1JZGTE VVTI Dyno Results with Edamage

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Oil just changed last 6000 km's ago with fresh filter. Using Addinol ATF cause that's the brand that my buddy mechanic is carrying. It drives OK before remapped, WOT before that won't slip or anything. Probably the ATF is too thin or anything ... might try to use original Toyota ATF meant for A340e and try it again.
Even if a change in oil fixes, bear in mind it's only temporary. Slipping only means the current GB has gone beyond it's limit. Could be due to age/wear.

Dont WOT anymore. Slipping is a sign of an impending bad event.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oil just changed last 6000 km's ago with fresh filter. Using Addinol ATF cause that's the brand that my buddy mechanic is carrying. It drives OK before remapped, WOT before that won't slip or anything. Probably the ATF is too thin or anything ... might try to use original Toyota ATF meant for A340e and try it again.
Assuming your 1jz came from the soarer and not the old supra (which is the same anyway), it should be on a Dexron III/IV oil.

And like what Parakeet said - if it's slipping already - it's dying soon. Don't WOT anymore.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Even if a change in oil fixes, bear in mind it's only temporary. Slipping only means the current GB has gone beyond it's limit. Could be due to age/wear.

Dont WOT anymore. Slipping is a sign of an impending bad event.
To be exact i am not even sure is the gearbox even slipping, considering when i go WOT in 2nd gear onwards, the car just launch forward like mad. I am kind suspecting fuel cut or boost cut. The gearbox is kinda low mileage too, a little over 100k km's when i first got it.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Assuming your 1jz came from the soarer and not the old supra (which is the same anyway), it should be on a Dexron III/IV oil.

And like what Parakeet said - if it's slipping already - it's dying soon. Don't WOT anymore.
It came out from Crown Athlete 2002, the last generation of 1JZ. Let me seek more opinions, my gut feelings telling me it should be something else.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
To be exact i am not even sure is the gearbox even slipping, considering when i go WOT in 2nd gear onwards, the car just launch forward like mad. I am kind suspecting fuel cut or boost cut. The gearbox is kinda low mileage too, a little over 100k km's when i first got it.
dude.. this is a different thing man. Fuel cut and boost cut feels very different.

Try taking a video and let us see

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I will try, whatever it is, something is definitely compromising the performance. I will try take a video of me WOT at the 1st gear

Lan Dugong

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Telok Panglima Garang, Selangor
Hi Folks,

After 2 years of running my E46ci with unoptimized 1JZGTE VVTI, i picked up an Edamage Blue which i had for several years to hook it up. As expected, used ECU always had problems, my ignition harness is not readable but the rest of it works fine. Initial runs started with 235 whp/ 315nm wtq at 5.2k RPM. A few more runs and we achieved 251 whp / 320 nm wtq at 5.1k RPM. I am not sure whether this is a healthy result of 1JZGTE VVTI, considering factory declared crank HP is at 276hp which i knew its underrated. Everything is stock except for intercooler pipes, air filter pipe, downpipe and exhaust.

It does drive much better and responsive than before, turbo spool much better and does not consume so much fuel i think. Still experimenting.

Next i will need to fix up the ignition timing on the ECU, get aftermarket FPR, boost controller, and increase the turbo to 1 bar. We should be seeing at 270 whp after that.

Cheers,
Ken

View attachment 579468
Hi...that's a nice whp figures you got there with the auto tranny. Myself bought a converted e46 with 1jz jzs171 auto back in March 2021. All standard, boost meter also dont have hihihi...currently having fun driving it...not really into modding it now.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hi...that's a nice whp figures you got there with the auto tranny. Myself bought a converted e46 with 1jz jzs171 auto back in March 2021. All standard, boost meter also dont have hihihi...currently having fun driving it...not really into modding it now.
Hi, i have the same Jzs171 engine in my E46ci, still running strong till today. Boost meter also don't have as i am not running high boost in this car, just comfort and sporty driving occassionally.

Lan Dugong

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Hi, i have the same Jzs171 engine in my E46ci, still running strong till today. Boost meter also don't have as i am not running high boost in this car, just comfort and sporty driving occassionally.
My car has a 4-speed gearbox with a manual mode. Dropping from 3rd to 2nd, its like the gearbox is missing 1 gear .
This is my 2nd e46. My 1st e46 was a pre-facelift with the m54b22 engine. Had it with me for 6 years.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
My car has a 4-speed gearbox with a manual mode. Dropping from 3rd to 2nd, its like the gearbox is missing 1 gear .
This is my 2nd e46. My 1st e46 was a pre-facelift with the m54b22 engine. Had it with me for 6 years.
What do you mean missing by 1 gear ? Compare to your pre-fl M54B22 with ZF5HP, obviously it has 5 gears compare to 1JZ A340E. My gearbox shift smoothly without issue for years. I even modified the gearbox fluid sump with a bleed out hole for servicing later on. Suggest you do the same if you don't intend to convert to manual.

Last edited:

Lan Dugong

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
What do you mean missing by 1 gear ? Compare to your pre-fl M54B22 with ZF5HP, obviously it has 5 gears compare to 1JZ A340E. My gearbox shift smoothly without issue for years. I even modified the gearbox fluid sump with a bleed out hole for servicing later on. Suggest you do the same if you don't intend to convert to manual.
Hihihi...mine shifts smoothly too. I wish that the gearbox is a 5-speed gearbox like the zf5hp.
A bleed out hole at the fluid sump? U mean the fluid drain hole? My gearbox sump has the drain hole.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hihihi...mine shifts smoothly too. I wish that the gearbox is a 5-speed gearbox like the zf5hp.
A bleed out hole at the fluid sump? U mean the fluid drain hole? My gearbox sump has the drain hole.
I am not sure how to explain, let's just said that the modification made changing the gearbox fluid 10x faster like changing engine oil.