WTA about MR2s

HaizamB

Oct 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Dear sifus,

I'm kinda new in the car scene,and now its time i wanna buy my first car. I'm thinking of an MR2. Just wanna ask the sifus here before i commit:

1. How reliable is the car to be driven daily?
2. Are the parts easily available?
3. Cost to restore?
4. Cost of maintenance?

Any feedback from experienced sifus in this area is kindly appreciated. :adore:

yn_hell

Known Member
Jul 27, 2005
Petaling Jaya
its a 20+ years old car, problems here and there is unavoidable. some parts are easy to get, some parts are not, cost to fix also depends on the parts availability. but hey mine is a daily drive for 4+ years now, and i am still drivin it everyday. so yea its pretty reliable.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I believe that the 3s engines are pretty reliable. Even JGTC (toyota) cars are using them.

HaizamB

Oct 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
its a 20+ years old car, problems here and there is unavoidable. some parts are easy to get, some parts are not, cost to fix also depends on the parts availability. but hey mine is a daily drive for 4+ years now, and i am still drivin it everyday. so yea its pretty reliable.
Sounds promising :D Anyone knows any good SW20 MR2s for sale? I'm specifically looking for a manual one. So far I have found one that interests me on carlist:

1990 Toyota MR2 (M) 2.0L Selangor

No specs given but looks good. I'd love to check it out ASAP but will be very2 busy with work this week and probably next week as well. Any sifus wanna share experiences with this beauty of a car is highly appreciated :D

wsukun

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2008
London Calling
nice hardtop sw20. they are pretty rare considering u have one thing less to worry about (water leaking and etc).
try to join the mr2/mrs facebook group first. dont be hasty on purchasing one for yourself.
scout around and ask other mr2 past/current owners about the history of the car.

that MR2 is listed 1990. i think its the early zenki version but with the rear light swapped to the latter version, so yeah.
i bet the engine is the 245 version too for that kinda price u paying it better be!
but to be honest, RM56k is little steep for me. most important of all, any car u buy better be collision-free.
lots of changes of hands for these >20 years old cars. some have real dodgy history with no proper track of maintenance record.

last year i spotted a red AW11 completely stock except only the change of steering wheel selling for like RM35k.
iinm, its a one owner only car. no luck, i dint spotted that earlier before someone else grab that little rocket away.
AW11 has this little special place in my heart.

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
prepare 50k plus 10k all in cash
Then your journey be will delighted.

Does old sport car tends to rusty at lots places?
I believe these cars are keep in better condition right?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Rusting extent depends on the condition of the car. If rubber seals leak (like window seal, boot bonnet), then the rusting case is likely.
Since the car has frameless window, should the window seal deteriorates, wind noise is evident.

Anyway, like fellow forummers have suggested, take your time looking for a good example.

HaizamB

Oct 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
prepare 50k plus 10k all in cash
Then your journey be will delighted.

Does old sport car tends to rusty at lots places?
I believe these cars are keep in better condition right?
Hmmm.. I wonder if its possible to finance this car thru bank loans... and do the repairs with cash. Any ideas? If it is possible, hows the interest rate like?

Rusting extent depends on the condition of the car. If rubber seals leak (like window seal, boot bonnet), then the rusting case is likely.
Since the car has frameless window, should the window seal deteriorates, wind noise is evident.

Anyway, like fellow forummers have suggested, take your time looking for a good example.
Noted.. And do alert me if there is any for sale. Thanks heaps ;)

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

nice hardtop sw20. they are pretty rare considering u have one thing less to worry about (water leaking and etc).
try to join the mr2/mrs facebook group first. dont be hasty on purchasing one for yourself.
scout around and ask other mr2 past/current owners about the history of the car.

that MR2 is listed 1990. i think its the early zenki version but with the rear light swapped to the latter version, so yeah.
i bet the engine is the 245 version too for that kinda price u paying it better be!
but to be honest, RM56k is little steep for me. most important of all, any car u buy better be collision-free.
lots of changes of hands for these >20 years old cars. some have real dodgy history with no proper track of maintenance record.

last year i spotted a red AW11 completely stock except only the change of steering wheel selling for like RM35k.
iinm, its a one owner only car. no luck, i dint spotted that earlier before someone else grab that little rocket away.
AW11 has this little special place in my heart.
Will keep it in mind. I definitely will check the car and test drive before committing. Thanks for the advice. anyways i found another one:
http://www.mudah.my/Toyota+MR2+Turbo+245+M+-23950862.htm

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
for a car more than 15 years, you could only purchase 3rd party insurance (like it or not). I'm quite sure about it as I have a cousin owning a 20+ years Alfa.

So think carefully, if 50K car is covered only under 3rd party insurance. More risk you will be taking, if the car is a daily ride.

HaizamB

Oct 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
for a car more than 15 years, you could only purchase 3rd party insurance (like it or not). I'm quite sure about it as I have a cousin owning a 20+ years Alfa.

So think carefully, if 50K car is covered only under 3rd party insurance. More risk you will be taking, if the car is a daily ride.
Sorry, but I don't quite get what it means by 3rd party insurance. Told you all I'm very new in this motoring world. Tried googling but from my limited understanding of the insurance world, I can't comprehend the difference between third party and the usual ones. Kindly shed some lights into this issue, mate?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
In short,

If your car get involved in road accident involving others, the insurance claim is extended fixing the other party's car. No coverage offered to fix your car. You fix it with your own money.

Also, there is no compensation if your car is stolen.

This is why many cars that are after 15 years and above are "dingin" in the market, because of the nature of the insurance coverage in Malaysia.

fyi,

https://www.kurnia.com/malaysia/transactions/motorproduct.do

Last edited:

yn_hell

Known Member
Jul 27, 2005
Petaling Jaya
the best way is come and join our club's TT, then you can ask the sifus all the things u wanna know.
will pm you whenever there is one

HaizamB

Oct 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
In short,

If your car get involved in road accident involving others, the insurance claim is extended fixing the other party's car. No coverage offered to fix your car. You fix it with your own money.

Also, there is no compensation if your car is stolen.

This is why many cars that are after 15 years and above are "dingin" in the market, because of the nature of the insurance coverage in Malaysia.

fyi,

https://www.kurnia.com/malaysia/transactions/motorproduct.do
Thanks for the explaination. I guess I can live with that then. Just try not to crash.. lolz i hope i dont jinx myself..

the best way is come and join our club's TT, then you can ask the sifus all the things u wanna know.
will pm you whenever there is one
What's a TT? haha. I would love to join any events and meet fellow enthusiasts.. I just hope my working schedule permits me to do so..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys,

anyone know the cheapest place to get ngk plugs?

errr i think the code is BCP7ES or BCP7ES right (for 4g63)?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience