Brake upgrade, Lancer CS3A

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
...this..dont just upgrade the caliper and rotor only...but most important is good tyre set, no matter how good your brake are..thats the only part of your car contact with the road..:driver::burnout:

unless turn turtle, diff story:rofl:
Yup of course, tires is always important, it's the most important!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Current standard set up is 276 MM vented as per here:

I take it if I went for different calipers such as 4 pots (maybe from a skyline R32) or 2 pots (maybe from a FTO or Spacewagon, would I have more clearance?

Has anyone done a similar upgrade and what did you do?

cheers
I've had experience with the R32 Skyline 4-pot. It's not a problem to fit a 16" rim, the problem is your offset. 40 offset won't clear it. I used a 5mm spacer to give it some breathing space (too damn close if you ask me) on a 17" rim.

Personally I wouldn't go to the R32 route because the oil reservoir inside this caliper is large, it'll affect your braking pedal feel, probably will drop a significant amount. I ended up not using it on my Sylphy because it was hard to modulate the pedal feel and it kinda gave me on-off brakes. I was using stock Nissan Sylphy servo. Unless you plan to swap out your servo as well? Master cylinder / Brake pump / whatever you call it.

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
I've had experience with the R32 Skyline 4-pot. It's not a problem to fit a 16" rim, the problem is your offset. 40 offset won't clear it. I used a 5mm spacer to give it some breathing space (too damn close if you ask me) on a 17" rim.

Personally I wouldn't go to the R32 route because the oil reservoir inside this caliper is large, it'll affect your braking pedal feel, probably will drop a significant amount. I ended up not using it on my Sylphy because it was hard to modulate the pedal feel and it kinda gave me on-off brakes. I was using stock Nissan Sylphy servo. Unless you plan to swap out your servo as well? Master cylinder / Brake pump / whatever you call it.
Thanks for the feedback, there are a few guys in Thailand running the R32 skyline 4-pot setup, but I have no desire to change my master cylinder, especially because the hydraulic's on my car are linked to the clutch operation also so messing with this could create more issues. I think many just do it to get the 4 pot look on a budget.

I am looking to improve performance and feel (over looks), so thanks to your advise I will forget this idea.

Will probably look at costing out the different Mitsu 2 pot set ups, unless I can find a really good deal on aftermarket or Evo 5+ brembo 4 pots. (@samngcheesan I will PM you nearer the time I am ready to move forward, I am in Thailand but visit KL sometimes)

4 pots might be overkill for what I need though, I guess I am running now about 160 BHP +/- so less that an Evo 3/4 with similar weight. Even if I boost or mod my 4G92 Mivec more I won't be looking for big power much more, the concept of my car is to make it a fun car to drive within the limits of the roads in Thailand, not a power monster (if I had wanted that I would have saved a little more and swapped to a 4G63 Turbo).

New tires and up-rated brake hoses are also on my agenda for this year as well as up-rated hydraulic fluid and up-rated brake pads all round. Used EBC pads in the past in the UK, can anyone recommend what is a good up-rated performance road brake pad popular in Asia?

cheers

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
... Used EBC pads in the past in the UK, can anyone recommend what is a good up-rated performance road brake pad popular in Asia?

cheers
I have been using Project Mu Type NS (400 deg) and now B-Spec (550 deg) and pretty happy with them especially the later one. Other popular option is Endless but I've never tried it, similar price range as Project Mu. But if you can still get EBC for your car then that should be very good too.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
4 pots might be overkill for what I need though, I guess I am running now about 160 BHP +/- so less that an Evo 3/4 with similar weight. Even if I boost or mod my 4G92 Mivec more I won't be looking for big power much more, the concept of my car is to make it a fun car to drive within the limits of the roads in Thailand, not a power monster (if I had wanted that I would have saved a little more and swapped to a 4G63 Turbo).

New tires and up-rated brake hoses are also on my agenda for this year as well as up-rated hydraulic fluid and up-rated brake pads all round. Used EBC pads in the past in the UK, can anyone recommend what is a good up-rated performance road brake pad popular in Asia?

cheers
There's no such thing as overkill for brakes. Unless you're looking at 6-pot or 10-pot calipers, then yeah. But if the car weight justifies the brakes, then it's not overkill bro. My paltry Nissan Sylphy barely had 130hp on wheel and it was CVT auto. I initially used the R32 4-pots and it helped my braking a lot. Just that the pedals were too low and that bothered me a lot. I eventually swapped to AP Racing R 5000 calipers, ultra lightweight, small oil reservoir inside the caliper, staggered pistons (2 big 2 small pistons) meaning the braking was very easily modulated, it made the car so easy to drive. It even poisoned the new owner of my ex-car but I wasn't willing to part with the brakes yet. Keeping it for future use. If your car is heavy, 4-pot upgrades are a good idea regardless of power.

Steel braided hoses will improve brake pedal feel. Good fluids will help but probably won't be obvious unless you're a heavy footer/track goer. I cooked my DOT4 Bosch brake fluid sometime ago in my earlier ex-car and had to stop the car by the side of the road to get back my brakes (it totally sunk the pedal all the way in). After swapping to better fluids and DOT5.1, I didn't have anymore boiling issues.

If you can afford EBC, you can't go wrong with EBC. Otherwise there's Ultrex and lots of good pad brands you can go with. Ferodo racing NOT RECOMMENDED though. Dry (regardless cold or hot) grip awesome, once it's wet there's almost no grip. Ferodo Zero is nice though but aren't performance pads.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
pajero v6 is slightly bigger then evo 3..consider it as oversize brake kit..but twin pot...using at your lancer should be better..lancer lighter than pajero..
The caliper bigger? But same brake pads, right? My VR using the same size brake pads as the Pajero V6

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

cheers
You should be able to find EBC in Thailand, if not get from Malaysia.....lol

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
T I eventually swapped to AP Racing R 5000 calipers, ultra lightweight, small oil reservoir inside the caliper, staggered pistons (2 big 2 small pistons) meaning the braking was very easily modulated, it made the car so easy to drive. It even poisoned the new owner of my ex-car but I wasn't willing to part with the brakes yet. Keeping it for future use. If your car is heavy, 4-pot upgrades are a good idea regardless of power.
how much is that? if you dont mind :adore:

The caliper bigger? But same brake pads, right? My VR using the same size brake pads as the Pajero V6
nope..pad are not the same. slightly bigger too vs evo3...i know this last week when i met my mechanic. :listen:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
nope..pad are not the same. slightly bigger too vs evo3...i know this last week when i met my mechanic. :listen:
That means the Evo 3 brakes went smaller? I thought they would have improve further from VR upwards....:smokin:

Just double checked, I think depends on what year of V6 too. 1991 to 2000 shares the same brakes from VR4 to Evo4. Evo5 to Evo8 depends whether using Akebono or Brembo. Akebone ones also using same size, Brembo ones differ....

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Jay, my stock 4g93t still running stock brake disc, caliper. No problem at all. My proton wira weight is lighter lah. Just get good pads as suggested for a starter.
Its single piston but big, recently i change to HAWK brake pads, working fine.
Yup get a good tires, uncle VR2turbo will gladly help you.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Jay, my stock 4g93t still running stock brake disc, caliper. No problem at all. My proton wira weight is lighter lah. Just get good pads as suggested for a starter.
He knows his tyres leh! Now using Michelin PS3 205/50ZR16 87W, only a bit old dated 0913, more than 4 years already.....:smokin:

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
My stock single piston calipers are also big, and the brake disc rotor seems to be the same size as an EVO 3 which is probably has about 100 BHP+ more than my car, (all be it a slightly lighter chassis) so I am thinking maybe keep the stock caliper like you would be OK a and upgrade the pads to fast road spec, maybe the front disc rotors some some the same size but with cooling grooves, the brake lines to braided lines and the fluid to DOT 5.1, and saving from not upgrading calipers to put towards new tires.

thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
He knows his tyres leh! Now using Michelin PS3 205/50ZR16 87W, only a bit old dated 0913, more than 4 years already.....:smokin:
I don't trust the tires I am currently running really, the tread is OK and Michelin is a decent brand but they came with the used Enkei wheels I bought, so I will buy new tires soon.

Thinking getting the car re-tracked and changing the spring compression rate on the back coil overs first (the back suspension seems too stiff and the back bounces when on uneven roads now) now the engine swap is done and once I am happy fitting new tires all round.

If I took the car to a shop to do a brake upgrade that involved custom fabrication I would want to get the tracking rechecked but at this stage I will probably go for just pad upgrade, stock size rotor upgrade, brake line and hydraulic fluid upgrades which should not affect tracking, so will get new tires soon, just waiting for payday :proud:

cheers

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I don't trust the tires I am currently running really, the tread is OK and Michelin is a decent brand but they came with the used Enkei wheels I bought, so I will buy new tires soon.

Thinking getting the car re-tracked and changing the spring compression rate on the back coil overs first (the back suspension seems too stiff and the back bounces when on uneven roads now) now the engine swap is done and once I am happy fitting new tires all round.

If I took the car to a shop to do a brake upgrade that involved custom fabrication I would want to get the tracking rechecked but at this stage I will probably go for just pad upgrade, stock size rotor upgrade, brake line and hydraulic fluid upgrades which should not affect tracking, so will get new tires soon, just waiting for payday :proud:

cheers
The Michelin PS3 are actually pretty good. Maybe because yours are pass 4 years old the rubber compound have harden and now giving you less traction and comfort. The new PS4 do have in your size if you are thinking of upgrading the tyres. Quite a few choices for you like Bridgestone RE-003 also but PS4 are the latest....:driver:

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
The Michelin PS3 are actually pretty good. Maybe because yours are pass 4 years old the rubber compound have harden and now giving you less traction and comfort. The new PS4 do have in your size if you are thinking of upgrading the tyres. Quite a few choices for you like Bridgestone RE-003 also but PS4 are the latest....:driver:
I just feel partly because of age and partly because they are used from Japan and I don't know their history I don't want to risk pushing them too hard, and will change them soon. The used wheels they came on are in very good condition though which should be a good sign.

cheers

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Focal Point,

Good day to you!

I had just recently overhaul my 15 years car's engine (top overhaul and change piston ring) after travelling for 530,000km in my proton wira. The engine cylinder still in good shape since i have been using tufoil for many years. Thanks to tufoil to surprise my forman on such a little wear on my engine block and bearings after such millage. I change piston ring and valve seal just to reduce the engine oil consumption problem, before it was 500ml every...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience