4-2-1? 4-1? Extractors broken down!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I pretty much know what I want in my extractors. It has to be tuned length, ceramic coated, mandrel bent and I want a 4-2-1 setup. But I get asked "why?" so often I get tired of explaining.

So what I've done here is extracted Drexchan's entire explanation on how to choose an extractor based on what your preferences are.

Enjoy!

(Words and pictures courtesy of Drexchan and all are his intellectual property but edited for clarity)

Exhaust extractor FAQ: 4-2-1 or 4-1 better?

There isn't a simple answer. Asking the question is making the situation complicated already.

Lets go through two hypothetical graphs before I elaborate more.

GRAPH 1) Typical gain from a 4-2-1 and a 4-1 compared to standard.

**go google the relationship between power and torque

A typical 4-2-1 makes good gain from low-mid rev range to rev cut, without losing the low range.
A typical 4-1 makes huge gain from mid rev range to cut, but losing the low range slightly.

SO WHICH IS BETTER? This is a question you should ask yourself.

GRAPH 2) Typical revolution vs velocity relation for a 5-speed manual transmission

**revolution is RPM lah...
**velocity is speed lor....
**applicable for automatic transmission too

Now, check Graph 2, compare that to your driving style, see which rev range you use most (in normal driving, highway cruising, and sprint). Then compare that with Graph 1, see which type of extractor suits you.

Situation A:
You are doing a sprint, you will only use zone A (1k rpm to 3k rpm) once or twice and from 3rd gear on wards you will be using zone B (3k rpm to 6k rpm). So you want a 4-1 because it gains more in that range. Whatever gain in zone A (from a 4-2-1) is near to useless to you, and the gain in zone B from a typical 4-2-1 is lower than that from a typical 4-1. So a 4-1 is better for sprint.

Situation B:
You drive the car in town with traffic and you shift at 4k rpm max. You will need a 4-2-1 because you will be using the low to mid range most. The loss in zone A from a typical 4-1 will make your car more lethargic to drive at low speed with high gear ratios.

Situation C:
You are cruising on highway in 5th gear at 110km/h or slightly higher, and occasionally speed up to 140km/h to overtake some slow cars. You will be using zone B most of the time. So a typical 4-1 will be more suitable for you.

Situation D:
TOP SPEED? From the graphs, it has to be a 4-1 but since aerodynamic property of the entire car is more important at that speed, you won't experience much differences between the two. One may find the need to use 4th gear instead of 5th when a 4-2-1 is used, and it's easier in 5th with a 4-1.

So, it's all about the power band! Nothing to do with 4-2-1 or 4-1. It's also about how you use the power band, nothing to do with 4-2-1 or 4-1. CLEAR?

:biggrin:

Attachments

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
but there's the hybrid 4-2-2-1 headers that combines the best of both. i'd take that anyday!

great write up, gives a good insight on understanding one of the most asked question.

denyal

Nov 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Situation A:
You are doing a sprint, you will only use zone A (1k rpm to 3k rpm) once or twice and from 3rd gear on wards you will be using zone B (3k rpm to 6k rpm). So you want a 4-1 because it gains more in that range. Whatever gain in zone A (from a 4-2-1) is near to useless to you, and the gain in zone B from a typical 4-2-1 is lower than that from a typical 4-1. So a 4-1 is better for sprint.

Situation B:
You drive the car in town with traffic and you shift at 4k rpm max. You will need a 4-2-1 because you will be using the low to mid range most. The loss in zone A from a typical 4-1 will make your car more lethargic to drive at low speed with high gear ratios.

Situation C:
You are cruising on highway in 5th gear at 110km/h or slightly higher, and occasionally speed up to 140km/h to overtake some slow cars. You will be using zone B most of the time. So a typical 4-1 will be more suitable for you.

Situation D:
TOP SPEED? From the graphs, it has to be a 4-1 but since aerodynamic property of the entire car is more important at that speed, you won't experience much differences between the two. One may find the need to use 4th gear instead of 5th when a 4-2-1 is used, and it's easier in 5th with a 4-1.

So, it's all about the power band! Nothing to do with 4-2-1 or 4-1. It's also about how you use the power band, nothing to do with 4-2-1 or 4-1. CLEAR?

:biggrin:

i really like the situations and those recommendations as well..:biggrin::itsme:

zec22

Sep 25, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Does the type of gearbox affect the differences in extractors too ?

I see that the second graph is applicable for auto transmissions too but I've asked around before. All I got back was that the auto box needs more back pressure and was advised to go with the 4-2-1 instead of the 4-1.

Sorry if I posted anything silly. Newbie here.

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
whoa... the back pressure... thats fluid mechanic.. thats not silly question... go on, i'd like to know this too.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Does the type of gearbox affect the differences in extractors too ?

I see that the second graph is applicable for auto transmissions too but I've asked around before. All I got back was that the auto box needs more back pressure and was advised to go with the 4-2-1 instead of the 4-1.

Sorry if I posted anything silly. Newbie here.
whoa... the back pressure... thats fluid mechanic.. thats not silly question... go on, i'd like to know this too.
Auto gearboxes rely to a certain extent on the backpressure to change gears. Last time I plonked in a straight flow setup for my car for experiment and even when driving slow, the gear would only change at 3.5k rpm. It was ridiculously hard to drive!

4-2-1 or 4-1 will not affect the back pressure, it's the end muffler (and to some extent the center muffler / resonator). S-Flow, straight flow, twin-loop, etc all will either provide or remove back pressure.

Im lost !! Hahahah too much info :nurse:
Hehe.. well if you understand physics in general and how it applies to your car, this'll all make sense

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

make one review on TB? hehe
nice reading all yr post :)
Erm.. what sort of review you want?

but there's the hybrid 4-2-2-1 headers that combines the best of both. i'd take that anyday!

great write up, gives a good insight on understanding one of the most asked question.
4-2-2-1? Wah.. you'd need a pretty big amount of space to fit that if it's truly tuned length. Some cars like the Myvi can't really fit a 4-2-1 (even though there are some who claim theirs is) because it's just too small a space. And if there are 4-2-1 extractors for the Myvi, they aren't true 4-2-1 because they aren't tuned length and is probably working like a 4-1 anyway

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Oh I'd like to point out : This writeup is done by Drexchan. Not me. I'm just quoting it here and sharing with you guys

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
any reviews on fuel consumption between those 2 extractor? Normal condition and aggressive condition :adore:
I personally don't think extractors affect fuel consumption. The more aggressive you drive the more fuel you use.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi people! i just got a new APEXi turbo timer (black limited) which comes with A/F, O2, Batt, and Timer. Everything's working fine but the A/F reading shows nothing "--.-" in the first 2-3 minutes when i start my engine. is this normal or do i need to check my airflow sensor? the engine (4G93T - Auto) is half-cut just masuk last week, need to make sure i check EVERYTHING while still within the 10 days guarantee.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience