Wastegate Explained.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
need advice from all sifu,
my current setup. 1.6 sohc bolt on turbo
td05 14b boosting 1.1bar.planning boosting 1.5bar soon
i just complete custom a water / methanol injection kit to my car,it activate on 0.85 bar.would like to install wastegate b4 tune my car.

1 ) 35 or 38mm suit it?
2 ) after install wastegate can i put back rear muffler to original like inlet & outter 2 inch, will it have back pressure issue?want make it silent .lound when boost.:proud:
I guess most of the aftermarket wastegate have 38mm wastegate nowadays.... Unless u're using the olschool TIAL and HKS where 35mm still exist.

Regarding this issue, 2" is too small for turbocharged exhaust system. IMHO.

Sifus> Did stainless steel piping for my gsr recently however i have changed 2 actuators so far as always overboost and performance also lagging. Foreman is advising me to upgrade to a 38mm wastegate, is that true or actuators are good enuf for this mod...Thanks
Boost spiking is due to the internal wastegate passage is too small where all the supposed to be dumped exhaust is channeled back to the turbine. This is boost spikes/creep. wastegate helps. Response wise.. Yes, it's better. Because the boost and dumping effect is reacted directly on the gate itself. Does not go through a actuation rod like actuator...

Sep 13, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi I would like to ask regarding Wastegate Preload setting.

If for example my stock ECU is tuned to run 8 PSI of boost but I need to make sure my Turbo will spool up until a maximum of 8 PSI before the Wastegate opens above 8 PSI so I need to set the Wastegate preload right?

So I can just unload the rod and run 8 PSI of compressed air into the Wastegate and tightening it will do the job?

I've seen some articles where they said you have to set 1/2 or 1/4 of your required boost levels for the wastegate preload so I just want to ask to make sure.

If I want 8 PSI of boost and instead of MBC/EBC and also my Engine & Turbo by default is made to handle 8 PSI so should I pump 8 PSI of air into the wastegate to set the preload?

More information that I can give is that it's a Mitsubishi TD04-13C and it has a CBV and the Intake is monitored by MAF.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
i thought boost creep also due to the placement lf the wastegate port on the manifold?

I am also wondering when to decide when to use 38mm vs 44mm wastegate.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2