Wireless ICE (Lossless). The end of the headunit?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I've started re-venturing back into ICE (sort of) and now I have a demo setup in my car where the HU isn't the source of music. Instead it's an IPhone5 - specifically Spotify.

So basically the setup is Spotify (playing highest quality) plays on the IPhone, Airplay to my setup in the car which uses a receiver (supposed DLNA for Android and Airplay for IPhone) which is connected using optical to a processor and is then output to amps using optical (yes... optical). Zero loss of sound quality except for whatever tweaks you have in the processor.

And anyone with a Iphone/Android phone can play directly into the car and be the DJ for the day.

Anyone interested in this sort of setup?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
DIY what? My setup is already in the car. Not my components, just as a demo

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
How good is the sound quality compared to general 24bit hu?
It's pure fibre optics so sound is pretty clean. Too clean until you hear the flaws in your songs. So now I'm moving away from Spotify and going to FLAC. Spotify quality is surprisingly quite bad.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It's pure fibre optics so sound is pretty clean. Too clean until you hear the flaws in your songs. So now I'm moving away from Spotify and going to FLAC. Spotify quality is surprisingly quite bad.
Is it good to hear the flaws?...hahha
Last time I tested JVC high end wood cone, can hear the singer breathing and the person playing the cello, can hear her fingers rubbing against the strings when changing keys....too clear already...:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is it good to hear the flaws?...hahha
Last time I tested JVC high end wood cone, can hear the singer breathing and the person playing the cello, can hear her fingers rubbing against the strings when changing keys....too clear already...:biggrin:
Those sounds are great. I just hate those poor quality recordings, kinda spoils the whole sound quality. Kinda like how you record a CD and overplay the CD - end up the CD sounds blurred.

Plucking sounds, breathing sounds, and all that is good man!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Those sounds are great. I just hate those poor quality recordings, kinda spoils the whole sound quality. Kinda like how you record a CD and overplay the CD - end up the CD sounds blurred.

Plucking sounds, breathing sounds, and all that is good man!
You real audio kaki dy, have you listened to magneplanar speakers before? This also very good, but need pre and power amp to drive....:biggrin:

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't play home hifi. That one is worse than car audio man. No money for home hifi!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I've started re-venturing back into ICE (sort of) and now I have a demo setup in my car where the HU isn't the source of music. Instead it's an IPhone5 - specifically Spotify.

So basically the setup is Spotify (playing highest quality) plays on the IPhone, Airplay to my setup in the car which uses a receiver (supposed DLNA for Android and Airplay for IPhone) which is connected using optical to a processor and is then output to amps using optical (yes... optical). Zero loss of sound quality except for whatever tweaks you have in the processor.

And anyone with a Iphone/Android phone can play directly into the car and be the DJ for the day.

Anyone interested in this sort of setup?
What sort of receiver is it? How you intercept the audio signal from the phone/tablet? Is it thru bluetooth? Sorry I'm quite primitive now with this kinds of technology. :biggrin:

Some of the weaknesses I can think of for this setup are:
1. it will consume the battery of the phone/tablet very fast, isn't it?
2. If we want to change songs/browse songs then it will not be as easy cos the screen can be much smaller compared to normal double DIN HU. On top of that, if you're also using the phone for GPS navigation like Waze then it becomes more inconvenient, right?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What sort of receiver is it? How you intercept the audio signal from the phone/tablet? Is it thru bluetooth? Sorry I'm quite primitive now with this kinds of technology. :biggrin:

Some of the weaknesses I can think of for this setup are:
1. it will consume the battery of the phone/tablet very fast, isn't it?
2. If we want to change songs/browse songs then it will not be as easy cos the screen can be much smaller compared to normal double DIN HU. On top of that, if you're also using the phone for GPS navigation like Waze then it becomes more inconvenient, right?
In my case, the receiver supports both DLNA and Airplay and since I'm an iphone user, mine's airplay. How it works is it transfers wirelessly to the receiver and plays through the amps and all. Doesn't affect the phone or anything since airplay is separate from wifi and all that. Only thing is Waze will talk through your speakers rather than through your phone which is sometimes annoying depending on how shiok sendiri you are with the song you're playing.

Yes it does suck battery to some extent which is why I have a ciggie-usb-slot power charger connected directly to the phone when in need. Having said that I've driven to JB from KL on a single charge on the phone with Waze on so it's not that bad of a drain on my iphone. Haven't tried on the Android.

Only thing about Android is Spotify doesn't support DLNA (which is androids version of airplay). That means no streaming spotify on your system just because you're on an android phone.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
In my case, the receiver supports both DLNA and Airplay and since I'm an iphone user, mine's airplay. How it works is it transfers wirelessly to the receiver and plays through the amps and all. Doesn't affect the phone or anything since airplay is separate from wifi and all that. Only thing is Waze will talk through your speakers rather than through your phone which is sometimes annoying depending on how shiok sendiri you are with the song you're playing.

Yes it does suck battery to some extent which is why I have a ciggie-usb-slot power charger connected directly to the phone when in need. Having said that I've driven to JB from KL on a single charge on the phone with Waze on so it's not that bad of a drain on my iphone. Haven't tried on the Android.

Only thing about Android is Spotify doesn't support DLNA (which is androids version of airplay). That means no streaming spotify on your system just because you're on an android phone.
Hmm waze normally already sucks a lot of power on my android, charging from the ciggy also does not seem enough for my phone if using waze as it will still drop just not as fast. So if use this setup then should be even worse.

I never use spotify also, don't know if they have my type of music/artists, most likely not.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Do you think this engine oil is just really that bad? I thinking to use but after i saw a friend post this then i think i better you more branded engine oil. my service is coming soon also 0.o

The post too long so here is the story just share: Click Below can read.
Engine Up Engine Oil Sucks! Nearly damage my car!!!!!!!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience