Engine Carbon Clean -- still necessary?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Has anyone done carbon cleaning on their car engines? Does it work? I was told in today's modern car engines, carbon cleaning is not necessary.
erm..... you could drive round without carbon cleaning so it was technically never ever a necessity but yeah carbon build up was/is a thing.

from what i understand some modern cars (di) do need some sort of cleaning (cough cough* bee em dabew, tiny, the peoples car, and olympics sans one ring) after certain miles... could be my anal friends tho

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It's not needed la. Unless you were running super rich or had poor tuning done then you even less need it. You need a retune.

Drive hard and fast and it'll clear the carbon too.

Reactions: minibeany

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Depends whether you driving port fuel injected or direct fuel injected engine. Carbon build up for direct fuel injected engine will be at the intake valves, as fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, some gas blow by will cause oil gunk to slowly build up at the intake valves as we all should know, petroleum is a very good solvent and cleaner.

Unlike fuel port injected engine, the fuel is sprayed before the intake valves, hence constantly keep the back of intake valves clean. I don't see necessity for fuel port injected engine to do carbon cleaning unless you are very lazy in engine oil change and cleaning the throttle body.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
just like Mitevo7 said.. hence y some manufacturers have the cleaning recommended under the maintenance schedule. Not all though. i guess one of the way to prevent too much gunk build on these GDI engines is to have a baffled oil catch can installed. As part of my own DIY routine maintenance i do clean out the throttle from time to time. and yeah i do have a catch can installed :)

Reactions: Izso

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
toyota SC force u to buy their carbon clean even though it is a new car

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
just like Mitevo7 said.. hence y some manufacturers have the cleaning recommended under the maintenance schedule. Not all though. i guess one of the way to prevent too much gunk build on these GDI engines is to have a baffled oil catch can installed. As part of my own DIY routine maintenance i do clean out the throttle from time to time. and yeah i do have a catch can installed :)
You have direct injection engine?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
No pour in fuel tank or engine oil solution can help DI engines. Spray cleaners into intake manifold then yes it does.

But that’s a pain in the ass, especially if you hydro lock your engine.

The real long term solution is to install NOS or methanol injection. I guarantee your intake valves will be clean on your GDI engine.

Carbon clean is really bullshit. Use good engine oil. Change on time and occasionally use Caltex fuels when you’re almost empty.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
No pour in fuel tank or engine oil solution can help DI engines. Spray cleaners into intake manifold then yes it does.

But that’s a pain in the ass, especially if you hydro lock your engine.

The real long term solution is to install NOS or methanol injection. I guarantee your intake valves will be clean on your GDI engine.

Carbon clean is really bullshit. Use good engine oil. Change on time and occasionally use Caltex fuels when you’re almost empty.
For my GDI engine maintenance, every 20,000 km i will spray intake valves cleaner through the throttle and in pulsing manner. Barely noticeable difference but the engine definitely revs quieter and less consume on fuel.

Reactions: scoupe

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
For my GDI engine maintenance, every 20,000 km i will spray intake valves cleaner through the throttle and in pulsing manner. Barely noticeable difference but the engine definitely revs quieter and less consume on fuel.
Thing is, we don't know how effective is it. Walnut shell blasting confirm will clean it. But every 20k km need to do this, I feel is troublesome. Install meth or NOS hahaha. Tell finance minister is to keep it healthy, then boost

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Thing is, we don't know how effective is it. Walnut shell blasting confirm will clean it. But every 20k km need to do this, I feel is troublesome. Install meth or NOS hahaha. Tell finance minister is to keep it healthy, then boost
The effort is collective, once you started cleaning at 20k km, then you have to be goddamn consistent in doing it. Walnut blasting is expensive as hell, chemicals are cheap plus labour is free when you DIY. Plus if your factory GDI engine is not equipped with stock oil and vapour separator, then you will need to install a oil catch can to reduce carbon build ups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izso

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The effort is collective, once you started cleaning at 20k km, then you have to be goddamn consistent in doing it. Walnut blasting is expensive as hell, chemicals are cheap plus labour is free when you DIY. Plus if your factory GDI engine is not equipped with stock oil and vapour separator, then you will need to install a oil catch can to reduce carbon build ups.
I can't install shit on my car else warranty void. lol.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I can't install shit on my car else warranty void. lol.
What's your car make ? Some manufacturer installed with something called oil & vapour separator to catch those blow by oil. At least my Volvo S60 has that one in place so the carbon build up should be slowed down. Just need to regularly clean the intake valves through the vaccum hose by spraying in those little can of GDI cleaner.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello there car sifu.

please help me on deciding which one is better.

lightened Crank pulley:

Zerone vs Works vs Jasma vs aerospeed vs mythelogy

exhaust system:

i was thinking to install Dsport full exhaust system but i was just wondering,is there any other brand which is good for performance but > (low noise):biggrin:.

spark plug:
BRISK A-Line Yttrium vs Brisk Silver Racing vs Denso Iridium.

best coolant for myvi 1.3(traffic jam+aircond 24/7)

best lubrication for 5000km fast...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience