Different between VDO & MMC in wira

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Interesting. Where to try for dyno? :biggrin:

So, these iridium, platinum plugs are just plugs with longer lifespan that doesn't really affect performance at all? The last time I changed my plug for a new set, the car felt slightly more responsive and engine seems to operate smoother.
Not that it doesn't affect performance. If you compare dyno graphs, you'll see less spikes and a smoother graph. That's all. No higher torque or higher HP or whatever. Just smoother lines and possibly better combustion so cleaner combustion chambers?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Not that it doesn't affect performance. If you compare dyno graphs, you'll see less spikes and a smoother graph. That's all. No higher torque or higher HP or whatever. Just smoother lines and possibly better combustion so cleaner combustion chambers?
Actually with better combustion, should have more power....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Eh? How come Renesis shared the picture of the VDO has distributor? the distributorless u mean is running coil pack from DOHC 4g92 4g93?
VDO has a distributor but the inner structure of the distributor is different from a conventional old distributor. I believe the distributor for VDO is a fully electronic unit unlike MMC where it is mechanically based.

So overall, a smoother engine operation across the RPM range then?

Actually with better combustion, should have more power....:driver:
Maybe true if the original plugs are already firing weaker than specs.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Maybe true if the original plugs are already firing weaker than specs.
That is why plug manufacturer tries to out do each other, saying their plugs are designed to burn better, for eg. shifting or making the spark more direct to light the air fuel mixture.

Like splitfire plugs, splitting the ground electrode so the spark not blocked.

NGK V groove on center electrode shifting the spark to the edge, again so that spark is not blocked.

Since V groove have been patented by NGK, Denso did a U groove on the ground electrode, shifting the spark to the edge also, and this have been patented by them.

Then you have Bosch tapered cut ground electrode and center electrode also....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
That is why plug manufacturer tries to out do each other, saying their plugs are designed to burn better, for eg. shifting or making the spark more direct to light the air fuel mixture.

Like splitfire plugs, splitting the ground electrode so the spark not blocked.

NGK V groove on center electrode shifting the spark to the edge, again so that spark is not blocked.

Since V groove have been patented by NGK, Denso did a U groove on the ground electrode, shifting the spark to the edge also, and this have been patented by them.

Then you have Bosch tapered cut ground electrode and center electrode also....:driver:
So, what kind of plugs do you recommend? My mechanic always recommend NGK.

Speaking of cable, I went to exhaust shop recently and the boss try to sell me on some spark cable. He had a demo sample there showing a black cable and the one that he is promoting. The black cable shows a weaker spark while the other shows a stronger spark. But I personally think that the black cable is probably faulty, hence the spark is weaker. :rofl:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So, what kind of plugs do you recommend? My mechanic always recommend NGK.

Speaking of cable, I went to exhaust shop recently and the boss try to sell me on some spark cable. He had a demo sample there showing a black cable and the one that he is promoting. The black cable shows a weaker spark while the other shows a stronger spark. But I personally think that the black cable is probably faulty, hence the spark is weaker. :rofl:
Well, some will give stronger sparks, but what power gain and at what cost?

For plugs, just get the correct heat range and if want something to last, just go for platinum ones. Iridium are just too costly....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Well, some will give stronger sparks, but what power gain and at what cost?

For plugs, just get the correct heat range and if want something to last, just go for platinum ones. Iridium are just too costly....:driver:
At what cost? You mean there will be some kind of negative side effects?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
At what cost? You mean there will be some kind of negative side effects?
As in the price for the set of plug wire. If it cost a few hundred RM just for a smoother firing, do you think is worth it, as many test have not found it to gain any HP......lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Better just buy back stock cable. :biggrin:
sometimes when we got extra cash we gatal want to buy the plug cable.

My dad LO47 Pajero was on AC Delco performance cable abd platinum plugs.a lot smoother engine operation. Now on platinum plug with standard cable as the AC Delco is sensitive to internal breakage due to rough handling.

The cable was transferred to 1.5 wira and later to 1.3 wira running std plugs.can feel easier start up and smoother operation. I think its sold together with the wira...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
In fact stock cable can last the longest.......:driver::biggrin:
In some cases, stock can be the best.

sometimes when we got extra cash we gatal want to buy the plug cable.

My dad LO47 Pajero was on AC Delco performance cable abd platinum plugs.a lot smoother engine operation. Now on platinum plug with standard cable as the AC Delco is sensitive to internal breakage due to rough handling.

The cable was transferred to 1.5 wira and later to 1.3 wira running std plugs.can feel easier start up and smoother operation. I think its sold together with the wira...
So in your opinion, is it worth to pay for the extra premium to get those performance cables?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

here's the deal, i'm trickin' out my uncle's old skool beetle and i wanna get it lowered. are there any adjustables or lowering springs available for an old car like this in kch? thanx in advance...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience