Steelmate Alarm review and basic problem solving

theordinaryfolk

Jul 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Basic troubleshooting and review of Steelmate 898G Alarm

Choosing an alarm? Having some basic problems with your alarm ? Please read on !

Background
The reason I’m writing this review is to help people out there who want to grasps a basic understanding of what a two-way alarm does and also basic problem solving methods during emergency.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Steelmate and I bare no responsibility for any damage or loss of your vehicle. This write up is fully based on my knowledge and experience.

Personal experience
My car has been fitted with this alarm for about 4 years now. So far there has NOT been any manufacturing defect or any hardware problems. The range / coverage of the remote is pretty damn far considering it’s a China brand and cost a complete kit of only RM3xx-4xx (excluding installation).

2-way alarm features
A 2-way alarm basically means the remote can command the car and the car communicates back to the remote, hence the 2-way term. The ultimate benefit of a 2-way alarm for me personally is of cz the fact that when someone messes with your car and the alarm rings, it immediately signals to your remote and alerts you. Secondly, if you are someone forgetful, a 2-way is the perfect thing for you because if you forgot to lock your car or if any one of your door is unclosed, it reminds you in about 10-30 seconds through your remote that you have forgotten something. There are many other features but these two are worth knowing.

Benefits of Steelmate 898G
Bang for buck
User friendly
Provides cool features (remote engine start, trunk release)
Remote control battery long lasting and range is far
2-way alarm system (extra security if you are always worrying about your pride and joy)
Siren and remote sound/note is decent (nothing fancy, nothing annoying)

Disadvantage of Steelmate 898G
Made in China (don’t expect high end quality stuff)
Lack of proper information in their instruction/user manual
Design of transmitter and led light looks cheap (install it at a less obvious place)
Experienced missing parts when bought new alarm kit
Single remote control cost about Rm180-250 (usually sellers will force you to buy whole kit if you want 2 remotes)
Remote screen prone to have missing images if remote not properly taken care

Basic troubleshooting and problem solving

What to do when my remote is out of battery but the car is armed?
Use your car key to open the door, let the door be remained open, ignore the ringing alarm, press down on brakes constantly, turn ignition key from ACC OFF to ACC ON 10 times and immediately leave the key on ON position for 2seconds. Blue LED light will lit. Your Alarm is now reset and you can start the car without the immobilizer.

How do I program a new remote?
The maximum remote control you can program is 2 remotes. Open your door and let it remain open, Press on your brakes constantly, turn ignition key from ACC OFF to ACC ON 8 times and immediately leave the key on ON position for 2 seconds. Blue LED light will lit. Press LOCK button on your remote and you should hear a “musical tone” from your remote, immediately press LOCK on your second remote to repeat the process.

What to do if I have done all the above and nothing is happening?
Chances are you are stressed up and impatient. Remember the steps I have mentioned and count the number of time s you turn the ignition key. Everything must be exact. There is no sound/alert whatsoever after you turn the ignition key for 8/10 times, you have to wait 2-4 seconds for the Blue LED to lit.

Tips specifically for this model:
Reprogramming remote does not require you to reset the alarm control unit. What you need to do is exactly what I mentioned above. Don’t go through the hassle opening your kick panels or fuse panels whatsoever to reach the “learning button” or reset the alarm unit.

What happens if everything works but the immobilizer is being a bitch?
Most probably you have broken a pin in the wiring or you pulled something and it gotten loose. Either that or some mice or termite has eaten one of your wires. My advice is to call the nearest Accessory shop and ask them if they provide mobile service. They are the professionals and they should know best.

Last words
I hope this write up is useful for someone out there. For those who are having the thought of learning more to steal or mess up someone’s ride, please do yourself a favour and have some dignity. People work hard for what they earn. God shall be our judge one day.

If you have any general questions just shoot me a pm

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Steelmate and I bare no responsibility for any damage or loss of your vehicle. This write up is fully based on my own opinions.

Last edited:

NoDirecTIoN

Mar 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Bro thx for sharing this info. I also using Steelmate model 898 almost 3 year ady, only 1 remote show sign of weak battery capacity. U know where to buy the replacement battery?

Any idea how to reprogram remote engine start & countdown timer engine turn off? mine not functioning after car battery change.

theordinaryfolk

Jul 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Bro thx for sharing this info. I also using Steelmate model 898 almost 3 year ady, only 1 remote show sign of weak battery capacity. U know where to buy the replacement battery?

Any idea how to reprogram remote engine start & countdown timer engine turn off? mine not functioning after car battery change.
I have asked guys who sell remotes and alarms, they don't have any clue how to replace the battery.
My advise is just go buy a whole set of alarm, cost about RM350, just to get 2 pair of new remotes.

If you already programmed your remote control/transmitter, you should be able to use remote engine start/ turn off. Check if your handbrake is pulled up and the light on your car dash is showing the (!) button and make sure the car is in "armed mode" before you can use engine start.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
So the downside of this alarm is that it is hard to source for a battery replacement...:hmmmm:

Also the way to reset/reprogram the alarm, isn't it exposing a way for car thieves to know how to stop the alarm from ringing? After the Blue LED lit and u r able to start the car?

I'm not sure how this works, unless doing the reset thing will need the remote control to be with us when doing it. Then it is safer.
If not, then it is really one of the way to disarm the alarm which then I think is best not to share this info in public for the safety of all users of the steel mate alarm system.

Just my 2 cents. :beer:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
this remote should be using a rechargable battery, remote batt kong, lost or damaged u need to replace the remote. can be bought separately & re-programmed back onto your steelmate alarm.

theordinaryfolk

Jul 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
So the downside of this alarm is that it is hard to source for a battery replacement...:hmmmm:

Also the way to reset/reprogram the alarm, isn't it exposing a way for car thieves to know how to stop the alarm from ringing? After the Blue LED lit and u r able to start the car?

I'm not sure how this works, unless doing the reset thing will need the remote control to be with us when doing it. Then it is safer.
If not, then it is really one of the way to disarm the alarm which then I think is best not to share this info in public for the safety of all users of the steel mate alarm system.

Just my 2 cents. :beer:
Yea unfortunately the easiest method to solve your remote problems is to buy a new pair. They last quite long so its not really a problem.

To reset with the method I mentioned above, you need to have your car key along with you. So chances are if the thieve has your car key, he would have your remote too, so why bother resetting when he can just disarm and drive your car away :smokin:

Besides, all this information is not top-secret. Anyone can find them through users-manuals and websites if you know where to look. As for google search and our region search engine, it was quite hard to find basic installation information like this as I have lost my user-manual in the past. So i decided to share this after i bought a new set.

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
i've been a happy user of steelmate 898G for few months now. cost only APPROX RM300 to fix it

Last edited:

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
Another steel mate 898 user here, been using since 2007, no issues of whatsoever, battery for one of the remote still good although doesn't last more than half of the original ones when new but definitely worth the money spent. As for the other remote, still new so I guess should last another good 5 years.

free2borg

Jun 24, 2008
Steelmate 898G user here.
Been using it since 7 years ago. Bought second hand 250.
Got 2 remote. Last year lost 1 remote and now using the only 1 remote left.

Last week the remote fell and broke the solder connection for charger pin. Cannot be used.
Bought new remote from U.H accessories Danau Kota : damages 130.
Went back Malacca but in town NO shop know to programme new remote..huhu
Have to go to Bdr Baru Sg Udang..and luckily MN auto accessories know how to programme.
Damages: RM 10 only. (Install 7 years ago at Brother's. They don't activate footbrake wire to ECU.huhu)
That's why I can't re-programming it myself..huhu. 3 hours of searching shop that can do it.

Mar 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Steelmate 898G user here.
Been using it since 7 years ago. Bought second hand 250.
Got 2 remote. Last year lost 1 remote and now using the only 1 remote left.

Last week the remote fell and broke the solder connection for charger pin. Cannot be used.
Bought new remote from U.H accessories Danau Kota : damages 130.
Went back Malacca but in town NO shop know to programme new remote..huhu
Have to go to Bdr Baru Sg Udang..and luckily MN auto accessories know how to programme.
Damages: RM 10 only. (Install 7 years ago at Brother's. They don't activate footbrake wire to ECU.huhu)
That's why I can't re-programming it myself..huhu. 3 hours of searching shop that can do it.
Mine too..just broke the solder connection for charger pin. Cannot charge. Haha..Thought of buying the same at U.H Accessories Danau Kota..The other remote unit burned out due to charging using the Nokia charger, plugged in at the 240v house socket..:vollkommenauf:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Heres the answer to all your minor dents, bumps, bruises and scratches... say good-bye to them as Dr. Dent The Automotive Perfectionist is here to restore your rides away from dents and bruises.

Call Williard Yong at 012 238 1010 for a free consultation
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience