Shell Malaysia introduces Helix Power & Helix Protect

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Still more than double price? Supermarkets are middle men themselves so by right they should have some margin already yet they can sell at such low promotion price.
no man. They go direct to the source for stock and sell to you with only 1 middle man - themselves.

In M'sia we have distributors who sell to dealers who sell to stations, workshops and sometimes they use salesmen to market their products, that's already 3 to 4 middle men.

And whilst we produce the engine oils - the dealers do not have the scale that Tesco global does. Tesco / Giant doesn't just take from the distributor in their respective countries, they take from one source and distribute using their own network. So again yes - economies of scale.

Leinnz brought up a good point too - middle men. Then there's taxes.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro, this is Shell MY or Petronas that we are talking about for example. You're saying they don't have volume for economies of scale for MY market? Some more Shell claims they make their own special blend for MY, how come can do that but don't have economies of scale and have to charge sky high prices??
If only for MY market is very very small......lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If only for MY market is very very small......lol
Bro, aren't Giant also serving the same market? To me still nobody able to convince me why Shell MY and other brands charge so much higher retail price than what supermarkets can offer.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro, aren't Giant also serving the same market? To me still nobody able to convince me why Shell MY and other brands charge so much higher retail price than what supermarkets can offer.
I mean whole MY market as a whole is very small, if something specially created for. Even my ex company production, only about 10% is for local market, rest all exported.
Charge higher should be Profit loh......lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I mean whole MY market as a whole is very small, if something specially created for. Even my ex company production, only about 10% is for local market, rest all exported.
Charge higher should be Profit loh......lol
Then the question is why make something special for MY market? Isn't the original oil good enough?? Other oils can just sell the same for MY as in other markets. Again even if blend some special, does it warrant more than double the price? Not convinced at all.

Anyway still it's the same market so everyone is playing on the same playing field, so the prices should be close enough.

Reactions: alcyon

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
Then the question is why make something special for MY market? Isn't the original oil good enough?? Other oils can just sell the same for MY as in other markets. Again even if blend some special, does it warrant more than double the price? Not convinced at all.

Anyway still it's the same market so everyone is playing on the same playing field, so the prices should be close enough.
because want to control the market. just like paid tv and ahem fibre network. who is in control.

edited. Maybe this topic going way out now

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
because want to control the market. just like paid tv and ahem fibre network. who is in control.

edited. Maybe this topic going way out now
You can't control an open market. If you want - you can contact Mayalabs to get you fully imported Shell oils too and their prices aren't that much cheaper than M'sian Shell oils.

Sigh.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

As mentioned earlier, probably Helix Ultra lost ground cannot sell, so try another blend.......lol

Reactions: Izso

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

any zth member can recommend any Workshop can tune camshaft with adj cam pulley ?
price ?
tq
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience