Flush radiator with coke (Paging MADMAN)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Paging Madman, paging Madman, please share your DIY radiator flush with coke here. I'm curious to know the history and reason behind using coke and how well it worked!

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
coke is famous for cleaning coins and such other metal...but didnt dare to try inside radiator...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, some use to clean battery terminal and loosen rusty bolt. Probably that is why can flush radiator.....

If you use, just make sure you flush clean of all coke.....:driver:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
the coke/pepsi works best when it is ice-cold....:biggrin:

Anyway, before trying the coke, I guess one might need to consider whether the radiator flushing is to remove what deposit.....is it grime? calcium, rust?
Diff. concoction works differently on different deposit....

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
LOL... heres what me n my friend did on my EG's alu rad (half rad, not full rad)

items needed
6x bottles of Coke (5x room temp, 1x cold for drinking :D )
6x bottles of battery fluid (will have spares if you dont want to flush with battery fluid, cheaper per bottle to buy an entire carton of 6 anyway)
2x toyota red coolant.
1x funnel (mine was a big clorox bottle cut in half)
some sand...yes, sand... with small pebbels oso ok.

- remove spare reservoir tank, drain out, put the sand in, n put tap water... shake shake shake to get the gunk out of that bottle..do this multiple times while ur waiting for the warmup and drainage etc.

- remove all fluids in radiator via bottom drain cog.
- take hose and use tap water and shove it in the radiator to continue flushing it out. we also opened up the breather port as well as removed the bottom radiator hose from the block.
- fill it all up with tap water and run the car, long enough for the fan to run 3 times to ensure thermostat opens and water flows.
- remove all water. we removed cog, bottom hose from block to make sure as much water gets out.
- close everything up.
- if u see any gunk inside the radiator, its a good time to use needle nose pliers or tweezers to remove, i had a lil abit.
- fill up with coke til ful.
- run engine til fan runs 3 times, continue topping up coke until its really full.
- flush out coke.
- fill up with coke again for 2nd round of flushing. this step is up to u.. once is sometimes enough but since my radiator is friggin filthy, i wanted twice.
- do the fan 3 times thing and topup coke thing again
- drain all coke out, open up anything and everything u can open to ensure as much coke is drained.
- shove the water hose in and do the flushing with everything open to get as much coke out.
- close up everything
- flush the radiator 3 rounds with tap water to make sure the coke gets out.... making sure the fan runs 3 times for each round.
- to be extra anal, i unplugged the fan on the 3rd round (after it ran 2 times)... wanna make sure the thermostat opens a lil longer to flow out any remaining coke
- drain the rad. again, open up anything n everything u can.
- close up everything
- pour 1 bottle coolant and battery water in radiator til full
- pour coolant to half point of reservoir tank... pour battery water to slightly above max.
- run fan 3 times and topup as u go.
- close up everything...
the end

take note, that the coke part, i did it as above... but another friend of mine did it and said he left it in there for a day.

no before n after pics of the inner rad though..forgot....

history and reason? well my friend saw those videos on using coke to remove rust on various things and as above posters mentioned, its known to be able to do so... so he tried it in his car, and it was good..clean. so he suggested to me and i said OK.

result? yes, there is an improvement definitely, the alu itself is much cleaner now visually thru the rad cap hole. even doing the water bottle on radiator thing is much improved.....

some pics.

can see some gunk coming out

more debris, this is on 3rd round of flushing the coke out.

now compare the last picture, with this picture.. both basically the same process.. u tell me got improvement or not? hahahah

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I hope the car didnt become hyper-active after the sugary treatment.....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
too much sugar :rofl:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Let's talk all serious for a moment. When a dirty coin is soaked in coke, the coke after a few days will come out quite clean without agitation. Some people use coke to clean walls and with a brush and something. Essentially that tells me that coke is either really corrosive or acidic. In the radiator if there's rust then the coke will probably attack that. But what happens to aluminum and copper radiators? Are they affected by coke? Someone should experiment with that.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Why need to flush aluminum and copper radiators? They don't rust. What is being flushed should be the engine block then.....:driver:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
is that rust? or dirt?

or that coke giving false reading?
u asking about the last picture? thats BEFORE the coke.. no idea if rust or dirt

all i know is my radiator is filthy and gunky as hell... lol

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Why need to flush aluminum and copper radiators? They don't rust. What is being flushed should be the engine block then.....:driver:
I should change my kancil one to these materials type

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guy's,

currently my piston dia was 81mm and i would like to bore into 82mm piston use. i wonder how much significant different would it make in terms of performance?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience