Driveshaft rebuild shop

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Oh..never now that. Do you know how does the rubber boot for the inner joint is secured? normally it uses a metal clip.mine is somewhat secure inside.
Your's probably crimped on the inside. Shouldnt matter much if crimped outside or inside, so long as it's the correct length and it fits.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Guess what, 2 days ago i got kluk2 noise from my drivetrain and after checking at a shop they said its the driveshaft (driver side). Its very noticeable.
On my way home i notice the knocking is stronger when i accelerate but will disappear if i turn the steering at certain angle or at very low speed.

Last night i remove the shaft and discover that the inner boot is torn. Other than that i cannot feel any excessive play. Since the rubber boot is torn and i assume dirt got into it and damaged the joints i went and get a new one today.

After installing i went for a test drive and the problem is still there. Its will disappear at certain steering angle and at low speed.Sometimes when not under load (acceleration) it does not knock. The shock it produce is like when we run over the metal reflective thing on the road but sharper knock. BTW i havent done the allignment.

When comparing the new shaft and the old one i notice the new one is slightly longer. Then again, the inner joint can slide in and out right?

I am starting to think its the gearbox but if it is then the problem should not disappear at low speed or certain steering angle as the gearbox still spins regardless.

What do u guys think?
New part does not fit properly?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yours seems to be a different problem. Usually the outer joint makes noise and it starts with full turn (initial) and gradually gets laouder with slight turn (as it gets more worn). Yours only at certain angle and not always....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Guess what, 2 days ago i got kluk2 noise from my drivetrain and after checking at a shop they said its the driveshaft (driver side). Its very noticeable.
On my way home i notice the knocking is stronger when i accelerate but will disappear if i turn the steering at certain angle or at very low speed.

Last night i remove the shaft and discover that the inner boot is torn. Other than that i cannot feel any excessive play. Since the rubber boot is torn and i assume dirt got into it and damaged the joints i went and get a new one today.

After installing i went for a test drive and the problem is still there. Its will disappear at certain steering angle and at low speed.Sometimes when not under load (acceleration) it does not knock. The shock it produce is like when we run over the metal reflective thing on the road but sharper knock. BTW i havent done the allignment.

When comparing the new shaft and the old one i notice the new one is slightly longer. Then again, the inner joint can slide in and out right?

I am starting to think its the gearbox but if it is then the problem should not disappear at low speed or certain steering angle as the gearbox still spins regardless.

What do u guys think?
New part does not fit properly?
This is pretty basic which I'm sure you've already checked - but have you replaced the ball joints and bushes on the arms and all?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
This is pretty basic which I'm sure you've already checked - but have you replaced the ball joints and bushes on the arms and all?
Yup, i have checked all the bushes and joints;
1.Lower arm is about 1 year plus and so far no play or worn ball joints.
2.Tie rod are old but no excessive play.

Last night right before i fell asleep feeling mad as the problem is not resolved, i got an idea on what might be the issue. I have bought the part today and will replace it tomorrow morning. Will share the outcome tomorrow evening if i manage to complete the job in the morning. Its funny + stupid (mistake from my side) at the same time.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yup, i have checked all the bushes and joints;
1.Lower arm is about 1 year plus and so far no play or worn ball joints.
2.Tie rod are old but no excessive play.

Last night right before i fell asleep feeling mad as the problem is not resolved, i got an idea on what might be the issue. I have bought the part today and will replace it tomorrow morning. Will share the outcome tomorrow evening if i manage to complete the job in the morning. Its funny + stupid (mistake from my side) at the same time.
I wish I dreamed about cars and parts and all... I keep dreaming of stupid dumb things like shopping centers and getting lost in thailand malls.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I wish I dreamed about cars and parts and all... I keep dreaming of stupid dumb things like shopping centers and getting lost in thailand malls.
Hahah..
Guess what is the actual problem on my car?
It was actually the left (shorter) driveshaft that needed to be replaced. I only recalled it as i was abt to sleep last night.
I replaced it today and vibration is gone.
I dont even know what make me remember that it what the right driveshaft.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hahah..
Guess what is the actual problem on my car?
It was actually the left (shorter) driveshaft that needed to be replaced. I only recalled it as i was abt to sleep last night.
I replaced it today and vibration is gone.
I dont even know what make me remember that it what the right driveshaft.
You funny :rofl:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
You funny :rofl:
Shhhh...dont laugh so loud. So far this matter is not known to my brother. He will use this as a punch line against me whenever he got the chance as i have been poking him with jokes on how long he took to fix his w124 rear brakes and his iriz front brakes when both job combined should take less than 1.5hrs to complete.

Now i got 2 unit of RH driveshaft.1 is the one replaced yesterday which is still in good working order and another os the unit mentioned when this thread started. I might just tear the rubber boot on the good unit on purpose just so i can experiment on how to diy replace the rubber boot. MCO/lockdown/PPN makes us doo lots of u expected things.

• Haha
Reactions: Izso

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My friend car have been stolen at a workshopl @ kamunting....

No. Plate : PAX 4958

Owner Name : Adib

No H/P : 0173000953

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience