Review: 2018 Honda Civic Type-R (FK8R)

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Calm be the storm
The new CTR is calm. Too calm. It is so calm it feels like its its never in a rush to go anywhere. It is no longer the hyperactive hooligan we used to know but has evolved into a new generation of automotive hypebeast targeted at millennials. This angered the purists as the familiar iconic Type-R signature has been completely eradicated. The very essence of what made the Type-R a Type-R, that was encapsulated in the imperfect but ultra-sweet FD2R, the last of the pure NA Type-R which:

Was always in a rush to go somewhere. A touch of the throttle sends it barking and pouncing instantly.
Entertained us all with its orgasmic VTEC zone, a right foot initiated interactive feature that mechanically changes engine behaviour at a certain RPM onwards
Had like the shortest gear ratios in the world, needs to rev rev rev and shift shift shift to get some speed. Forget about driving on highways
Only came with 2 modes which can only be accessed by your right foot. Yes...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It may not be a purists car - but it works as great car. So for 300k people will have to think whether to get a Merc or a Honda.... hmm...

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
It may not be a purists car - but it works as great car. So for 300k people will have to think whether to get a Merc or a Honda.... hmm
If manual is not an issue, they technically could consider the R

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If manual is not an issue, they technically could consider the R
Personally I feel this new type-R is neither here nor there. If I were seriously in the market for a 300k+ car, I honestly doubt I'd look at this type-R unless I've been eye-ing since day 1. But then again I'd probably already have a FD2R at home already if I had that much spare change for a new car.

So perhaps it boils down to how much of an enthusiastic driver I am or want to be?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
It seems this CTR transformation is like when Evo went from the IX to the X, trying to appeal to larger and more mature market by making it less hardcore despite such hard core race boy look, is it?

IMHO the only good thing about this car is the manual gearbox. I'm not much of a fan of the previous CTR look and this is even worse in my eyes. The other thing is, it's still a FWD car. It would have been better if it's AWD. If I were to spend on rm300+k on such hyper hatch, I'd buy the A45 despite it being harsher. If only the A45 available in manual, then that would be perfect.

I have also seen and read rumors about Nissan's entry into this segment by resurrecting the Pulsar GTI-R which based on the concept photos so far looks much better than this CTR and also AWD. I certainly hope Nissan will go ahead with it to make the hyper hatch competition even more exciting.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Personally I feel this new type-R is neither here nor there. If I were seriously in the market for a 300k+ car, I honestly doubt I'd look at this type-R unless I've been eye-ing since day 1. But then again I'd probably already have a FD2R at home already if I had that much spare change for a new car. So perhaps it boils down to how much of an enthusiastic driver I am or want to be?
Yes, one needs to be in the market for a hot hatch, he / she like manual cars, want something not mainstream like AMG / VW GTIR. Heritage and outright performance secondary.

To be honest, less hardcore drivers would appreciate the Type-R's calmness, comfort and practicality. Every other hot hatch out there doesn't offer these

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
It seems this CTR transformation is like when Evo went from the IX to the X, trying to appeal to larger and more mature market by making it less hardcore despite such hard core race boy look, is it?
I think the CTR would have been perfect if they hadn't sprinkled it with premium features. If it was still relatively down to earth, it would have mechanical suspension, less tinkering with the exhaust noise and perhaps less muted all-round as well.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yes, one needs to be in the market for a hot hatch, he / she like manual cars, want something not mainstream like AMG / VW GTIR. Heritage and outright performance secondary.

To be honest, less hardcore drivers would appreciate the Type-R's calmness, comfort and practicality. Every other hot hatch out there doesn't offer these
Hmm I wouldn't call the AMG A45 mainstream too because of its super fast and hardcore suspension, I don't think it's suitable for just anyone. Maybe golf R but not AMG.

I think the CTR would have been perfect if they hadn't sprinkled it with premium features. If it was still relatively down to earth, it would have mechanical suspension, less tinkering with the exhaust noise and perhaps less muted all-round as well.
Meaning staying true to its roots and be more hardcore to match the manual gearbox. In essence I agree with Izso, this CTR is neither there nor here kinda thing. It looks so hardcore, it has manual gearbox so less practical than Golf R, yet it's not super fast like the AMG and less hardcore too.
For me also tone down the appearance, just too overkill IMHO.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm I wouldn't call the AMG A45 mainstream too because of its super fast and hardcore suspension, I don't think it's suitable for just anyone. Maybe golf R but not AMG.
Mainstream because there are more AMG 45s out there than the Golf R. Ironic isn't it, considering it's more hardcore and more expensive.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Mainstream because there are more AMG 45s out there than the Golf R. Ironic isn't it, considering it's more hardcore and more expensive.
Coz Golf R is a VW and the price is not so attractive for a VW or that level of car, that's why. The AMG even though more expensive but it's an AMG! And the actual competition for it is not the Golf R but the Audi RS3 and BMW M2, both are way more expensive, so the A45 is a the better value for money. So the A45 is like the Evo and GTR, the best bang for the buck for their respective class.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Coz Golf R is a VW and the price is not so attractive for a VW or that level of car, that's why. The AMG even though more expensive but it's an AMG! And the actual competition for it is not the Golf R but the Audi RS3 and BMW M2, both are way more expensive, so the A45 is a the better value for money. So the A45 is like the Evo and GTR, the best bang for the buck for their respective class.
That is why you also eyeing one.....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think the the Megane RS250 is a good value for money now at RM100K and below, give it a try
Hmm it's a good car but I'm not interested in FWD anymore for now. I want an AWD now since I already have RWD.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm it's a good car but I'm not interested in FWD anymore for now. I want an AWD now since I already have RWD.
For that, perhaps when the new A comes out this week, you can expect current AMG 45 cars to drop in price further in the coming months. Under 200K could be a sweet deal

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've 1 HKS 3037 turbo need repair, the bearing come out oredi.. any workshop is the most recommanded or anyone here can pm me if u're doing repair turbo service..
roughly how much if repair this kind of ball bearing turbo?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience