Is it wise for me to buy these second hand cars?

jon360x

Dec 27, 2018
Hi there ZTH, I'm just curious to know your opinions on getting second hand cars for someone like me who is currently in this kind of lifestyle/situation

-I am currently 26 years old and I've already worked for 5 years. I have gathered some amount of saving for future uses (or in case of emergencies)
-I currently drive an Inokom Atos 1.1 Auto 2004
-I rarely drive but I do drive like 3-4 times a week (I only drive the car when I need to or to make sure the car starts and the battery doesnt die). Mostly short distance drives. I don't use the car for daily more like weekend car.
-I have poured quite some money into fixing this old car but there is still issues with this car and maybe I am getting tired of fixing it and rather I'm just maintaining it at the moment (I am still keeping/driving this car because of sentimental value. This is my dad's car and he has passed away)
-I have thought about getting a new/used car to have an ease of mind
-With a set budget (purchase + repairs if needed) I've narrowed down my used car to Corolla SEG,SE (1.6 Blacktop/Silvertop/AE92/AE101) / Wira 1.8 DOHC / Satria Neo 1.6 / KE70 1.6 (this car might be too much for me to handle so I'll leave it as the last thing on my mind)
-I've read up and looked around the internet about risks of buying used cars and so on
-If I had to buy a new car I would be comfortable with monthly installment of 300-500 at most
-looking at the cars I've listed, how are the spare parts availability and its reliability?
-I am not looking into modifying or tuning the car but rather just enjoying it as it is and maintaining it.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi there ZTH, I'm just curious to know your opinions on getting second hand cars for someone like me who is currently in this kind of lifestyle/situation

-I am currently 26 years old and I've already worked for 5 years. I have gathered some amount of saving for future uses (or in case of emergencies)
-I rarely drive but I do drive like 3-4 times a week (I only drive the car when I need to or to make sure the car starts and the battery doesnt die). Mostly short distance drives. I don't use the car for daily more like weekend car.
-I have poured quite some money into fixing this old car but there is still issues with this car and maybe I am getting tired of fixing it and rather I'm just maintaining it at the moment (I am still keeping/driving this car because of sentimental value. This is my dad's car and he has passed away)
-With a set budget (purchase + repairs if needed) I've narrowed down my used car to Corolla SEG,SE (1.6 Blacktop/Silvertop/AE92/AE101) / Wira 1.8 DOHC / Satria Neo 1.6 / KE70 1.6 (this car might be too much for me to handle so I'll leave it as the last thing on my mind)
-I've read up and looked around the internet about risks of buying used cars and so on
-If I had to buy a new car I would be comfortable with monthly installment of 300-500 at most
-looking at the cars I've listed, how are the spare parts availability and its reliability?
-I am not looking into modifying or tuning the car but rather just enjoying it as it is and maintaining it.
How much is actually your budget?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
None of the cars mentioned except the Neo can be financed. Not sure abt credit though.

Get a knowledgeable guy abt the car you want to buy when going to view the car.
Knowledgeable and wannabe@poyo is not the same.

Buying 2nd hand car is not really a nightmare as uhave plenty of decent choice at lower price.

Your installment budget can also get you a suprima s, a renault fluence ( engine+drivetrain is nissan sylphy ), Iriz, etc....good cars to pick from.

jon360x

Dec 27, 2018
How much is actually your budget?
for those cars mentioned about 15k to purchase and repair. But depends on the model Im buying. if its neo then i will definitely get it financed.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Iriz 1.6 manual.

Don't buy used old cars. You'll spend time fixing it more than driving it, since you don't daily drive anyway.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Don't drive often, buying new car also no point. Getting used car have to pick the right one, have to be cheap and easier to maintain. If not, better off maintain your old car

Reactions: minibeany

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

It sounds like you only drive because you have to not because you want to. So personally I'd just trade in the inokom (which is expensive to maintain), trade it in for a Perodua Axia (cheap car) and pay for that. New car = no repair costs. It's also the cheapest car in the market at the moment that has minimal problems.

I would not buy any of those used cars - your budget is too low to buy, fix, run and maintain those cars. Those have cult followings yes but you'd need to be pretty dedicated to keep it running.

Reactions: minibeany

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
It sounds like you only drive because you have to not because you want to. So personally I'd just trade in the inokom (which is expensive to maintain), trade it in for a Perodua Axia (cheap car) and pay for that. New car = no repair costs. It's also the cheapest car in the market at the moment that has minimal problems.

I would not buy any of those used cars - your budget is too low to buy, fix, run and maintain those cars. Those have cult followings yes but you'd need to be pretty dedicated to keep it running.
+1 Iszo hits it spot on.

I've already worked for 5 years. I have gathered some amount of saving for future uses (or in case of emergencies)
Try thinking back on how long it took to save those monies. Too easy to fall back into the money pit.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
But buy new car got monthly installments also.......lol
At least that's fixed and can be planned for.

If alternator breaks for one of the old used cars, or the distributor breaks, or lower arm bushes, or creaks and squeeks, or fuel pump failure, it's time and money wasted.

Unless you get a lemon new car - that's a different story

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sizzling Start at Sepang's New MCS Season Last Weekend! - 2018 Round 1

Sunday, 1st April 2018- Action on track were exciting with 66-year old grandfather, Tony Teo outshining his more celebrated and younger challengers to win Race 2 for the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience