Shell Malaysia introduces Helix Power & Helix Protect

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
HAHAHAHA!!! What show was that from?

Incidentally :

Nothing new that we don't know yet. The statements that older cars not good to use the cheap Shell, and those newer from 2013 better use the Shell Malaysia stuff are just bollocks! Also if follow whatever the mechanics here say then you'll just always end up using the Shell Malaysia one because workshops here are also taking from Shell Malaysia distribution and they will just keep saying the Giant/Tesco ones are fakes, which is BS too.

In summary, the prices from supermarkets proves that local oil distributors like Shell Malaysia and others are ripping off people with ridiculous prices!

Reactions: parakey and alcyon

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Nothing new that we don't know yet. The statements that older cars not good to use the cheap Shell, and those newer from 2013 better use the Shell Malaysia stuff are just bollocks! Also if follow whatever the mechanics here say then you'll just always end up using the Shell Malaysia one because workshops here are also taking from Shell Malaysia distribution and they will just keep saying the Giant/Tesco ones are fakes, which is BS too.

In summary, the prices from supermarkets proves that local oil distributors like Shell Malaysia and others are ripping off people with ridiculous prices!
Yah, especially since it is still group 3 oil, hydro cracked from crude oil.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
HAHAHAHA!!! What show was that from?

Incidentally :

Its from a 2001 Movie Dude Where's My Car.

Indeed prices of EO in malaysia is ridiculous. Whenever i tell Americans the price we pay, they gasp in horror.
No need go to all this trouble to create another new product. Just lower the price to reasonable levels.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I wouldn't put it as ripping people off - there is actual science behind their formulation and all otherwise Shell would've been sued by someone ages ago kinda like how Castrol was sued for their Magnatec range.

There are reasons why older cars vs newer cars can't really go with the same oils. Even Penrite has their "classic car" range of oils that are more suited for classic cars vs their newer HPR / Enviro range of oils. I cannot recall the reason but you probably can research it yourself (www.penriteoil.com.au/products/brands/classic)

If you do a quick google : What Are the Risks of Switching to Synthetic Oil in Older Cars?

There are reasons la.. it's not to say bullocks altogether.

Yah, especially since it is still group 3 oil, hydro cracked from crude oil.
Actually there's nothing wrong with group 3/4 oils. Most brands run group 3 or 4 except their racing or top end ranges that use Ester base oils. Then there's also the different qualities of group 3/4 oils. Have a read here :

Don't get caught up too much in group 3 / 4 / 5 base oils. Most modern reputable oils these days are more than well blended with the good stuff. The only things we need to focus on is the additives and how it works / reacts with our cars.

I mean you should know - you use a diesel oil in your car. Kaokao detergents in your oils

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I wouldn't put it as ripping people off - there is actual science behind their formulation and all otherwise Shell would've been sued by someone ages ago kinda like how Castrol was sued for their Magnatec range.

There are reasons why older cars vs newer cars can't really go with the same oils. Even Penrite has their "classic car" range of oils that are more suited for classic cars vs their newer HPR / Enviro range of oils. I cannot recall the reason but you probably can research it yourself (www.penriteoil.com.au/products/brands/classic)

If you do a quick google : What Are the Risks of Switching to Synthetic Oil in Older Cars?

There are reasons la.. it's not to say bullocks altogether.

Actually there's nothing wrong with group 3/4 oils. Most brands run group 3 or 4 except their racing or top end ranges that use Ester base oils. Then there's also the different qualities of group 3/4 oils. Have a read here :

Don't get caught up too much in group 3 / 4 / 5 base oils. Most modern reputable oils these days are more than well blended with the good stuff. The only things we need to focus on is the additives and how it works / reacts with our cars.

I mean you should know - you use a diesel oil in your car. Kaokao detergents in your oils
It's ripping people off because of the sky high prices! I am not saying the Shell MY product is bad but the prices are bad, so do many other brands. If supermarkets can sell as low as rm100-120, what is the reason MY distributors sell at more than double?? If say they got "special blend" for MY, I can accept like 20-30% higher prices but more than double??? That's a rip off in my book.

As for the old vs new car oils, I know can be different but I was talking specifically about that article comparing Shell supermarkets vs Shell MY, which IMHO it's bollocks! I believe both oils are very similar that the application of both are the same.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
As for the old vs new car oils, I know can be different but I was talking specifically about that article comparing Shell supermarkets vs Shell MY, which IMHO it's bollocks! I believe both oils are very similar that the application of both are the same.
That DSF guy is paid to write I think.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Not to say group 3 is bad, just that is still made from crude rather than PAO and Ester.

Well, for me, first idea was to use the HDEO oil as flush, but after pouring in and running, my engine very smooth and quiet so just continue using. Since engine is so old already and not running that much nowadays, just use this oil at 6 moths interval and it is so cheap, RM80 for 7L.......lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It's ripping people off because of the sky high prices! I am not saying the Shell MY product is bad but the prices are bad, so do many other brands. If supermarkets can sell as low as rm100-120, what is the reason MY distributors sell at more than double?? If say they got "special blend" for MY, I can accept like 20-30% higher prices but more than double??? That's a rip off in my book.

Having been from the O&G industry, there's a reason why things are priced the way they are. Companies like Mobil (Exxon), Motul, etc spend millions every year on R&D. Prices are dictated by the amount of work they do on their research and partially on the quality of the additives and base oil (which is dictated by global prices). Those cheap oils out there don't have this R&D in their portfolio what their claims are is purely based on what they tell you, nothing is verifiable.

Supermarkets like Tesco buy their oils by the bulk and they supply the bulk globally, so their quantity is massive. We're talking 6 or 7-figure quantity orders or more. They can afford to sell at these prices because of the amount they buy. If all dealers in the market bought that much then they can sell for the same kind of price. I know some main distributors that don't and can't buy that much quantity. So it's not a rip-off - it's quantity of scale.

Tesco's supplier of Mobil oils is in Europe hence the European blends is available here in Msia. Is it better than M'sian blend? I honestly don't know because I've never done a UOA on the Mobil oils I used in the past vs the supermarket ones.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Having been from the O&G industry, there's a reason why things are priced the way they are. Companies like Mobil (Exxon), Motul, etc spend millions every year on R&D. Prices are dictated by the amount of work they do on their research and partially on the quality of the additives and base oil (which is dictated by global prices). Those cheap oils out there don't have this R&D in their portfolio what their claims are is purely based on what they tell you, nothing is verifiable.

Supermarkets like Tesco buy their oils by the bulk and they supply the bulk globally, so their quantity is massive. We're talking 6 or 7-figure quantity orders or more. They can afford to sell at these prices because of the amount they buy. If all dealers in the market bought that much then they can sell for the same kind of price. I know some main distributors that don't and can't buy that much quantity. So it's not a rip-off - it's quantity of scale.

Tesco's supplier of Mobil oils is in Europe hence the European blends is available here in Msia. Is it better than M'sian blend? I honestly don't know because I've never done a UOA on the Mobil oils I used in the past vs the supermarket ones.
Bro, I am not talking about cheap unknown oils but Shell etc2. Yes supermarkets are buying at bulk but at the end of the day it all comes from Shell right? Just different countries, Europe and MY. How come MY price so expensive?? The analogy is like you buy BMW ckd from BMW MY is more than double the price you buy from direct import BMW CBU. Doesn't make sense to me.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Bro, I am not talking about cheap unknown oils but Shell etc2. Yes supermarkets are buying at bulk but at the end of the day it all comes from Shell right? Just different countries, Europe and MY. How come MY price so expensive?? The analogy is like you buy BMW ckd from BMW MY is more than double the price you buy from direct import BMW CBU. Doesn't make sense to me.
Dude, economies of scale la. Malaysia distributor/dealers don't have the bulk that Tesco buys them at. You try going to buy 10 items vs 100 pieces of the same item from the same seller, they will give you a bigger discount for the 100 pieces.

Also there's this taxation thing Msia is so fond of........

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Dude, economies of scale la. Malaysia distributor/dealers don't have the bulk that Tesco buys them at. You try going to buy 10 items vs 100 pieces of the same item from the same seller, they will give you a bigger discount for the 100 pieces.

Also there's this taxation thing Msia is so fond of........
Bro, this is Shell MY or Petronas that we are talking about for example. You're saying they don't have volume for economies of scale for MY market? Some more Shell claims they make their own special blend for MY, how come can do that but don't have economies of scale and have to charge sky high prices??

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
Bro, this is Shell MY or Petronas that we are talking about for example. You're saying they don't have volume for economies of scale for MY market? Some more Shell claims they make their own special blend for MY, how come can do that but don't have economies of scale and have to charge sky high prices??
maybe they already accounted for middleman charges? warehouse storage, 1st their supplier, 2nd tier supplier, 3rd , etc to retailers then to end user? while tesco, direct from oil manufacturer with no middleman charges?
just my 2cents of imagination

Reactions: Izso

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
maybe they already accounted for middleman charges? warehouse storage, 1st their supplier, 2nd tier supplier, 3rd , etc to retailers then to end user? while tesco, direct from oil manufacturer with no middleman charges?
just my 2cents of imagination
Still more than double price? Supermarkets are middle men themselves so by right they should have some margin already yet they can sell at such low promotion price.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can someone teach me or help me on installing wira s.e bumper to wira sedan?? and the grill.. coz i install the grill, seen like "terkeluar" from the lamp..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience