4g13 talks

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Then tell me is it worth it to install the cam tat i have shown above. What are the pros and cons after i install the cam
frankly speaking, i think most of us have already said a piece...

i do wonder tho.. what are you expecting from this set of cams. And its a serious question, not trying to be snarky or anything.
frankly speaking from the cams ALONE you wont get much, more 'major' mods usually require supporting upgrades...
and the cam pulleys alone, like parakee mentioned will only 'shift' the powerband, which usually means you end up with garbage low end or no top end....

engines this old with little tech suffer from this kind of issues. you tend to have to make sacrifices in other areas to gain in certain others.more modern engines tend to have tech to 'compensate' in areas where they lack.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
at least on the positive side, he will learn a lesson by doing this. dont let him down with a frown. let him gain knowledge from his modding.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
pipercam brand.. but i just spoke with my pomen.. he said if wanna cam scare after installation need to change the injector and add piggyback somemore to support the cam. Lot of hassle. He advices me just to change cam pulley to adj one.
sigh..

this is what I was talking about. Study la bro. My 4G15 only had a cam pulley. Didn't use any ECU other than standard ECU. But that's because the overlap or lift is too much for the ecu to balance out. You'll need the piggyback or a standalone to manage the idling. But with a mild cam you don't have too much to worry about. And you don't need to upgrade your injectors la, you're not going full on high cams.

Seriously find another mech/tuner if this is what this guy is saying....

But again - back to my earlier question - why do you need the cam la? It doesn't do much if your engine is this stock. Maybe a small power gain here and there but SOHC just basically means you move the powerband around a little, not so much have massive gains. You want massive go for turbo

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
at least on the positive side, he will learn a lesson by doing this. dont let him down with a frown. let him gain knowledge from his modding.
hehe not really my place to say this, but i takut he mod and throw lots into the car, then realize, the gains dont really reflect. nanti paranoid xmau mod car liao. This kinda engine imo best left mostly stock.... light mods only....lightened bits here and there are fine (dont significantly buang weight off the flywheel or anything that extreme)

well known fact, the roi for na cars is already so low... and these simple BUT not simple enough engines are not exactly the platforms where the gains are that significant.

**just realized its a carb > efi conversion.... the carb would have been nice here

Last edited:
Reactions: leinnz

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
sigh..

this is what I was talking about. Study la bro. My 4G15 only had a cam pulley. Didn't use any ECU other than standard ECU. But that's because the overlap or lift is too much for the ecu to balance out. You'll need the piggyback or a standalone to manage the idling. But with a mild cam you don't have too much to worry about. And you don't need to upgrade your injectors la, you're not going full on high cams.

Seriously find another mech/tuner if this is what this guy is saying....

But again - back to my earlier question - why do you need the cam la? It doesn't do much if your engine is this stock. Maybe a small power gain here and there but SOHC just basically means you move the powerband around a little, not so much have massive gains. You want massive go for turbo
That was why bro. lsm and me talking about snails/siput......lol

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
hehe not really my place to say this, but i takut he mod and throw lots into the car, then realize, the gains dont really reflect. nanti paranoid xmau mod car liao. This kinda engine imo best left mostly stock.... light mods only....lightened bits here and there are fine (dont significantly buang weight off the flywheel or anything that extreme)

well known fact, the roi for na cars is already so low... and these simple BUT not simple enough engines are not exactly the platforms where the gains are that significant.

**just realized its a carb > efi conversion.... the carb would have been nice here
Carb mod weber can get more power......lol

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
In other words, let him burn?
let him gain the knowledge he want to have. he is curious to know what are the effects/gains/loss from his modifications. EInstein fails many times before his major success. same goes to jack ma

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
let him gain the knowledge he want to have. he is curious to know what are the effects/gains/loss from his modifications. EInstein fails many times before his major success. same goes to jack ma
I think most of us went through that stage already......hahahha

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yea... in this case particularly... carbs would have made more power... and is probably more mod friendly if the purse strings xmau bukak besar
My mechanic and myself played around those days. The weber in the 3rd Gen Civic was fast. I did it to my 2nd Gen Accord face lift model, that one probably body weight heavy, improve slightly only......lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Why would you want to put nitrous oxide injection in your car?

Because it's the easiest, most powerful and cheapest way to produce horsepower!
I get a lot of emails with questions about nitrous, "what's nitrous?", "how does it work?", "will it blow up my engine?", "how much does it cost?". The purpose of these pages is to answer questions like this, my goal is to have something here for everyone, from complete beginners to experienced nitrous heads.

Pls visit pro Nos Tuning...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience