Engine transplant to turbo engine..

27needles

Aug 23, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys! Wow i miss posting in ZTH.. Been lurking once awhile over the years, but have not posted in so long. Hope most veterans are still active around here. hehehe..

I have been a casual modder since i started modding , and only played with N/A so far.. Small mods only, exhausts, and even the highest mod for me is only a performance camshaft on my old car.. Never touched the engine or forced induction before.. I tried Googling about "what to know about turbo engines tranplants" , and they only talked about either how to drive a turbo car, or how to actually DIY transplant the engine (lol!) .

Is it troublesome transplanting to a turbo engine? I own a Proton Pr eve non-turbo cvt now.. I saw that the usual engine transplant for Preve is 4g93t . But isn't this a very old engine? Does it still make sense, and is it reliable to transplant to this engine, to get more power ? (instead of changing a new car) .

As i really miss driving Manual .. and my current car's CVT lag is slowly and slightly starting to get on my nerves ...
Now I am thinking - If my gearbox ever fails (apparently it's a rare, but potential issue for my car) , i am thinking instead of repairing the gearbox, might as well top up abit more and do a 4g93t transplant with manual gearbox?

Do feel free to tell me if I'm just being a noob, and not thinking straight. xD Thank you sifus!

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi there

Is it troublesome transplanting to a turbo engine?
It depends, theres evo plonk in preve. First thing first and the most important step, find a workshop that can deliver this transplant job with good feedback from previous customer.

But isn't this a very old engine?
yes its old,doesnt mean it cant perform. Just change whatever need during engine transplant. save you the trouble later.
dont expect it has good fuel consumption either vs your current km/L . standby some cash for unexpected breakdown for the first few month/year depending on your usage.

is it reliable to transplant to this engine, to get more power ?
Reliability?should not be an issue if its well kept and maintain. I drive my perdanalution every time ill go outstation. Sort out engine reliability before going into power .

Just my 2cent and experience.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My VR transplant 20 years already. Need 2nd engine when timing belt snapped, but funny things is cruising to work when it snapped.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys! Wow i miss posting in ZTH.. Been lurking once awhile over the years, but have not posted in so long. Hope most veterans are still active around here. hehehe..

I have been a casual modder since i started modding , and only played with N/A so far.. Small mods only, exhausts, and even the highest mod for me is only a performance camshaft on my old car.. Never touched the engine or forced induction before.. I tried Googling about "what to know about turbo engines tranplants" , and they only talked about either how to drive a turbo car, or how to actually DIY transplant the engine (lol!) .

Is it troublesome transplanting to a turbo engine? I own a Proton Pr eve non-turbo cvt now.. I saw that the usual engine transplant for Preve is 4g93t . But isn't this a very old engine? Does it still make sense, and is it reliable to transplant to this engine, to get more power ? (instead of changing a new car) .

As i really miss driving Manual .. and my current car's CVT lag is slowly and slightly starting to get on my nerves ...
Now I am thinking - If my gearbox ever fails (apparently it's a rare, but potential issue for my car) , i am thinking instead of repairing the gearbox, might as well top up abit more and do a 4g93t transplant with manual gearbox?

Do feel free to tell me if I'm just being a noob, and not thinking straight. xD Thank you sifus!
Modding a car isn't a problem if it's done properly. On the flipside if not done properly it'll be a never ending source of financial nightmares.

All a matter of finding the right shop to do the mods properly at the right price. Otherwise just trade in your car for a proper manual stick shift. If you're talking about reliability stock is the best.

And the 4G93T is quite old like you said - it'll probably give you better power compared to your Preve NA but considering the amount of work needed to be done - that'll make the car kinda not worth it unless you plan on keeping the car forever.

Anyway ultimately whether or not you want to do this will depend on your budget, whether or not you want to mod it or change a car, etc.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Sell your Preve, buy a manual turbocharged car like a WRX STi. Since you want manual.

Izso already mentioned, if not done properly...

maintaining an old car >5 years is not easy. modding an old car with old parts is just... a money pit.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

preve tech is far more ahead than wira. i would suggest u drop in preve turbo engine to avoid complication.
Even my stock wira gsr cant chase preve on straight or my balls not big enough....lol
If money no problem do as you wish.

Reactions: Izso

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
what needs to be said has been said...
take note, 93t prices are no fun.

preve tech is far more ahead than wira. i would suggest u drop in preve turbo engine to avoid complication.
Even my stock wira gsr cant chase preve on straight or my balls not big enough....lol
lu mia gsr, low down i think u will kalah (preve i think power is already in at 2k) but otherwise u should have no issues keeping up.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Masuk 63T loh.....hhahhahahha

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
lu mia gsr, low down i think u will kalah (preve i think power is already in at 2k) but otherwise u should have no issues keeping up.
Joki shy2 cat nak tekan pedal...:dancing2:

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Eh 93T can lose to a preve turbo? Impossibru

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
this is driver issue. hahaha. but like @lsm1991 said, preve tebo spools early. sumore cvt..

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Should be easily potong preve also le when cruising.. got dyno tune your engine before? Maybe losing power somewhr..its just a preve turbo (opppsss)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I am looking for this stuff, it's mainly used for turbocharger blankets on large gas compressors ( pushing well over 2000 HPs ), and my Net pals over at US have successfully used this item to repack their mufflers, both cars and bikes. Reportedly to be extremely durable ( the guy who used 'em on his R1 have yet to replace his muffler packing for over 2 years now! ) and long - lasting. I am sourcing this stuff for my pal ( who have replaced his Gilera Nexus 500's muffler packing THRICE in 6...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience