Flush radiator with coke (Paging MADMAN)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Mine quite fast, since thermostat in blocking. Once reach temperature can see the water flowing out, but since flushing with cold tap water it will shut and open a few rounds before completely flushed.....lol

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thermostat is cheap, I would suggest if u are really serious, take out the thermostat for extra flow, and run white vinegar like 1 or 2 bottles. 1 worked for me and mine was pretty bad. When its flushed, change the thermostat too if its more than 5 years already.

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
Thanks guys !
Appreciate your tips and advice.
There's a couple ways to do this. With the hood open it'll take forever to reach 80deg c, so run it until it's hot and there seems to be less bubbles popping up. Ensure your overflow tank is filled properly and your rad cap is working properly, then just cap it off and leave it. Any excess air will pop out and the overflow tank will compensate for any insufficient coolant later.

Or just run it until it's hot, close the hood, go for a short run until you hear the aircon fan turn on, drive back and check water level again AFTER it's cooled down.
Close the hood without the radiator cap and drive around until the thermostat opens ? Then drive back home and check whether there are any more bubbles coming out from the cap area, if no bubbles can just close it shut right ?

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
Thermostat is cheap, I would suggest if u are really serious, take out the thermostat for extra flow, and run white vinegar like 1 or 2 bottles. 1 worked for me and mine was pretty bad. When its flushed, change the thermostat too if its more than 5 years already.
Yeap, gonna do that man lol

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
Mine quite fast, since thermostat in blocking. Once reach temperature can see the water flowing out, but since flushing with cold tap water it will shut and open a few rounds before completely flushed.....lol
Maybe we can use boiled water from the kettle then just pour it inside the radiator to flush but then continuos supply of boiling water not possible:banghead:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Maybe we can use boiled water from the kettle then just pour it inside the radiator to flush but then continuos supply of boiling water not possible:banghead:
Possible, be prepared to boil a few kettles of water.....lol

Close the hood without the radiator cap and drive around until the thermostat opens ? Then drive back home and check whether there are any more bubbles coming out from the cap area, if no bubbles can just close it shut right ?
Without radiator cap? Water will spill out......lol

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
Possible, be prepared to boil a few kettles of water.....lol

Without radiator cap? Water will spill out......lol
ahh, i see , true hahaha, okay i get it now, shut radiator cap drive around let thermostat operate, come back and open radiator cap to let bubbles out

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ahh, i see , true hahaha, okay i get it now, shut radiator cap drive around let thermostat operate, come back and open radiator cap to let bubbles out
If you do that make sure the radiator is cool first.
I think this way better. After flush fill up with water and coolant, run engine until coolant is moving, cap up and go for a run. Make sure expansion bottle is at full mark. A few hours later, open to check coolant level, everything in order, radiator should be full and expansion tank level should be down. This is due to air bubbles coming out and the coolant being sucked back in. Just cap up and fill expansion bottle level back to max. Best to re chcek after a few days.....

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
If you do that make sure the radiator is cool first.
I think this way better. After flush fill up with water and coolant, run engine until coolant is moving, cap up and go for a run. Make sure expansion bottle is at full mark. A few hours later, open to check coolant level, everything in order, radiator should be full and expansion tank level should be down. This is due to air bubbles coming out and the coolant being sucked back in. Just cap up and fill expansion bottle level back to max. Best to re chcek after a few days.....
The air bubbles will go into the reserve tank ?

I just finished flushing the cooling system, found out my thermostat gone Dy. The thermostat doesn't open when I placed it in boiling water. Need to buy new one.

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
I just realised I asked an obvious answer. Hahaha
Okay got it bro, thanks for the tips. I'll post some pictures here later. Damn rusty weh the water that comes out cooling system

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I just realised I asked an obvious answer. Hahaha
Okay got it bro, thanks for the tips. I'll post some pictures here later. Damn rusty weh the water that comes out cooling system
Hope you flush until clear water comes out?

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
Hope you flush until clear water comes out?
Yea, the water is clear now. My thermostat kaput dy, tested it with boiling water on the stove. Hopefully can buy the thermostat tomorrow if the spare part shop opens.

Now currently running my car without thermostat and coolant just distilled water ny. Later after buying the thermostat I'll mix the proper mixture into the system.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yea, the water is clear now. My thermostat kaput dy, tested it with boiling water on the stove. Hopefully can buy the thermostat tomorrow if the spare part shop opens.

Now currently running my car without thermostat and coolant just distilled water ny. Later after buying the thermostat I'll mix the proper mixture into the system.
Got to let some amount of water out first

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just received my car last friday and noticed the 'check engine light' never lights up just before starting the engine. If i'm not mistaken, the light should be turned on automatically for a few seconds before/during starting the engine?:confused: Anybody have any experience about this? Thanks in advance.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience