Review: BMW 218i Gran Coupe M Sport + M Performance parts

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
318i is 3 cylinders. Joke. The B48 4 cylinder engine is rough, idles like crap, but is powerful lol. still a god awful unrefined engine.

That being said the first F30 I drove was a 316i. The only saving grace is the transmission and chassis dynamic. If anything, that transmission really compensate for the lack of power on the 316i engine, even when going up Genting. It still lack power, but it's not that apparent thanks to the gearing.

This Fake M W? No legendary 6 cylinder engine, no legendary rear wheel drive, no amazing 8 speed ZF transmission. Other than the badge, what's BMW about it? lol.
depends which gen B48, G20 new 3 feels good, they even put it on the G12 740Le which was indescribably sweet.
it's like Moore's law, the cars just get better with evolution,

if you like driving the F30 316i then you'll grow to adore the 218i.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The 4 cylinder B48 idles rough ? Thats new for me, i didn't feel though when i last drove one.

The 8 speed ZF is really something, i wish they mate this trans with any BMW 6cyl engine and can rev high. Say N52 with 8 speed ZF ? That's a dream match !
Yes it idles rough. You don't feel it in the drivers seat. Open the window, or stand next to the engine bay.

depends which gen B48, G20 new 3 feels good, they even put it on the G12 740Le which was indescribably sweet.
it's like Moore's law, the cars just get better with evolution,

if you like driving the F30 316i then you'll grow to adore the 218i.
Only have experience with my own B48 inside the F30.

I have to admit, given the advancement in technology, FWD can perform on par if not better than its RWD and AWD siblings at the ring. Not surprising if BMW can tweak and do electronic wizardry on a FWD platform to perform just as well as a RWD.

but I still won’t buy one.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yes it idles rough. You don't feel it in the drivers seat. Open the window, or stand next to the engine bay.
Oh now you mention it, from outside the F30 with B48 does seem to idle a little loud, even my Ford 1.6 Ecoboost idles quieter.