Durable paint sealant for outdoor parking

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
What paint sealant do you guys recommend for a car which is usually parked outdoors and exposed to the rain/sun/bird poop? Durability is the main concern, not the quality of the shine.

Pure waxes are just not durable enough, and the wax seems to be gone after 1 week or so.
Nufinish in my experience doesn't last beyond 2 weeks (parked outdoors) before water beading/rolling ability is almost gone on the flat surfaces (top, hood) and feels only slightly slippery on the sides of the car. Another car which was nufinish'd and parked under cover still retained good water beading/slippery feel after a month.

Where do you purchase paint sealants for brands like Collinite/Menzerna/Klasse? I think theres a distributor in Sunway industrial park for Optimum and some online sellers for that brand.

edit:
Some durability tests I came across:
Bilt Hamber Finis vs Finish Kare 1000P vs Collinite 476S
long term durability study: Megs cleaner wax with Collinite 476s VS. Zaino ZAIO with Z3

Last edited:

zckid

Known Member
Feb 28, 2012
Mauritius
for a wax, Collinite will go a long way :driver: if you layer it, then the protection is definitely better and longer,

I used menzerna powerlock and topped with 476s, u get quite a few months of protection.

if u want durability then go for opticoat, you will :love: it.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
For something that's locally available, I'd suggest you give Duragloss 105 or 101 a try. I haven't test it out to it's limit, but I'll give it 3 weeks (without topping up) in our normal weather with weekly washes before the beading starts to weaken. If the weather is like what we've been having lately, I don't see anything can last more than 2 weeks before dirt starts to stick to them. If you have access to Menz Power Lock, it's a good one too. I've tried Colly 476 & 845, the beading last but retain lots of dirt (as compared to DG105).

Personally, I'd suggest DG 105 and top up with DG Aquawax after wash. If you want a more durable 'topper' I've tried Optimum Opti Wax & Carpro Reload and they're quite decent. And also, I couldn't stress more on the importance of regular/weekly wash especially if the car is 24/7 parked outside.

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
For something that's locally available, I'd suggest you give Duragloss 105 or 101 a try. I haven't test it out to it's limit, but I'll give it 3 weeks (without topping up) in our normal weather with weekly washes before the beading starts to weaken. If the weather is like what we've been having lately, I don't see anything can last more than 2 weeks before dirt starts to stick to them. If you have access to Menz Power Lock, it's a good one too. I've tried Colly 476 & 845, the beading last but retain lots of dirt (as compared to DG105).

Personally, I'd suggest DG 105 and top up with DG Aquawax after wash. If you want a more durable 'topper' I've tried Optimum Opti Wax & Carpro Reload and they're quite decent. And also, I couldn't stress more on the importance of regular/weekly wash especially if the car is 24/7 parked outside.
I think the DG enviroshield might last longer since its not a combination aio polish/sealant like the 105. And googling enviroshield showed a different packaging with nano ceramic on the box which looks different from the old version.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

I use DG105 also, but nowadays I mix a little DG 105 into my aquawax for added oomph. Doing well, as have not polished my SUV for the last 3 years. Weekly wash then top up Aquawax/DG105 mixture. Water still beads nicely....:driver:

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

I think the DG enviroshield might last longer since its not a combination aio polish/sealant like the 105. And googling enviroshield showed a different packaging with nano ceramic on the box which looks different from the old version.
As far as I know Enviroshield even though sold by DG is not DG brand, just "Enviroshield"

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
DG EnviroShield has two products, one is the sealant and the latest one is a coating. Before the coating officially came out, there's also another *semi*-coating called Duragloss Nano Glass and it's exclusively sold in Malaysia and Singapore only (and it's still selling at Duragloss Malaysia site).

I have the ES Sealant and tried the Nano Glass. My findings are (through personal usage and observations) the performance is similar to any other good quality sealants with the advantage of ease-of-use (it's a Wipe-On-Walk-Away product). Not much difference in durability between ES Sealant & DG105.

For the Nano Glass, I would consider it something like a super-charged ES Sealant. Won't last for years like those good quality true(?) ceramic/glass coating but can easily go for a few months. With regular wash and topping up with something like DG Aquawax, it *should* be able to last for quite a few months before it starts to deteriorate. I was only able to (barely) get it through the two months mark before I removed it and re-apply (with something else...heheh) but...well...I'm a little OCD with beading & sheeting so my judgement for beading/sheeting is a little biased/skewed....LOL.

But, honestly, for your situation I do suggest you use any good quality and reputable sealant then have a topper (like DG Aquawax, Optimum Car Wax, Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer, etc.) for after-wash application when/if required. For a daily driven and 24/7 parked-outside car, you'd most probably need to re-do it monthly or there-about. The spray 'topper' would be able to stretch the durability and frequency of your re-application.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

As far as I know Enviroshield even though sold by DG is not DG brand, just "Enviroshield"
:biggrin:...I wanted to say that but don't want to confuse the guy even more....:smokin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
DG EnviroShield has two products, one is the sealant and the latest one is a coating. Before the coating officially came out, there's also another *semi*-coating called Duragloss Nano Glass and it's exclusively sold in Malaysia and Singapore only (and it's still selling at Duragloss Malaysia site).

I have the ES Sealant and tried the Nano Glass. My findings are (through personal usage and observations) the performance is similar to any other good quality sealants with the advantage of ease-of-use (it's a Wipe-On-Walk-Away product). Not much difference in durability between ES Sealant & DG105.

For the Nano Glass, I would consider it something like a super-charged ES Sealant. Won't last for years like those good quality true(?) ceramic/glass coating but can easily go for a few months. With regular wash and topping up with something like DG Aquawax, it *should* be able to last for quite a few months before it starts to deteriorate. I was only able to (barely) get it through the two months mark before I removed it and re-apply (with something else...heheh) but...well...I'm a little OCD with beading & sheeting so my judgement for beading/sheeting is a little biased/skewed....LOL.

But, honestly, for your situation I do suggest you use any good quality and reputable sealant then have a topper (like DG Aquawax, Optimum Car Wax, Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer, etc.) for after-wash application when/if required. For a daily driven and 24/7 parked-outside car, you'd most probably need to re-do it monthly or there-about. The spray 'topper' would be able to stretch the durability and frequency of your re-application.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

:biggrin:...I wanted to say that but don't want to confuse the guy even more....:smokin:
Bro. Kris, Isn't DNG Nano Glass the coating. Like you mention if it is semi coating then which is the coating?

I thought he will be scare, if he see the bottle got no DG on it think it is fake.....hahahahaha:rofl:

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor

Thanks for the info, I figured out that DG nanoglass/nano ceramic, opticoat/guard, carpro cquartz are more like clearcoat lite products which are on a different level of durability. I think opticoat v2 would be the best of the bunch if its mostly the same thing as optiguard . The DG nano glass doesn't look like it is packaged for retail, more like for the vendor channel.

ZainJR

May 19, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

With the price for 110ml per bottle (DNG) and can last at least for few months, would you suggest newbie like me to purchase one? Based from your experienced ya :driver:

Was thinking to get OC 2.0 but seems like if i done something bad it irreversible.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Bro. Kris, Isn't DNG Nano Glass the coating. Like you mention if it is semi coating then which is the coating?

I thought he will be scare, if he see the bottle got no DG on it think it is fake.....hahahahaha:rofl:
I think we're talking about this one: ENVIROSHIELD CERAMIC COATING SYSTEM

Words from Benny is that it's not the same as the one that he and Liew is currently selling.

With the price for 110ml per bottle (DNG) and can last at least for few months, would you suggest newbie like me to purchase one? Based from your experienced ya :driver:

Was thinking to get OC 2.0 but seems like if i done something bad it irreversible.
You're correct there. If you somehow blundered with OC (once it's cured), it'll be more difficult to re-do as compared to DNG. You'd also might face the same problem if, lets say, you want to just re-do a small section of a panel (spot re-application) later on.

Personally, I am really fond of DNG (tho I don't use it anymore:biggrin:) and would prefer it over most of the coatings available here. Main reasons being, the ease of application makes DIY *almost* fool-proof and the 'semi'-permanent nature makes it easier to remove (and re-apply) as compare to those coatings which 'crystallize' and more permanent in nature.

*Almost* all these coatings (including OC) hits one *major* flaw in our weather - prone to water marks/spotting & etching (from a few of my own experience and others who use other coatings). With waxes/sealants, if you can get to them quickly enough, you can easily remove most (if not all) of them (with chemical very mild polish) together with the layer of wax/sealant. With coatings, you'd need to cut/polish the spotted/etched layer of the coating off (as if you're working with clear coat), so when you've removed the spotting/etchings, you could've also altogether remove the coating and rendered all the $$$$ spent worthless. You can also use chemicals to remove them but most coatings are also (one way or another) effected by these chemicals. DNG just hit the right spot. It can be easily removed (though not as easy as removing normal waxes/sealants) if such things occurred and it last longer than normal waxes/sealants so the frequency of re-application is lesser. And because of it's chemical compositions (I wouldn't go in details into that), it's also less prone to water marks/spots (as compared to those 'permanent' coatings). Oh...and did I mention that you'd only need around 30ml ~ 40ml to fully coat a normal size sedan. So a bottle can last you around 3 ~ 4 rounds of applications.

So, to answer your question, if you're just trying to get into all these 'coating' thingy, then I would say DNG would be a good start. But just remember, application won't be as easy as normal waxes/sealants but it's not too difficult to do it right. And more importantly, mistakes are easy to correct/re-do.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
What about osren coating? Their coating is something like DNG also. I'm using DNG now but the stain still stick to my car like elephant glue, only to be removed with cleaner wax or polish...sigh

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
I have yet to try Osren's. But nowadays, a little short on 'test panels' and....well...also a little lazy la....hehehe....

ZainJR

May 19, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
What about osren coating? Their coating is something like DNG also. I'm using DNG now but the stain still stick to my car like elephant glue, only to be removed with cleaner wax or polish...sigh
sorry noob question..

Osren coating --> Osren coatz 03?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think we're talking about this one: ENVIROSHIELD CERAMIC COATING SYSTEM

Words from Benny is that it's not the same as the one that he and Liew is currently selling.
Oh! thanks for the info....

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

I have yet to try Osren's. But nowadays, a little short on 'test panels' and....well...also a little lazy la....hehehe....
I let you have my car to test on......:driver::biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This is a feature of MadMike's MadBul, the awesome FD3S equipped with 26B normally aspirated rotary engine pushing upwards of 600 horses. This is arguably the epitome of rotary and FD3S goodness, the sound of it is ungodly awesome and in my honest opinion puts any engine to shame.

MadMike with MadBul...​
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience