Hi ZTH :) i have some issues with my 1st car

Apr 19, 2018
Hello to all reading, I'm new to this forum, in fact just registered.
currently, I'm a student driving a satria with 4g92 mivec (just basic mods i think) as my first car. bought the car because MIVEC, i thought it would only consume so much only when mivec is on. as it turns out, the car is thirsty all the time.

Power steering leaking
bought the car at terengganu (tq mudah) and drove it back to nilai, without any problem noticed on power steering system such as squeaking, heavy steering at low speed and so on. But now all hell breaks lose, i basically have no power steering now, and the idle sound is really bad, i tried to look for the replacement part (I included a photo of the leaking hose). an uncle quoted me <300 for the repair after i spent 160 at his workshop. i dont quite trust him anymore. How much can i expect to pay for the fix?

100kmh 3krpm 5th gear
so far it has been quite a thirsty one, and based on some reading I've done, the short ratio of mivec gearbox is causing the high fuel consumption. if i plan to mix gears from other mitsubishi gears, could that solve the problem? maybe gsr final drive? i dont drive with mivec on all the time, because i dont like driving dangerously on the road

not only that, the gears sometimes do kick back to neutral, and the 4th gear seems to enjoy doing it the most.

Also last question, my satria is a 1.3 from the factory, is it going to be legal if i put a 1.8 block in there? since the mounting needs to be changed in order to fit 4g9x, right?

if you somehow managed to read all that, thank you for your time and have nice day to everyone :)

Attachments

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Since your 4G92 is legal already leave it. 1.3 to 1.8 is over the legal limit. If the power steering hose is leaking, just need to change that hose....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
In terms of your fuel consumption, just try to make sure your car is as healthy as you can before thinking of changing the final gear ratio. Make sure the engine air fuel ratio is good, injectors, TB, cooling system, plugs, intake and combustion chambers are relatively clean and operating at optimum level, clutch is still good, etc2. Then if all already ok and still FC not as expected, then only think to change the final gear. Changing final gear to longer one may help in highway cruising but also will sacrifice acceleration and might not help in city drive as you may instinctively press gas deeper to compensate for the slower acceleration.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
The hose can be rebuild/repair.
Remove it and send to hydraulic shop.If u cannot find one, look for shop that repair backhoe,crane,that sort of equipment.
Will cost u less than 150 depending on the length and fitting.

On the 4th gear kicking back to neutral...the synchro needs to be replace.

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Also last question, my satria is a 1.3 from the factory, is it going to be legal if i put a 1.8 block in there? since the mounting needs to be changed in order to fit 4g9x, right?
Not legal but mounting no need to be changed to fit 4G93 1.8 because you are already using 4G92 now.

Reactions: studentsatria

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
mivec is good engine already. 100kmh at 3k rpm is ok. Old engine is not as efficient as newer engine in stock form.
my wira also same, cant help it. Newer car can do 120kmh at 3k rpm or less.
Get the current problem solved. U can mix gears, later u will headache no power, no top speed, no acceleration...etc.
depend on ur driving , long distance or short burst.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
The reason it spins so high is the engineers have to match the gear ratio for the power available on a certain engine. for pre CVT tech, the higher the engine cc , the lower the revs at top gear.
For instance, a 2000cc will spin the engine at 4000rpm in top gear at 155kmh, while a 3000cc engine at 4000rpm in top gear is 180kmh.

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Just fix back whatever is need to fix since the car is not young / i mean already long run where need a proper service.
indeed that the rpm is at 3k when 100km/h but the FC has no difference with those new car, trust me.. the only difference is you are in manual, new car in auto + your heavy foot since Mivec sound nice when kick in..:biggrin: :driver:

I had saw some friend using 1.3 to 1.8 legally on the road but you need to double check with JPJ for this since they change with mood :biggrin:..
FYI that Mivec is very good for economical maintainance and normal FC, try not to do anything as the FC will be sky rocket once your hand start itchy.
93T FC is very good in stock but spareparts wise got some extra and once you upboost, your nightmare will start to arise..:marchmellow:

nearly forgot.. don't worry about no spare part since it still NA where same as normal 92 and 93 spare parts

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is the GB a 4G92 one as well?

How old is the engine and its components? Sometimes a simple thing like changing spark plugs and the cable / coil can do wonders for FC. Petrol filter, good oil (GB, engine, diff if you have one, etc), good grounding all will help improve your FC. If after you do all that and it's still high, then only start fiddling with the gears. But right now you need to service that GB cuz popping out is not normal.

studentsatria

Apr 19, 2018
hi and thank you all for replying to my thread. honestly cant thank enough for the knowledge and opinions of different people from this site.

Since your 4G92 is legal already leave it. 1.3 to 1.8 is over the legal limit. If the power steering hose is leaking, just need to change that hose....
The hose can be rebuild/repair.
Remove it and send to hydraulic shop.If u cannot find one, look for shop that repair backhoe,crane,that sort of equipment.
Will cost u less than 150 depending on the length and fitting.

On the 4th gear kicking back to neutral...the synchro needs to be replace.
I already fixed the power steering issue, will take it to puspakom tomorrow to change title.

sweet ... just needs a little tweak / repair and walaa .. the beast is unleashed
i don't consider the mivec technology as beast, but it is one hell of a fun hatch, lovely sporty characteristics, though it is a bit annoying.

Just fix back whatever is need to fix since the car is not young / i mean already long run where need a proper service.
indeed that the rpm is at 3k when 100km/h but the FC has no difference with those new car, trust me.. the only difference is you are in manual, new car in auto + your heavy foot since Mivec sound nice when kick in..:biggrin: :driver:

I had saw some friend using 1.3 to 1.8 legally on the road but you need to double check with JPJ for this since they change with mood :biggrin:..
FYI that Mivec is very good for economical maintainance and normal FC, try not to do anything as the FC will be sky rocket once your hand start itchy.
93T FC is very good in stock but spareparts wise got some extra and once you upboost, your nightmare will start to arise..:marchmellow:

nearly forgot.. don't worry about no spare part since it still NA where same as normal 92 and 93 spare parts
i think you're right. "something happened at 5.5k" but below that i can feel the low torque,
Is the GB a 4G92 one as well?

How old is the engine and its components? Sometimes a simple thing like changing spark plugs and the cable / coil can do wonders for FC. Petrol filter, good oil (GB, engine, diff if you have one, etc), good grounding all will help improve your FC. If after you do all that and it's still high, then only start fiddling with the gears. But right now you need to service that GB cuz popping out is not normal.
i think it is and it better be, because the previous owner 'said' he spent 19k on the car which to me looks completely stock

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Hello to all reading, I'm new to this forum, in fact just registered.
currently, I'm a student driving a satria with 4g92 mivec (just basic mods i think) as my first car. bought the car because MIVEC, i thought it would only consume so much only when mivec is on. as it turns out, the car is thirsty all the time.

Power steering leaking
bought the car at terengganu (tq mudah) and drove it back to nilai, without any problem noticed on power steering system such as squeaking, heavy steering at low speed and so on. But now all hell breaks lose, i basically have no power steering now, and the idle sound is really bad, i tried to look for the replacement part (I included a photo of the leaking hose). an uncle quoted me <300 for the repair after i spent 160 at his workshop. i dont quite trust him anymore. How much can i expect to pay for the fix?

100kmh 3krpm 5th gear
so far it has been quite a thirsty one, and based on some reading I've done, the short ratio of mivec gearbox is causing the high fuel consumption. if i plan to mix gears from other mitsubishi gears, could that solve the problem? maybe gsr final drive? i dont drive with mivec on all the time, because i dont like driving dangerously on the road

not only that, the gears sometimes do kick back to neutral, and the 4th gear seems to enjoy doing it the most.

if you somehow managed to read all that, thank you for your time and have nice day to everyone :)
i paid around 400+ (if i remember correctly) for my mech to custom make a powersteering hose for me, but im told its actually much cheaper than that. Its nothing fancy, basically a tractor hydraulic hose with the ends from the original hose fitted.

about your fc... what do you define high to some 10km per liter is high, to me thats fine. frankly these were not exactly frugal engines. Old tech + performance = subpar fc.

sounds like your 4th synchro is shot. gona be pricey.

about your mounts if you plan to convert to a 93.... should be the same as the mount you already have since you have the 92 in the car.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Lubricants
Brand: elf

Elf Molygraphite 15w50 engine oil 4 liter RM 75
Elf Molygraphite 15w50 engine oil 5 liter RM 91

Exclusive lubricant technology incorporates solid lubricants of graphite and molybdenum disulphite, ensures your engine stays clean and operates at max efficiency, resulting in longer engine life.

Elf Molygraphite 10w30 engine oil 3 liter RM 51
Elf Synthetic Pro 10w50 4 liter RM 161

Also available: Air feel ionizer RM128.00
(quickly and effectively: 30 seconds...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience