issue in later stage, cost at RM4.5K. As adv to do the whole preventive maitenance such as clean the cooling coil, vacuum and flush the a/c system, change new dryer and expansion valve, most importantly, replace the compressor oil and gas.

Is it necessary to be done? cost estimated about RM350-500. However, from EON they didn't do it and it also indicted in our services schedule list. :confused:

Thanks in advance.
This has always been the chicken and egg story.
Some do yearly maintenance, some do only when there is a problem. To service yearly say at RM450, so ten years also spend RM4.5k, some say their air con break down in ten years so equal amount spend, unless compressor breaks down earlier, but most of the time usually is the receiver dryer that needs changing.
Newer cars now have air con filter so no need service the cooling coil....:smokin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Dear All Sifu,

Thanks in advance.
Some do yearly maintenance, some do only when there is a problem. To service yearly say at RM450, so ten years also spend RM4.5k, some say their air con break down in ten years so equal amount spend, unless compressor breaks down earlier, but most of the time usually is the receiver dryer that needs changing.
Newer cars now have air con filter so no need service the cooling coil....:smokin:
AC compressor is also like a small engine with pistons inside. Now imagine if you never change the compressor oil, what will happen? Imagine if you keep feeding it dirty gas, what will happen? Surely your AC system will get broken, so of course AC also needs maintenance! Normally at least change the compressor oil, change the cabin filter, clean everything, and check the gas and replace if necessary at every 40k km, not every year. These should cost only around rm200-300 depending on the workshops. Dryer filter and expansion valve are not mandatory to replace. Fail to do those and be prepared to spend several thousands to replace a broken compressor plus everything else!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
AC compressor is also like a small engine with pistons inside. Now imagine if you never change the compressor oil, what will happen? Imagine if you keep feeding it dirty gas, what will happen? Surely your AC system will get broken, so of course AC also needs maintenance! Normally at least change the compressor oil, change the cabin filter, clean everything, and check the gas and replace if necessary at every 40k km, not every year. These should cost only around rm200-300 depending on the workshops. Dryer filter and expansion valve are not mandatory to replace. Fail to do those and be prepared to spend several thousands to replace a broken compressor plus everything else!
Air con is a closed system. For me, I only touch the system when have problem and that can be quite a few years. If got leak, then need to repair, re-oil and re-gas.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'm a bit hesitant to touch the aircon components since there's nothing that's serviceable. The only thing you can really do is to keep the foot well area clean and dust free so it doesn't get sucked in by the aircon in recirculation mode and clog up the coils and blower etc.

Only thing you can do is keep your cabin clean and change the aircon filter regularly.

6uest - how would the compressor oil get dirty just from compression and all?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I'm a bit hesitant to touch the aircon components since there's nothing that's serviceable. The only thing you can really do is to keep the foot well area clean and dust free so it doesn't get sucked in by the aircon in recirculation mode and clog up the coils and blower etc.

Only thing you can do is keep your cabin clean and change the aircon filter regularly.

Newer car with cabin air filter is easy, those older cars without then problem. By the time the cooling coil gets stuck and is taken out to service will also be a few years and if after cleaning find some worn out areas again chicken and egg story. Mechanic will ask you whether want to change or not. Might last some time or even can leak in short term. If leak in short term, taking out to replace will cost plenty for workmanship, vacuum, re-oil and re-gas again.....:smokin:

Oil dirty because of wear and tear of the pistons working, but not dirty like engine oil, more like atf or power steering fluid...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
So means my kancil need to change the receiver dryer? Got dust or if u call it Ice Up smell...

Aircond doesnt ice up, just got funny smell..like the car is full of dust smell but no dust hahaha!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So means my kancil need to change the receiver dryer? Got dust or if u call it Ice Up smell...

Aircond doesnt ice up, just got funny smell..like the car is full of dust smell but no dust hahaha!
Receiver dryer is like a filter. If used long time already best to change. If not long ago, can still use back. One way you can tell is when the receiver dryer ice up, means it is stuck, need to change.....

Probably your car got smell dy, like that day bro. Izso sat in my VR commented got that old car smell....cannot be help 23 years dy.....:smokin:

Kopi

500 RPM

Kopi

500 RPM
May 18, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
I'd do the compressor oil a week or two after timing belt (80,000km belt change);

just something from what I do know however :
If you top up the AC gas or 'servis aircond'... and just later after top up the gas, when you drive, you turn on the aircond and the car acceleration gets unusually heavy unlike before you top up gas, it does mean your compressor oil is very, very bad (thickened out) - then only you go for compressor service. If not, then cuci blower only, insert new gas. Doesn't even need to change dryer canister or re-oil compressor. Oklaaa... if got extra money dunno where to spend... change the canister oso can.

p/s : the 'hapak'/old-aroma aircond 'fragrance'... I like it very much. It's weirdly - relaxing. LoL!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Air con is a closed system. For me, I only touch the system when have problem and that can be quite a few years. If got leak, then need to repair, re-oil and re-gas.
You just pray your compressor would not make a louder humming/snorring sound. If already happens like that then it's too late already. Other problems like leakage is still not too bad since not too expensive to replace/repair, but what I'm careful about is maintaining the compressor.

Well just like engine oil, the compressor oil also have a limited usage/duration as it's subject to wear and tear of the compressor piston movement and heat. If you leave it, then of course the quality gets worse and it will get darker. Last time I also did not care until the compressor got broken and had to fork out >1k to replace, then I learned my lesson already. Afterwards I will always change at least the compressor oil every 40-50k km hence I don't experience compressor problems anymore.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You just pray your compressor would not make a louder humming/snorring sound. If already happens like that then it's too late already. Other problems like leakage is still not too bad since not too expensive to replace/repair, but what I'm careful about is maintaining the compressor.
Yup, my Sonata change compressor once after bought over not too long, but that one now use at least 10 years already.
VR one change recon one also use like 7 years already, so still worth it.....:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Well just like engine oil, the compressor oil also have a limited usage/duration as it's subject to wear and tear of the compressor piston movement and heat. If you leave it, then of course the quality gets worse and it will get darker. Last time I also did not care until the compressor got broken and had to fork out >1k to replace, then I learned my lesson already. Afterwards I will always change at least the compressor oil every 40-50k km hence I don't experience compressor problems anymore.
Eh.. can't compare with engine oil since the engine isn't a close system. Intake manifold and combustion will pollute the oil. Air con don't have any intake or combustion so technically it shouldn't get dirty right? :hmmmm:

So let me understand this, you change your compressor oil at certain intervals? My Myvi only had the oil changed after 7 years of usage and the whole air con setup revamped only after 7 years (new compressor included). Only thing I ever did for maintenance was change the aircon filter and clear out dust near the blower area.

So how often should I change my oil then in my case? The user manual doesn't say anything about changing out the oil too. But at the same time if it's working for you (longer lifespan of compressor) then it's worth looking into. Bugger compressor is bloody expensive!

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Eh.. can't compare with engine oil since the engine isn't a close system. Intake manifold and combustion will pollute the oil. Air con don't have any intake or combustion so technically it shouldn't get dirty right? :hmmmm:

So let me understand this, you change your compressor oil at certain intervals? My Myvi only had the oil changed after 7 years of usage and the whole air con setup revamped only after 7 years (new compressor included). Only thing I ever did for maintenance was change the aircon filter and clear out dust near the blower area.

So how often should I change my oil then in my case? The user manual doesn't say anything about changing out the oil too. But at the same time if it's working for you (longer lifespan of compressor) then it's worth looking into. Bugger compressor is bloody expensive!
Even though AC compressor is a closed system but it's still subject to heat and continuous forces from the piston movements. You just have a look at the oil, it will get very dark, then compare with the new oil and you'll see a huge difference.
Yes I change at around 40-50k km intervals which for me around once every 2.5-3.5yrs, so IMHO it's really worth it just to spend about rm200-300 per change.
User manual might not mention, but the regular maintenance schedule should have it. I think my Livina maintenance schedule has it at 40k km, and I think your Sylphy also should have (not sure about Perodua though).

I know this is one of the most neglected maintenance of a car. So when I buy a used car, this AC oil is the first thing I'd also change and they're ALWAYS very dark when it came out!

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
My compressor had a problem with the clutch being worn out recently and a simple mod makes it run again.
my mileage is 186k km,waja 2002 model.

if i were to change the oil at 50k km interval the cost will be like 600-900.
when i ask for a quote of a recond compressor complete with installation and gas,vacuum..the whole package,its rm600.

I think it really comes down to what u r driving.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My mechanic told me my car brakes are imbalance,

Meaning when emergency braking, the car will go to one side, and wont stop in straight manner.

Can anyone whom experienced such braking problem share whats the cause of brake imbalance?

Also opinion of anyone whom know how to solve the problem is welcomed...:wavey:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience