Continental car start break down after 100k millage, but japan car still run like new

raining

Known Member
Oct 7, 2006
kuala lumpur
I have own both japanese/korean car n cntinental car at the same time. I found the japanese car still run good after clocking over 100k millage, but conti expensive repair bills start to come after 100k millage. I have a daily hyundai that clock over 300k, which repair bill less than RM2k/year, a honda/mitsubishi clocked over 160k millage which annual repair bill less than RM5k, but i had 2 millage 100k conti car with annual repair bill over RM20k per year! Why? German engineer...why?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Re: Continental car start break down after 100k millage, but japan car still run like

most japanese car was over engineered especially in the drivetrain part....so most parts last longer than the car....which is even with their standard 5years usable lifespan

while in germany they tend to make everything so efficient that just barely pass the usual 100k mileage lifespan....

thats why u see the service interval of european car longer than japanese but when it came to major service....headache also would be a major one :biggrin:

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Re: Continental car start break down after 100k millage, but japan car still run like

Depends, is it because of frequent breakdowns or price of parts?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

Depends, is it because of frequent breakdowns or price of parts?
frequent breakdowns and price of parts...

example of merc. kompressor model specific....common parts that breaks is the exhaust manifold a.k.a extractor....

bmw 320i is crankshaft bearing/conrod bearing fails...and most of the car i've encountered using semi/full synthetic oil...not some el-cheapo oil..... (this i believe some common problem..not mirror-ed to all conti car i would say)

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com

u havent met italian engineers yet, they are the worst haha.....maintanance bills comes after the 50k kms mark.

dkny

Known Member
Jul 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

I think France engineer more worst, look those Renault car 308 turbo.
My friend own one, in first years 2 major breakdown repair back to service center

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006

italian cars are the best......the would likely to rosak, even before 100k.
Some alfa owners say that their cars sit in workshop longer than sitting at house car porch.....

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah

Because they make most of their cars to last not more than 10 years. People there scrap cars and buy new cars often. Actually japan too. But they are so damn good that even if they plan to degrade a car to last about 5 years, it would almost last forever.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

I think France engineer more worst, look those Renault car, 308 turbo.
My friend own one, in first years 2 major breakdown repair back to service center
Comma is very important bro. But yeah, 308 turbo my friend engine error light always on. Swapped 2 tranny.

italian cars are the best......the would likely to rosak, even before 100k.
Some alfa owners say that their cars sit in workshop longer than sitting at house car porch.....
My friend's 146 still good. Occasional water temp high only. Hahaha
Dat boxer engine, damn smooth.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA

Supply & demand. Quantity produced.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

Japan cars are JDM.

Italian Cars is IDM? :rofl:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com

many conti cars are not suitable for our Msian weather & the famous traffic jams that contributes to overheating &
the shorter lifespan of wear & tear parts.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

italians timing belt change @ 50k kms only, if turbocharged bout 40k kms...
how to maintain? the auxilary belt putus will bring down the timing belt as well. thats very dangerous.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005

the parts are sold more expensive here, its not d automakers' fault imo. as for d damages occured, maybe u can specify what are wrong wit ur contis, i find it hard to believe any german fails at those mileage..

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

if we are to compare any products from any country with Made in Japan products, we would see mostly the Japanese win. It is their way of doing thing. They will predict, assume, and even foresee all the possibilities of problems. That was how they got so far, right? I have seen many engineering products before from europe, the states, and others. Creativity is often triggered in the Western countries, but the innovation is often from the Japanese. They make a good product to become better.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

Japan cars are JDM.

Italian Cars is IDM? :rofl:
Please stick to the topic. Thank you

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

This is from my own personal POV.

Why conti cars maintenance is higher 1st we need to look at their environment, in Europe 365 days their climate is not hot at all even at summer also still cooler than Malaysia. The price of the parts, the exchange rates also plays a part here. JPY and EURO or USD. From what I see the contis we have on Malaysian road is also mostly packaged to let buyers think they are premium type not those average cheap contis (but in their homeland some are consider cheap) Why I say this is because a VW Golf TSI selling in Germany is about 60K compare to here...

Actually conti can last long also. depends on how you care on it and you now where are the lubangs to find cheap parts other than going to SC which definitely will cost you an arm and leg. Take example la my 206 its been with my 12 years already parts was not easy to come by circa 2003 but after doing homework and digging here and there I can find cheaper ori parts from sellers outside SC and even find some local car parts that is compatible with it. My current mileage is already 140K. The car is not daily driven but it has held up quite good for me. The engine never gave me any major problem.

But my mum's previous Citroen was bought from grey importer that one always have cooling problem (overheating) that time I still young can only hear mum complain the car always give problem but now understand why la....if those of you have grey imported conti car you can take a look at your radiator you will find how small and thin it is. My 206 also like that, this causes overheating problem because the radiator can't cool efficiently and they have all these radiator shroud that limits air flow and 2 speed electric fan I swap them out for a bigger single high speed fan. Took out all those shrouds and air flow limiter change to a aftermarket ALU thicker radiator, throw the thermostat away, rip the bumper out and throw away the plastic grill with shroud and change it with wire mesh and this solve the heating problem. Mostly in europe country due to cooler ambient temp they tend to limit the air flow into the radiator so that the coolant will be at it's optimum temp but when you come to Malaysia it's always overheating....