Nissan considers joining F1 in 2008

MeraBoy

Feb 6, 2007

The allure of Formula One is simply too hard to resist for most successful car manufacturers. Latest rumours suggest that Nissan might be joining the ranks, and according to an article in French newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche, the Japanese auto maker might do a deal with former team owner Alain Prost and be trackside as early as 2008.

Four time world champion Prost, whose own team was liquidated back in 2001, has reportedly been in talks with Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn about a possible joint venture. However, the only word coming out of Nissan is that F1 is “an option,” and an investment in a worldwide competition could prove more fruitful than the regional championships that company is currently involved with.

Key staff from Nissan have attended several major F1 events this season that, according to a company representative, were there to “observe, learn and understand the discipline’s finer details”. This follows from previous reports that suggested that the successful Renault team might simply change its name to Nissan, and also news that Korea’s Hyundai might also be joining F1 in the near future. Nissan would be a very worthwhile addition to the F1 scene - the company has had a long string of successful performance cars over the years, and a Nissan F1 team would go nicely with the launch of the all new GTR, Nissan’s most formidable sports car.

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
Rumors are again mounting with suggestions that Nissan is considering entering Formula One with its own team. Rival Japanese automakers Honda and Toyota both have teams, and Korean competitor Hyundai recently announced their intentions to join in on the action as well. With the contemporary trend of automakers supporting full teams – as opposed to simply providing engines as was the practice in the past – Nissan is likely considering its own team and not just an engine contract with an existing one.

Of course Nissan's sister company Renault have a team of their own – a world champion team, actually. But while this shows the company's appreciation for F1, it's practically unheard of for an automaker to run two full competing teams. Other squads (Ferrari serving as the most prominent example) commonly supply engines to smaller teams, but Red Bull is the only company that runs two full teams.

One possible scenario would be for the Renault team to simply switch banners to Nissan. Given that the Renault F1 team has little to do with the French automaker, the move would be primarily a change of image, if CEO Carlos Ghosn sees fit.

A second possibility is being fueled by reports of Nissan talking with retired driver and former team owner Alain Prost, which would likely see Nissan buying out an existing team for the Frenchman to run.

The Nissan team is tipped to be hitting the grid as early as 2008, a full two years before Hyundai's and a mere two seasons away. If both Nissan and Renault were to both run teams, we wouldn't be surprised if Nissan served as the "farm team" for Renault, possibly using their engines re-badged as Nissans while providing them with extra testing data and some back-field support.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Japanese is not doing very well in F1, Honda Mugen era gone long time ago, Toyota,the biggest spender in F1 still haven't grab any GP champion after 5 years debut.

Renault performance is declining, they may score behind BMW this year, I don't understand why Nissan want to join F1 at this moment. (Unless Renault F1 doesn't want to share F1 knowledge with Nissan), but this is a good move, FIA trying to invite more car manufacturer to join F1 long time ago.

Last edited:

KLEMANN

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
i agree wit black samurai...last season toyota was did very well in early part of season....they score podium n qualifying well bout few time in top three...n even a pole sitter...but this years has become a backmarker along honda....however i really suprised wit super aguri team wit honda engine....a budget team wit 1 year experience in F1...tis year they scored more point than toyota n honda....qualified top 10 in few races....wat a shame on honda racing team....

seydee

Feb 2, 2006
Nissan involvement in F1 does mean good news for us as spectator and fans.

I see Nissan alliance with Renault may resulted in the best jap team. Toyota has the money and I see them progressing, of course not to mention there are one of the 2 team that stand on their own.

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
Renault owns Nissan, why bother to enter 2 teams from under same virtual roof?

to set a challenge to Red Bull perhaps?? (2 teams also, Red Bull-Ferrari and Toro Rosso)

Black Mamba

Nov 2, 2006
same parent company but still each will have their image to sell...europeans with renault and the japs on nissan....nissan's sedans and skylines are popular amongst the young but they dont really have a car to take on the higher end cars to make them serious...in europe they dont consider nissan's unless budgetry reasons....maybe through F1 they can show that Nissan is a badge to reckon with...unless they keep up the good performances of 2007 by Honda and Toyota.....2 cents

Gunner93

Known Member
Aug 26, 2005
Puchong
www.gunner93.multiply.com
In my opinion, F1 may not as easy as other races Nissan have got involved in. For one, it involves multi million dollars and sponsors. They can only attract top rated sponsors if the team is successful. Otherwise they may end up like Minardi with Magnum sponsor owning money and Alex Yoong's salary not paid as well. Normally newbees will not get it right in the first few seasons take Toyota & BMW for example - while Honda, Williams and Renault struggles among the middle runners and sometimes embarrassed by the minnows eg. Spikers and Super Aguris.

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
History have shown time and time again that having a racing pedigree in other series does not guarantee success in F1.

While Nissan makes fine cars and have a very good motorsports lineage, it is still pale in comparison to Honda and Toyota, both of whom are currently struggling in F1.

Also, as some of you said, it makes little sense for Renault to field two teams. Besides the marketing prospects of Renault fielding a second team under the 'Nissan' banner, it probably may not happen unless Nissan go out and source their own sponsors and finance themselves. I cannot see Renault diluting sponsor resources to support a second team. As it is, they are already fighting on the backfoot because the Renault is off-the pace in 2007, and logically they need to concentrate every ounce of funds to develop the 2008 car, not waste a big part of it supporting infrastructure for a second team.

drMpower

May 1, 2006
i think all those teams from Japan are being doped to join F1.

Its bernie. I somehow know its bernie that lure them to the promised land F1.

except for Ferrari and McM, how about the technology transfer from F1 to production vehicles? BMW? Toyota?

I dont quite sure about that. runnning the team along cost around 100-200million. Toyota spent about 300-400 million peryear and McM spent 400million in 2007. While the technology of F1 only visible on the SLR McLaren and some few models, Toyota has nothing to show for.

anyone know how much the teams are getting every year? sponsorships, achievements, etc etc?

maybe we can do small time math to justify involving in F1...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Whilst sending my car in for repairs earlier this week, I spotted this pristine looking NSX being serviced at a local car service center.

When the it first debuted in 1990, it amassed a lot of attention for being so far ahead of the game than it's rivals. Boasting many technological firsts and honed by the legendary Ayrton Senna, the NSX remains the one true Japanese supercar to actually...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience