Are Lightweight Rims worth the investment?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
it is similar to searching a needle in a haystack
Not really la. I found the links above just within a few mins of browsing in FB/mudah. Just check them out, P1 is also very lightweight around 4+kg. I would've gotten them myself if it's 5x114.3.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
For street use, NO. Buy the best tyres you can afford, makes more difference.

Limpeh speak from experience. Limpeh used original Rays TE37, now riding on Enkei RPF1. Unless you on the track and trying to shave 2 tenths of a second from your lap time. TE37 was the 3rd lightest wheel available for my size. The CE28N was lightest, followed by the SSR Type C, and then the TE37. I can only say not worth spending that much on it.

And NMGH (brownie points for those who know what I'm saying), RPF1 damn soft, easy to bend on LJ roads in KL. TE37 and SSR Type C...haha.. forged 1 piece wheels just crack. Can't repair. If you're buying used forged wheels inspect it with a magnifying glass to look out for micro fractures.

Advanti rims are great value for money for the weight they come in with.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Limpeh speak from experience. Limpeh used original Rays TE37, now riding on Enkei RPF1. Unless you on the track and trying to shave 2 tenths of a second from your lap time. TE37 was the 3rd lightest wheel available for my size. The CE28N was lightest, followed by the SSR Type C, and then the TE37. I can only say not worth spending that much on it.

And NMGH (brownie points for those who know what I'm saying), RPF1 damn soft, easy to bend on LJ roads in KL. TE37 and SSR Type C...haha.. forged 1 piece wheels just crack. Can't repair. If you're buying used forged wheels inspect it with a magnifying glass to look out for micro fractures.

Yeah the prices for those JDM super lightweight wheels are mostly too high. I have only ever bought 2 forged lighweight wheels, previously 17' Prodrive GC07 and currently used 18' Volk F-Winning Zero. I never bought any wheels over 2.5k/set coz just not willing to spend more than that. The GC07 was the most expensive for me at around 2.4 or 2.3k if not mistaken, bought in 2012 then sold in 2018 at 2k. Both forged wheels are holding well though despite them more than 10 yrs old.

I also use a set of 17' Konig Hypergram now. Almost as light as RPF1 but less than half the price, bought in almost new condition. Excellent value for money but not sure how strong they are, probably similar to RPF1 because same technology.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya

i agree. but for those with larger than 17" wheels, it would be a huge benefit. if 15", just go get advanti or those auto option thailand rims. auto option are quite good and reputable 'replicas' eventho it doesnt really get close to the original weight. but durability compare to cheapo 500 bucks taiwan rims, auto option is better. price is close to advanti's.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
i agree. but for those with larger than 17" wheels, it would be a huge benefit. if 15", just go get advanti or those auto option thailand rims. auto option are quite good and reputable 'replicas' eventho it doesnt really get close to the original weight. but durability compare to cheapo 500 bucks taiwan rims, auto option is better. price is close to advanti's.
Auto Option is much cheaper than Advanti Storm I think. It's also normal weight, so 15x7' is about 7kg/pc while Storm is like 5kg?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Of course, bigger rims, bigger weight difference. But still don’t justify spending on forged versus advanti flow formed DST range. Which, Enkei EPF1 is flow formed as well.

if advanti made such good wheels back then I would have brought them. Design looks good too. Anyway now on 18” rubbers alone cost 2k... FML, not changing wheels. Can’t even bring myself to splurge on PS4.

I was driving a 5 series for 2 days on 19” with 40 profile fronts and 35 profile rears. I’m like, WHY, 18” would have been fine. This low profile madness isn’t workable in KL LJ roads. I managed to bent 2 stock rims of mine even on 40 & 45 profile. Of course my one of my RPF1 was bent on 50 profile.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Of course, bigger rims, bigger weight difference. But still don’t justify spending on forged versus advanti flow formed DST range. Which, Enkei EPF1 is flow formed as well.

if advanti made such good wheels back then I would have brought them. Design looks good too. Anyway now on 18” rubbers alone cost 2k... FML, not changing wheels. Can’t even bring myself to splurge on PS4.

I was driving a 5 series for 2 days on 19” with 40 profile fronts and 35 profile rears. I’m like, WHY, 18” would have been fine. This low profile madness isn’t workable in KL LJ roads. I managed to bent 2 stock rims of mine even on 40 & 45 profile. Of course my one of my RPF1 was bent on 50 profile.
Some mild bends are unavoidable, as long as still can balance without vibrations then still ok. I also prefer using tires with sidewall height at least around 10cm, don't want to go lower than 9.5cm.

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
TE37 and SSR Type C...haha.. forged 1 piece wheels just crack. Can't repair. If you're buying used forged wheels inspect it with a magnifying glass to look out for micro fractures.

Enkei rpf1 rim bents on 50 profile, I was shocked to hear that. Worst still, this was my first time hearing a genuine experience of forged rim cracked :O

damn pain at the heart and wallet severe bleeding

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Enkei rpf1 rim bents on 50 profile, I was shocked to hear that. Worst still, this was my first time hearing a genuine experience of forged rim cracked :O

damn pain at the heart and wallet severe bleeding
Not my forged rims fracture, but I've seen SSR Type C in person with micro fractures. Flow formed wheels can still be repaired. RPF1 with 55 profile also bent...

Including myself, 4 of my friends run RPF1, 3 sets on 15", 1 set on 17"... all of us also bent before...

Last edited:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Auto Option is much cheaper than Advanti Storm I think. It's also normal weight, so 15x7' is about 7kg/pc while Storm is like 5kg?
depends on the design. i've seen auto option rpf1 design weight less than 6kg.

advanti only this design weights 4.9kg for 15" no? i searched other design, 79B storm S1 also about 10lbs (4.6kg). but i dont really like the design on advantis.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
depends on the design. i've seen auto option rpf1 design weight less than 6kg.

advanti only this design weights 4.9kg for 15" no? i searched other design, 79B storm S1 also about 10lbs (4.6kg). but i dont really like the design on advantis.
tahan the storm series design, function over form!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Haiya.

Use black steelies for lightweight and no heart ache when damaged. Then use Duct tape and tape your own special design on top for wannabe power.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, i am totally new in car maintaining as i am going to get my first own car soon.
Is Tufoil suitable to use for a brand new car? Will it void warranty?

I understand that every 5000 km we need to change car oil which we called black oil in cantonese. So is Tufoil a kind of black oil or it's a supplement oil which means we still need to use black oil + Tufoil?

Where do we fill Tufoil into? How? When?

Sry if the questions r too newbie :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience