Bent pinch welds

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
Hi, good day. I just found that the pinch weld of my car is crushed kinda bad. I have no idea how did this happen, just noticed. What is the role of pinch welds? Do they add to chassis rigidity or just cosmetic damage? Is this something that can be fixed? Hope someone can shed a light on this. I've added some pictures below. Thanks.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Looks ok to me.
I think that happened when some notbso smart guy decided to place the jack at area they are not supposed to.

Will require a lot of beating with hammer to get it straight again.

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
Looks ok to me.
I think that happened when some notbso smart guy decided to place the jack at area they are not supposed to.

Will require a lot of beating with hammer to get it straight again.
Yeah, i got no idea how did that happen. Just wanna clarify, i thought u can jack cars using the pinch welds right, no?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Yeah, i got no idea how did that happen. Just wanna clarify, i thought u can jack cars using the pinch welds right, no?
you can, its one of the jacking points

i guess theres no real point saying this now, but the jack stand in your picture? its not designed to be put by the pinch weld....
jackstands (and jacks) which are designed for pinch welds have a 'slot' in them.... the one you have seems to be the kind put under the arms, axles but not really for pinchwelds.

Reactions: STR

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Yes and no.
All car have specific point at the pinch weld where u can jack and almost all cars are equipped with jack which have slot on the surface meeting the pinch weld like bro lsm 1991 said.
Look closely at the spot u will notice there will be solid surface behind the pinch weld.

In your case i believe it is caused by using the hydraulic jack which have the steel cup instead of a slotted top. To prevent damaged when using hydraulic jack some used thick rubber pad or a few piece of tire cut to fit the steel cup. I believe most car hoist have this to prevent damage, you can check those hoist to get better picture.

On one of my car, the same damage can be found on the area at the front ( behind the front tires ) when i used hydraulic jack without using any additional material to prevent the damage. Funny as i did the same to the rear but no damage.

Be very careful when jacking your car be it with the ori spare tire jack or hydraulic jack. Only jack at dedicated spot or spot which can take the load. How to know?
Most of the time its logic. Also, the ground where u place your jack must be solid. I know a guy whom severed few fingers when the newly paved road sinks while the car is on hydraulic jack causing the front brake disc to scrape of meat of his fingers and permanently damaged a few.

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
you can, its one of the jacking points

i guess theres no real point saying this now, but the jack stand in your picture? its not designed to be put by the pinch weld....
jackstands (and jacks) which are designed for pinch welds have a 'slot' in them.... the one you have seems to be the kind put under the arms, axles but not really for pinchwelds.
Oh okay, i didnt know that, but i dont place my jack stands there cause the pinch well is already bad. Anyway, thanks mate.

STR

Known Member
Sep 27, 2015
Penang
Yes and no.
All car have specific point at the pinch weld where u can jack and almost all cars are equipped with jack which have slot on the surface meeting the pinch weld like bro lsm 1991 said.
Look closely at the spot u will notice there will be solid surface behind the pinch weld.

In your case i believe it is caused by using the hydraulic jack which have the steel cup instead of a slotted top. To prevent damaged when using hydraulic jack some used thick rubber pad or a few piece of tire cut to fit the steel cup. I believe most car hoist have this to prevent damage, you can check those hoist to get better picture.

On one of my car, the same damage can be found on the area at the front ( behind the front tires ) when i used hydraulic jack without using any additional material to prevent the damage. Funny as i did the same to the rear but no damage.

Be very careful when jacking your car be it with the ori spare tire jack or hydraulic jack. Only jack at dedicated spot or spot which can take the load. How to know?
Most of the time its logic. Also, the ground where u place your jack must be solid. I know a guy whom severed few fingers when the newly paved road sinks while the car is on hydraulic jack causing the front brake disc to scrape of meat of his fingers and permanently damaged a few.
Oh okay, i get what u tryna mean. Mine came with the rubber pad on top. Guess the previous mechanic messed up using the non rubber jacks. Yeah, i jack my car using the front portion of the crossmember. Damn, thats scary. Anyway, does damaged pinch weld cause any sort of issues to chassis rigidity or just cosmetic damage? Thanks man

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Oh okay, i didnt know that, but i dont place my jack stands there cause the pinch well is already bad. Anyway, thanks mate.
i've done the damage myself too. Kinda too late when realise pinch weld bent when slowly drop on naked jack stand.
Some youtube guide to repair "pinch weld" but need some extra muscle.

Reactions: STR

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Oh okay, i get what u tryna mean. Mine came with the rubber pad on top. Guess the previous mechanic messed up using the non rubber jacks. Yeah, i jack my car using the front portion of the crossmember. Damn, thats scary. Anyway, does damaged pinch weld cause any sort of issues to chassis rigidity or just cosmetic damage? Thanks man
Only cosmetic damage and possbily damage to your pocket as its a very good reason to install a side skirt.

Once u install the side skirt, u will notice the car looks weird without front and rear bumper lips so on with bumper lips/skirt. U see wherere this is heading...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi sifus i need some opinion,

whenever im driving through a corner(not those tight corner, maybe like 120 degree bengkok abit d road) at 100kmh, my front wheels will straighten back on its own whist im trying to steer left, meaning my wheels will straighten whilst steering is senget to d left.

im kinda concerned coz its so darn dangerous especially driving on highway when normal speed is 100kmh+ and d road is not 180 degree straight...

**FYI, i just had my power steering rack...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience