I just bought a second hand Lexus IS250

CLS78

Known Member
Aug 24, 2016
Petaling Jaya
With 4 cars on your hands, you don't even have to worry when you need to send your car for repair. [emoji3]

Since your IS250 is approaching 10 years old soon, you should be more alert with things going on around the car. It is almost at the age where small problems may start to appear. But if the car is well taken care of, I think you don't have to worry about major problems. Just probably some small wear and tear problems due to age.
Are there any particular problems that i should be aware & take it serious of?......any particular tips that you can share...i'm a 'Banana' with Lexus bro....so any tips and advice...really appreciates......

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
With 4 cars on your hands, you don't even have to worry when you need to send your car for repair. :biggrin:

Since your IS250 is approaching 10 years old soon, you should be more alert with things going on around the car. It is almost at the age where small problems may start to appear. But if the car is well taken care of, I think you don't have to worry about major problems. Just probably some small wear and tear problems due to age.
Lucky is JDM, if conti after 10 years probably more wear and tear parts will be breaking down even though well taken care off.....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Are there any particular problems that i should be aware & take it serious of?......any particular tips that you can share...i'm a 'Banana' with Lexus bro....so any tips and advice...really appreciates......

I'm sorry that I din't know much info about any problems suffered by Lexus cars. Is just that I suggested extra care and attention is because your car had a lot of parts and electronic stuff. Normally, small parts like these are the parts that tends to break down first in an older car compared to any major mechanical parts.

For me, I think one of the basic things to check on for older cars would be rubber-like parts such as oil seals. With our hot Malaysian weather and the heat from the engine, rubbery parts like these are usually the ones that will get worn out. I've replaced a lot of oil seals and O-rings in my car recently. Most of them have hardened due to age as my car is 17 years old this year. But then, my car is just a Wira so, maybe it can't be compared to a Lexus.

Lucky is JDM, if conti after 10 years probably more wear and tear parts will be breaking down even though well taken care off.....
I'm wondering whether do Lexus parts costs as much as its conti rivals like Mercedes, BMW and Audi or they are more similarly priced with Toyota parts?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

No need to worry, this car is very reliable. One issue that might annoy you later is the dashboard cracking which also often happens to other imported Toyota & Lexus. So try to take good care of that dash.

CLS78

Known Member
Aug 24, 2016
Petaling Jaya
I'm sorry that I din't know much info about any problems suffered by Lexus cars. Is just that I suggested extra care and attention is because your car had a lot of parts and electronic stuff. Normally, small parts like these are the parts that tends to break down first in an older car compared to any major mechanical parts.

For me, I think one of the basic things to check on for older cars would be rubber-like parts such as oil seals. With our hot Malaysian weather and the heat from the engine, rubbery parts like these are usually the ones that will get worn out. I've replaced a lot of oil seals and O-rings in my car recently. Most of them have hardened due to age as my car is 17 years old this year. But then, my car is just a Wira so, maybe it can't be compared to a Lexus.

I'm wondering whether do Lexus parts costs as much as its conti rivals like Mercedes, BMW and Audi or they are more similarly priced with Toyota parts?
Thank you very much bro for the advice...really appreciated it...i will keep an eye on the ageing parts....thank u

CLS78

Known Member
Aug 24, 2016
Petaling Jaya

I was told that the prices for lexus parts are a little bit more expensive than their rivals like Toyota, Nissan & Honda

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Maybe same since they do try to limit parts......:smokin:
That sounds not so bad. Comfort of conti cars but parts as cheap as Toyota.

No need to worry, this car is very reliable. One issue that might annoy you later is the dashboard cracking which also often happens to other imported Toyota & Lexus. So try to take good care of that dash.
How about the ABS sensor thing that you mentioned before which happened to your friend? Do you think IS250 might have such kind of issue?

Thank you very much bro for the advice...really appreciated it...i will keep an eye on the ageing parts....thank u

You're welcome. If your car is sent for a checkup or something, do ask the mechanic to take note or examine these rubbery parts if it is possible. Just to prevent any fluid or oil leak.

I was told that the prices for lexus parts are a little bit more expensive than their rivals like Toyota, Nissan & Honda

I see. I think you should be able to maintain it considering that you can afford to own a CLS.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That sounds not so bad. Comfort of conti cars but parts as cheap as Toyota.
But I am quite surprise actually if you say comfort of conti. I have not sat in one until last week my wife ask me to change tyres for one of her company car. Is a new model ES250 about a year old and it don't ride like a conti.....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yaw sensor, might happen but that's not a frequent issue, so far only that time.
Since they are mechanically similar, the symptoms might be the same like your friend's car if it happens.

But I am quite surprise actually if you say comfort of conti. I have not sat in one until last week my wife ask me to change tyres for one of her company car. Is a new model ES250 about a year old and it don't ride like a conti.....lol
Huh? Ride quality that bad? I have never ridden one before while moving, only sat inside them while parked during roadshows. Feels very nice inside.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Did he mention anything more specific about the car? Like some cars have a common problem in certain parts and also anywhere to pay extra attention?

Woah, another car. How many cars do you have? First it was CLS350, then E coupe, IS250 and now SX4.
x2 woah...:biggrin:
careful with old sensors..nowadays car full of electronics thing...every sensor give feed back.
if one down, hopefully can start ahh...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Not to say bad, but not Conti ride.......lol
I'm not even sure how conti ride feels like. I've only sat before in 3 conti which is S300, C250 and 320i. Between C250 CGI (W204) and 320i (F30), I'll say the 320i feels better overall. But the C250 feels more powerful.

x2 woah...:biggrin:
careful with old sensors..nowadays car full of electronics thing...every sensor give feed back.
if one down, hopefully can start ahh...
Yeah. Lifespan for electronic parts is always short and they are sensitive to many things like heat, vibrations, impact and so on. Nowadays, new cars will refuse to start even if the problem is a just a minor one. Saw before near my house. A new Ford Fiesta being towed away with a flatbed truck for 2 times. Don't know what happened to it but it was bad until it can't be driven away.

CLS78

Known Member
Aug 24, 2016
Petaling Jaya
It's true what most bros here commented about the IS250 brakes....at one point my IS 250 brakes became spongy & it took time for the car to stop after i applied the brakes..Fearing that the brakes might fail all of a sudden...i sent it to get its front & rear brakes changed...I had its front brakes upgraded to F Sport Front Brake Upgrade where it features six-piston fixed calipers and drilled cast-iron rotors with a patented internal-fin design mounted on anodized aluminum hubs. Braided stainless-steel brake lines and installed a low-dust performance brake pads.

Meanwhile the Rear Brakes was upgraded to F Sport Rear Brake Upgrade where it uses four-piston fixed calipers and drilled cast-iron rotors. Braided stainless-steel brake lines and low-dust performance brake pads were also installed...Eventhough this upgrades cost me quite a fortune....but at least i feel safe when i'm speeding or apply a heavy braking....Thanks bros...

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi All Gurus,

Basically i would like to know whether the Honda City Alarm system is reliable or not. As i know it is a cobra alarm system with an immobilizer coming together stock with the car. Are these items good and reliable?

Please advise...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience