4-2-1? 4-1? Extractors broken down!

monsh

Known Member
Mar 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
i got a question .
lets say if i were to get muffler and mid box with inlet size 2.1" ID, is it ok to use pipe size 1.8" ID because i dont want to lose much on the low end power.

and also to maintain fuel consumption rate .

wan_k278

Feb 12, 2012
Shah Alam
guys, currently, i am owned sentra n16..last week, i went to Exhaust Workshop at Sunway (I forgot shop name).. the mechanic advise me to change stainless steel extractor 4-2-1 but now OEM is 4-1..in my daily travel, all the way from shah alam to KL and Putrajaya..some use highway and some on city road..and yet, I maintain to change gear at 2,500 - 3,000 RPM because of maintain FC and want to get a pickup..but sometimes, I'll rive up my pedal and gain 4,000 - 5,000 RPM went to take slow car in fornt of me and by the time "kena cucuk"..my question is,what types of extractor do I need to change..?? i love my car now on pickup..but any sugesstion from u guys..please shares with me..tq.

aHLengChai

Known Member
Aug 21, 2006
change my waja 4g18 manual exhaust system.. stock was 4-1 with catalytic blablabla muffler staandart bla bla to zenden 4-2-1 + zenden twister center bullet + supermegaphone sflow.. currently lose alil bit pickup from standart setting.. but saving more fuel.. haha :rolleyes:

should i change the muffler to straight flow?

=..=

Aug 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
guys,

my car is standard neo (non cps).

proton is selling extractor for neo cps. if i use this would it be beneficial?

=..=

Aug 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Not much gain but it makes thebpower comes abit more early.

Damn..that 15 inch rim is cheap....
yeah those rims quite cheap, last time checked with proton 6.5kg/piece.

the extractor stated there is for cps so i guess it was 'designed' for the cps engine maybe will not ngam abit with my engine.

would this r3 extractor be better suited for my non cps satria neo or any other aftermarket brand.?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
i think not suitable with normal campro lah.
there are some high end brand such as supercircuit or hotbits.
these item can be sold with little price drop onve u want to sell the car.

normal affordable are like jasma.

u can go with no brand but it will be a gamble.some do last long and have same performance with branded one.
most of my friend runs on cheap white steel extractor and seems to last long.

#OGPIM

Known Member
Jul 9, 2016
KUALA LUMPUR

I pretty much know what I want in my extractors. It has to be tuned length, ceramic coated, mandrel bent and I want a 4-2-1 setup. But I get asked "why?" so often I get tired of explaining.

So what I've done here is extracted Drexchan's entire explanation on how to choose an extractor based on what your preferences are.

Enjoy!

(Words and pictures courtesy of Drexchan and all are his intellectual property but edited for clarity)

Exhaust extractor FAQ: 4-2-1 or 4-1 better?

There isn't a simple answer. Asking the question is making the situation complicated already.

Lets go through two hypothetical graphs before I elaborate more.

GRAPH 1) Typical gain from a 4-2-1 and a 4-1 compared to standard.

**go google the relationship between power and torque

A typical 4-2-1 makes good gain from low-mid rev range to rev cut, without losing the low range.
A typical 4-1 makes huge gain from mid rev range to cut, but losing the low range slightly.

SO WHICH IS BETTER? This is a question you should ask yourself.

GRAPH 2) Typical revolution vs velocity relation for a 5-speed manual transmission

**revolution is RPM lah...
**velocity is speed lor....
**applicable for automatic transmission too

Now, check Graph 2, compare that to your driving style, see which rev range you use most (in normal driving, highway cruising, and sprint). Then compare that with Graph 1, see which type of extractor suits you.

Situation A:
You are doing a sprint, you will only use zone A (1k rpm to 3k rpm) once or twice and from 3rd gear on wards you will be using zone B (3k rpm to 6k rpm). So you want a 4-1 because it gains more in that range. Whatever gain in zone A (from a 4-2-1) is near to useless to you, and the gain in zone B from a typical 4-2-1 is lower than that from a typical 4-1. So a 4-1 is better for sprint.

Situation B:
You drive the car in town with traffic and you shift at 4k rpm max. You will need a 4-2-1 because you will be using the low to mid range most. The loss in zone A from a typical 4-1 will make your car more lethargic to drive at low speed with high gear ratios.

Situation C:
You are cruising on highway in 5th gear at 110km/h or slightly higher, and occasionally speed up to 140km/h to overtake some slow cars. You will be using zone B most of the time. So a typical 4-1 will be more suitable for you.

Situation D:
TOP SPEED? From the graphs, it has to be a 4-1 but since aerodynamic property of the entire car is more important at that speed, you won't experience much differences between the two. One may find the need to use 4th gear instead of 5th when a 4-2-1 is used, and it's easier in 5th with a 4-1.

So, it's all about the power band! Nothing to do with 4-2-1 or 4-1. It's also about how you use the power band, nothing to do with 4-2-1 or 4-1. CLEAR?

:biggrin:
Hi

Im a newbie. Just started tuning my Satria 4G92.
Im into Touge ( not really it straight road drag ).
Which sort of extractor suits my style the most.

Hope to hear from you real soon.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Hi

To quote Izso's post:

GRAPH 1) Typical gain from a 4-2-1 and a 4-1 compared to standard.

**go google the relationship between power and torque

A typical 4-2-1 makes good gain from low-mid rev range to rev cut, without losing the low range.
A typical 4-1 makes huge gain from mid rev range to cut, but losing the low range slightly.

GRAPH 2) Typical revolution vs velocity relation for a 5-speed manual transmission

**revolution is RPM lah...
**velocity is speed lor....
**applicable for automatic transmission too

Now, check Graph 2, compare that to your driving style, see which rev range you use most (in normal driving, highway cruising, and sprint). Then compare that with Graph 1, see which type of extractor suits you.

I would say best is this:

Situation B:
You drive the car in town with traffic and you shift at 4k rpm max. You will need a 4-2-1 because you will be using the low to mid range most. The loss in zone A from a typical 4-1 will make your car more lethargic to drive at low speed with high gear ratios.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thanks Sanekit. You've pretty much covered it all.

And it also boils down to your driving style.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hi

Take 4-2-1. I've changed to 4-2-1 few months ago and I'm quite happy with the results. Improvements without any downsides.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Hi

Bro for your 92 you're spoiled with a few choices of 4-2-1's on the market. The points of where the pipes sambung will change the feel of your engine.

But if you're lazy to kira2 or chase power just go buy some 'kedai kuning' 4-2-1. They all make power, it's just when in the powerband it makes power and how much.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Take 4-2-1. I've changed to 4-2-1 few months ago and I'm quite happy with the results. Improvements without any downsides.
What sort of extractors would perform worse than a stock log manifold? :rofl: You go for 4-1 also it'll make power.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys , recently my Wira car got some engine starting problem , whenever i started the engine , the engine will become weak , and failed to operate , this makes me everytime when starting the car , hv to accel 1st to warm up the engine it just will become stable , can somebody tell me what kind of things is spoil oledi in my car ??

sry for poor english writing !!! :tongue:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience