Lancer 4B11 Bolt On Turbo Journey with AR60 Custom Turbo

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

After MIA for some period of time, besides busy doing my side business and my main job, i am too busy with maintaining and modifying 2 cars. Here is some sharing of my journey and things that i want to " WARN" most people who wants to bolt on turbo their cars. It's not easy but i will pull it through eventually. Here we go with the parts that i'd gathered for my Mitsubishi Lancer GT 2008, converted to manual.

Part 1: Lancer Evo X intake manifold, Throttle Body and Fuel Injectors. This is a must as the stock plastic 4B11 intake manifold will crack over time when running with boost.

BZQZ3804.JPG
CAGN3174.JPG

Part 2: Intercooler Piping - I want to save some time and customize cost on these pipings, so i bought a ready made 2.5" HICP, i still need to customize the air filter piping and LICP to join up the intercooler and throttle body. I did not manage to take a shot on the intercooler but its EVO X size with 2.5" inlet (Stock Evo X is slightly bigger like 2.85")

FUFY0801.JPG
DKQV8436.JPG

Part 3 will be coming up on the Evo X ECU, Evo X Fuel Pump. These are the essentials for the basic bolt on parts. Turbo manifold and AR60 turbo will be showed later.

Last edited:
Reactions: lsm1991

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Dear All,

After MIA for some period of time, besides busy doing my side business and almost my main job, i am too busy with maintaining and modifying 2 cars. Here is some sharing of my journey and things that i want to " WARN" most people who wants to bolt on turbo their cars. It's not easy but i will pull it through eventually. Here we go with the parts that i'd gathered for my Mitsubishi Lancer GT 2008, converted to manual.

Part 1: Lancer Evo X intake manifold, Throttle Body and Fuel Injectors. This is a must as the stock plastic 4B11 intake manifold will crack over time when running with boost.

View attachment 581166 View attachment 581167

Part 2: Intercooler Piping - I want to save some time and customize cost on these pipings, so i bought a ready made 2.5" HICP, i still need to customize the air filter piping and LICP to join up the intercooler and throttle body. I did not manage to take a shot on the intercooler but its EVO X size with 2.5" inlet (Stock Evo X is slightly bigger like 2.85")

View attachment 581169 View attachment 581168

Part 3 will be coming up on the Evo X ECU, Evo X Fuel Pump. These are the essentials for the basic bolt on parts. Turbo manifold and AR60 turbo will be showed later.
Why not just get the stock Evo X intercooler kit?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
actually should not be such a big dif, ic size has a much smaller effect on lag than one might imagine, unless its some obscenely massive item

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Dear All,

After MIA for some period of time, besides busy doing my side business and almost my main job, i am too busy with maintaining and modifying 2 cars. Here is some sharing of my journey and things that i want to " WARN" most people who wants to bolt on turbo their cars. It's not easy but i will pull it through eventually. Here we go with the parts that i'd gathered for my Mitsubishi Lancer GT 2008, converted to manual.

View attachment 581166 View attachment 581167

View attachment 581169 View attachment 581168

You're back!

Reactions: Mitevo7

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Part 2.1 ECU < The most important part for any EFI engines. PERIOD !

Evo X or Lancer Ralliart ECU. Forget about piggyback ECU, they won't stop giving you the dread CEL eventhough your car has no issue at all. The Lancer's cluster CAN just dislike any piggyback system that does not speak ETACS to it, so it will constantly giving you the CEL and sometimes messes up the engine's idling. Part number as per attached picture, my particular model is from Lancer Ralliart, 1860B106 is the part number. To use this ECU, you need to get OEM 3 Bar MAP Sensor (hassle free) and IAT Sensor. Both of these sensors are used on the intake manifold. There are 3 wires required to tap into the original stock ECU harness.

1.) IAT Sensor 2 - Ground
2.) IAT Sensor 2 - Main signal
3.) Electronic Boost Control Solenoid - I use MAC as its widely available and proven to work.

P/S: Admin, its kinda hard to add photos into the post. All my files are 400kb only. Can you guys check it out ?

1634125915673.png

IMG_1548.JPG

MAP Sensor: IAT Sensor:

Last edited:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

By the time i am writing these posts, my Lancer has already done with all the bolting on and officially on the road testing ! Engine idles like a champ without any stupid CEL. My custom turbo is making boost somewhere around 2.5k and reached about full boost at 0.5 bar with 50% throttle. At this moment i uploaded a very conservative MAP to the ECU to test run it first. It has been 2 days since we test running it and we see no oil leaks, fuel leaks, or weird noises coming from the car. Tomorrow we will be putting on the bumper and take it to a car wash and test run it for few more days before go for actual dyno !

Attached link of a video i shot of the engine starting and idling, enjoy:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Part 2.2 Fuel System < Evo X or Lancer Ralliart

It's not necessary to change the fuel pump on the Lancer, however NA Lancer's fuel system is non return which in our case, we need to have fuel return back to the fuel pump for turbo purpose.

As for fuel rail and fuel injectors, we use Evo X fuel rail and fuel injectors because it came in a set with the Evo X intake manifold. We also replaced the fuel regulator with an aftermarket one (WORKS) to pair up with the fuel return hoses. You are advised not to use NA Lancer's intake manifold, fuel rail and injectors because they are not designed for turbo at all. The NA Lancer's intake manifold will crack under pressure and injectors are not able to supply adequate fuel to keep the cylinder cool.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Part 3 Turbocharger < Custom Garrett T28 charger with AR60 housing

3.1 Exhaust Manifold
I am surprised to able to find a ready made cast iron intake manifold with T3 flange. Many have commented i should have get the RA or Evo X turbo kit for ease of mind. Honestly i don't like the idea of having the same kit as many other BOT Lancers. I am keen to explore into unknown, that makes modifying fun and exciting. For this particular intake manifold, its locally made and seemed to be an identical copy of 4B10 Turbo Manifold from Kinugawa USA, see below:

1634128485341.png

Picture of the turbo manifold installed with T3 Turbo (in this case, a T28 ball bearing turbo from ER34 before it blew up in my face)

After some tragic incident, the turbo was sent for rebuilding and converted to journal bearing turbo by using the original housing. According to the turbo builder, the turbo is capable of generating boost as low as 2.5K RPM and peak boost at 4K rpm depending on tuning. The turbo's internal is completely changed and configured for 2.0 engine for fast response and peak power. More photos for viewing pleasure.

Last edited:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Part (whatever - i messed up the sequence) - Oil Cooler

Oil cooler is a must for bolt on turbo Lancers as engine oil runs hotter than when it's still NA. In this case i managed to salvage a used Mazda RX8 engine oil cooler which is slightly larger in size compared to other aftermarket units. Other than it being cheap, another reason is i try to get as many OEM parts as possible. We ran a 10 mm AN fitting steel braided hoses for the oil pathways. For this particular Mazda RX8 oil cooler, it came fitted with thermostat and that keeps the engine oil temp constant at 89 celsius. Didn't manage to snap a photo of my oil temp gauge. Will do it next time.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Oil Feed and Oil pan tapping for oil return

Oil feed is pretty easy as there are ready oil feed ports on the 4B11 block, for my case, the oil feed is tapped from the upperpart of the block, just right below the head and feed off through a 10mm direct hose. Picture below shows the oil drain port on the turbo. The oil drain, in common sense must always face down. Avoid mounting the turbo 15 degrees elevated to the RIGHT, because that will slow the flow of the oil drain and also backing up the oil into the cartridge and oil will blow past the seal.

Now here is a complicated part, to prevent oil from backing up into the turbo and causing the oil from blowing past the seal, we need to ensure the oil drain hose pathway is as smooth as possible. Sizes of the oil drain hoses preferably to be larger than 10mm, in my case, mine is 12mm inlet all the way from oil feed to oil pan. Pictures for your references:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oil Feed and Oil pan tapping for oil return

Oil feed is pretty easy as there are ready oil feed ports on the 4B11 block, for my case, the oil feed is tapped from the upperpart of the block, just right below the head and feed off through a 10mm direct hose. Picture below shows the oil drain port on the turbo. The oil drain, in common sense must always face down. Avoid mounting the turbo 15 degrees elevated to the RIGHT, because that will slow the flow of the oil drain and also backing up the oil into the cartridge and oil will blow past the seal.

Now here is a complicated part, to prevent oil from backing up into the turbo and causing the oil from blowing past the seal, we need to ensure the oil drain hose pathway is as smooth as possible. Sizes of the oil drain hoses preferably to be larger than 10mm, in my case, mine is 12mm inlet all the way from oil feed to oil pan. Pictures for your references:

wait. how are you managing the ecu? Just reflash? Is this a evo X ECU?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
wait. how are you managing the ecu? Just reflash? Is this a evo X ECU?
Hi, its Lancer Ralliart ECU, same as EVO X. We need flash the ECU and replace the VIN number to get the engine start

Reactions: Izso

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all

My friend using a gen-2, now he wanna have some modification (remained as AT), since gen2 is kinda new in mod market, so i really need the help from all experienced personnel here. He got 2 options to go:

1. Use the original engine, reset of ori computer, port & polished, lightened piston, conrod and crank shaft balancing, this mod ll carry out by CM racing JB, according to the mech, they ll use the existing parts and do some modification to make it lighter and stronger...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience