6th gear grinding (Subaru Impreza Ver 8)

Jul 3, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Good day ZTH! I'm Musa. Currently owning a version 8 STI 03/07 with mileage of 157xxx km.

I have a problem regarding with the 6th gear grinding whenever the speed is beyond 110km/h. at lower speed, to shift to 6th gear with no problem/no grinding. I've tried to shift from 5th at the speed of 160 to 6th gear, and the 'grind' thingy occurred. the previous owner said that he had already checked with his pomen, maybe from the synchro, but the pomen said that it's not from the synchro, it's still in good condition. He said maybe can try to blip the throttle for rev match while shifting to 6th speed, but still, the problem occurred. Gear oil had changed last year somewhere in October, but no exact km been recorded.

So anyone here has faced this problem? Kindly share with your experience :) Really appreciate it. Thank you guys.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
it was syncro not in perfect condition...

u can use redline shockproof heavyweight gearbox oil...the oil is like greenish/bluish lotion....i can almost guarantee it will solve the problem...

but if one day even with redline shockproof heavyweight oil doesnt help anymore...u can kiss goodby the gearbox and replace it...

or much better..rebuild the fearbox using aftermarket internal from many gearbox manufacturer like ppg,kapp or any other available...

Jun 27, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Good day ZTH! I'm Musa. Currently owning a version 8 STI 03/07 with mileage of 157xxx km.

I have a problem regarding with the 6th gear grinding whenever the speed is beyond 110km/h. at lower speed, to shift to 6th gear with no problem/no grinding. I've tried to shift from 5th at the speed of 160 to 6th gear, and the 'grind' thingy occurred. the previous owner said that he had already checked with his pomen, maybe from the synchro, but the pomen said that it's not from the synchro, it's still in good condition. He said maybe can try to blip the throttle for rev match while shifting to 6th speed, but still, the problem occurred. Gear oil had changed last year somewhere in October, but no exact km been recorded.

So anyone here has faced this problem? Kindly share with your experience :) Really appreciate it. Thank you guys.
Dear Sir,

I believe that it's your sixth gear synchronizer has worn out. If you were to dismantle it you will notice that the synchronizer ring has no gap, this means that it has worn out. A new/good synchonizer ring is tapered inside and sits on a cone and has a gap in between. What the synchronizer does is that it mesh the gears which is spinning at different speed together. When it's worn out it has difficulties in meshing and the end result is a grinding noise. It seems that your "pomen" doesn't know how transmission works.

Sincerely yours,

Subaru Tech.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Eibach sucks

Eibach pro kit for putra.
Front - 2 fingers.
Rear - 5 fingers.

Just after a week, the front started to give "ekkkk ekkkkkk" sound on the driver side whenever i pass through road bumps or uneven road. And what's more? The ABS light also blinks occasionally (wheel touching the ABS wire until it hurts). I went to tyre shop and asked them to put rubber. But the annoying sound is still there. Dunno whether the Monroe absorber already kong or not. But there's no sign of any...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience