Dreaded Steering Wheel Vibrations at High Speed

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The center ring make the wheels snub fit. My tayarman use white teflon, he machine out the ring.
When pull out the wheels need more punch up, down, left, right. Hahaha
mine made of aluminum, had balancing issues before using them. need to centralized then on wheel balancing. then every time take out, mark the hole also no use.....lol Now with the cone, off wheel balancing ok already, take out put back no marking also no issue......haha

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
The wheel further out is original rims offset or by using spacers?
2 things that made the front wheels sir further out:

1.) Negative offset of the wheels
2.) The disc rotor center hub is wider than stock and came with centric hub design, sort of like a spacer.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
2 things that made the front wheels sir further out:

1.) Negative offset of the wheels
2.) The disc rotor center hub is wider than stock and came with centric hub design, sort of like a spacer.
As long as have centric hub that fits the rims center, they are ok. Many spacers are just flat so it does not keep the rims centralized......

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Dear All,

Just found out one thing, the centre bore size of the rear wheels are not matched, therefore causes all the vibrations to the body. The front one matches due to i need to use after market wheel bearing to mount the disc rotor, and the bore size at the front is 74.5 mm. The rear is 72.5 mm. We jacked the car and put the gear in D to see the movement and noticed the wheels are hopping up and down. We just need to install the right fitment of centre cone and see whether it cures this shit.

Thanks,
Ken
Your vibration problem settled?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Your vibration problem settled?
Yes it was settled, how amazing that just a 2 mm difference in hub bore size can caused so much trouble. Now i am able to drive the car with confidence !

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes it was settled, how amazing that just a 2 mm difference in hub bore size can caused so much trouble. Now i am able to drive the car with confidence !
That was why my first question to you was, got center ring?.....lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
That was why my first question to you was, got center ring?.....lol
Initially no, coz the mechanic insist it doesn’t need centre ring cause its oem. Finally he gave in and check for free play and found it. Haha

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Initially no, coz the mechanic insist it doesn’t need centre ring cause its oem. Finally he gave in and check for free play and found it. Haha
Simple case of removing the rear wheel and measuring. Your mechanic is quite a stubborn fella

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Simple case of removing the rear wheel and measuring. Your mechanic is quite a stubborn fella
I yelled at him to finally threaten him i am not paying until you cured the issue. And there we go :)

Yeah, most mechanic will jack up the wheels and use hand to rotate and confirm about the issue.
That's what he did, and the stock wheels and lug nuts are very tight when testing. Therefore he wasn't suspecting the centre cone either.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I yelled at him to finally threaten him i am not paying until you cured the issue. And there we go :)
Notes this down. Yelling sometimes works :biggrin:

Yeah, most mechanic will jack up the wheels and use hand to rotate and confirm about the issue.
Compared to the power transmitted by the engine to the rear wheel, how much power can arm wiggling transmit? Wiggling test only good for badly worn arms; generally stuff which driver should be able to feel at low speeds. Let's say if rear wheel bearing is making a bit of noise. I dont think wriggling is able to detect that; not unless your bearing is about to fall into pieces

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Notes this down. Yelling sometimes works :biggrin:

Compared to the power transmitted by the engine to the rear wheel, how much power can arm wiggling transmit? Wiggling test only good for badly worn arms; generally stuff which driver should be able to feel at low speeds. Let's say if rear wheel bearing is making a bit of noise. I dont think wriggling is able to detect that; not unless your bearing is about to fall into pieces
Provided if you are close friend to your mechanic, otherwise he can make your ride even worse

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Provided if you are close friend to your mechanic, otherwise he can make your ride even worse
My mechanic now become family friend some more. Very mild mannered and had never raise voice before, now 30 plus years already.....lol
Sometimes If he free, he come and collect my car go repair......hahhahhahaha

Reactions: Mitevo7

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
My mechanic now become family friend some more. Very mild mannered and had never raise voice before, now 30 plus years already.....lol
Sometimes If he free, he come and collect my car go repair......hahhahhahaha
can also jot down in buku 555? hehehe....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Wira 1.5 A GLI
Hi sifus, i got a question, im not quite sure about my current exhaust mods cant trust those exhaust shops guys la, can anyone advise me on my current setup? Tried modifying few times till running out of ideas

Last time use to have two bullets but now replace with midbox some how feels better pick up! so now my setup is 4-2-1---Bullet----midbox------s-flow muffler
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience