Special Feature: Toyota 86 – The Rebirth of an Icon

d4rk

Known Member
Jul 26, 2010
Johor Bahru

Word has it that Malaysian auto enthusiasts will soon see the return of an automotive icon to our shores. As we eagerly await the launch of the spiritual successor of the legendary AE86, we at Zerotohundred.com decided to take a drive back to where it all really started.

Long before the Toyota AE86, Toyota already had a strong history in the sports cars market. It was way back in 1965 that Toyota introduced their first production sports car, the Toyota Sports 800. Also known as “Yota-Hachi”, which is Japanese for “Toyota 8”, it featured a 790cc two-cylinder boxer engine and a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration.

The car’s lightweight and highly efficient engine, aluminium body panels and unibody construction helped it win many endurance races in its time, helping it outpace more powerful competitors that required more frequent pit stops for fuel.
From a design standpoint, the Sports 800 was among the first production cars to feature a lift-out roof panel, or targa top, pre-dating even the Porsche Targa.

Following closely on the success of the Sports 800 model, Toyota launched the 2000GT in 1967. Staying true to the FR (front-engine, rear-wheel drive) layout of its predecessor, the Toyota 2000GT was considered to be one of the most exciting “driver’s cars” ever produced. Its design is widely considered by car experts to be a true classic, with an extremely low roofline of 116cm at its highest point.

The 2000GT made its most famous screen appearance in the 1967 James Bond movie, You Only Live Twice, starring Sean Connery.

Toyota’s sports car heritage continued with the Toyota AE86. Many of us know of this iconic car from the landmark Japanese manga series, Initial D. In the series, the main character, Takumi Fujiwara, uses his father’s Toyota AE86 for drift-style racing and making his tofu deliveries. The manga series was so successful that it was later adapted into both a long-running anime series as well as feature films

First introduced in 1983, the AE86 generation of the Toyota Sprinter Trueno and Corolla Levin was a small lightweight coupe that was among the last rear wheel drive cars of its type, at a time when most passenger cars were being switched to front-drive. Popularly known in Japan as “Hachi-Roku” (Japanese for “eight-six”, the AE86 stood out from the crowd with its 4-cylinder twin-cam 1.6L 4A-GE engine with a maximum gross power output of 130hp (96 kW) and 110 lb-ft (150 N-m) of torque in standard form.

Off the street, the AE86 made several appearances in prestigious races like the ever-challenging Dakar Rally and the British Touring Car Championship. Today, the AE86 enjoys the reputation of being a sideways, rubber-shredding, no-nonsense sports car. With those characteristics, it has become the much-adored car for the Drift King, Keiichi Tsuchiya.

With a huge, global cult following even after decades since the very first Toyota sports car, it was only logical that Toyota looked back into its historical archives for inspiration. The first sign of this came at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2009. Inspired by the Corolla-based AE86 sports coupe of the '80s, the FT-86 concept car was powered by a 2.0-liter boxer four engine, sending power to the rear wheels. Toyota focused on keeping the weight down to improve handling. The engine sits lower in the engine bay to aid aerodynamics while keeping the center of gravity close to the ground.

The FT-86 concept car was closely followed by the launch of two other concept models, namely the FT-86 G Sports at the 2010 Tokyo Auto Salon Show and the FT-86 II at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show. Off the back of these concepts, rumours at that point were that Toyota was already preparing to launch a production model of the 86.

These rumours proved to be true shortly after; The Toyota 86 was officially launched at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show. Sporting 2+2 seats in a 2-door coupé body style on a front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout, the car is powered by a 200ps 2.0L boxer engine that promises even greater performance, better balance and higher efficiency than the original AE86.

While the new 86 is a complete revolution on the original Hachi-Roku, it is still very much spiritually connected to the Toyota sports coupés of old, offering the precise handling of an FR layout with the ideals of a lightweight, sporty coupe. With the available 6-speed manual transmission, it will once again impress both the general car market as well as hardcore enthusiasts.
In essence, the new Toyota 86 still carries the bloodline of past Toyota sports cars, albeit being pumped with an all-new heart. One could see this as a new and improved version of the old AE86, or an original 21st century sports car.

We have gotten in touch with UMW Toyota Motor, and they have promised to provide us with a Toyota 86 to review once this new icon is available. We can’t wait to see it in the flesh and get hands-on with its performance. Keep watching this space for more!

In the meantime, there is the already some information available on the Toyota website: Toyota Malaysia - Toyota 86

Toyota 86 Specifications and Prices

• Zerotohundred: 8.2s (AT), 7.6s (MT)
  • Top Speed: 225 km / h
  • Engine: 1998 cc D-4S flat-four boxer engine (FA20)
  • Power: 197 bhp / 7000 rpm
  • Redline: 7400 rpm
  • Torque 205 nm / 6600 rpm
  • Weight: 1,230 kg
  • Fuel: 5.91L/100km Automatic / 6.5L/100km Manual
  • Fuel Tank: 50 L
  • Wheels: 17"
  • Tyres: 215/45R17 all round
  • Price: RM243,000 Manual / RM249,000 Auto
  • Official Link: http://www.toyota.com.my/toyota-86/

Toyota 86 in Malaysia Related Posts:

Attachments

dinmsab

Jun 20, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
at 244k, this car is overpriced. In the US toyota priced the gt86 similarly to the US Camry, I don't know what went wrong along the way but reaching Malaysia the price could almost get you a BMW!

Seriously toyota, this was suppose to be an "affordable" sports car. :/

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Nothing went wrong. Its called UMW and profiteering is the game. Its the same for Prius what, look at the prices even when government exempt tax, its still way higher than US/Japan prices.

Wait for the refurbs and give UMW the middle finger.

katanakote123

May 10, 2012
Sabah
yeah... the middle man(UMW) really needs some adjustments lol:rofl:

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Guys...it is MITI who determines the based price before tax... not UMW. That is why Prius which is tax exempt is still more expensive then the US. What to do need to protect our local products mah.... To make matters worse I was told that sports coupes are in a different tax bracket compared to 4 door hatchback... so all I can say is ..dont buy new cars and force them to rethink the NAP. They will have no choice since the lucrative tax money stops. Their biggest earner is from cars below 100K due to volume ....if ppl stop buying protons, perodua, , vios ...you see lah..they will have no choice to come to a compromise.... If you really have to buy a car...get a good 2nd hand...

I suspect with the recent BNM tightening of credit will have some impact on the outcome of the NAP announcement coming soon..

Last edited:

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
yeah...i too blame the G...AP business have been feeding cronies for decades...and we have to pay for it...

kuntauasli

Known Member
Apr 1, 2009
i am expecting the price like maximax .... 160k??
200k car above ill go for better performance. maybe it is biased (since i have yet to see and try it) but I agree.. it is overpriced.

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Toyota GT86 6MT Grade GT Limited (Highest Spec) cost RM 114K.
This price includes warranty and profit for Toyota and tax for Japan Govt.
Malaysian version (Not sure if can compare to Japan's high spec)
You seriously wonder what was the base price landed in port before arriving at Final selling price of RM 243K. More than double than what the car is really worth!!!.

So how can anyone afford this seriously?... Yes they can just increase the loan tenure to 15 Years!!!!
End of the day once you sign on the dotted line the vultures will get their money upfront while you are stuck with a fat & extended loan. The real loan on the physical car is 100K the balance 143K is thin air!!

FYI...This is not just GT86 issue... all the cars have the same issue...OVER INFLATED PRICES.
Even the bread and butter models are not spared like Vios and Civic!!!.

Some ppl may say... if cannot afford buy perodua.. Well 50+K for a MYVI isnt exactly affordable.
Take a 5 year loan and see the mthly installment is nearly 1K !!!.

My take is apply reasonable taxes on cars and not force us to take extended loan.

Other than that it is a real nice car...

Last edited:

Nats autoparts

Known Member
Oct 18, 2007

let me envy you guys - hehehehe!!

father and son fighting over this car!!

other car

Vellfire

Prius

mark X

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Guys...it is MITI who determines the based price before tax... not UMW. That is why Prius which is tax exempt is still more expensive then the US. What to do need to protect our local products mah.... To make matters worse I was told that sports coupes are in a different tax bracket compared to 4 door hatchback... so all I can say is ..dont buy new cars and force them to rethink the NAP. They will have no choice since the lucrative tax money stops. Their biggest earner is from cars below 100K due to volume ....if ppl stop buying protons, perodua, , vios ...you see lah..they will have no choice to come to a compromise.... If you really have to buy a car...get a good 2nd hand...

I suspect with the recent BNM tightening of credit will have some impact on the outcome of the NAP announcement coming soon..
I'm sorry I don't quite get your drift. So what are normal folks supposed to buy if not for the protons, peroduas, vios and etc?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

How's it goin folks... quick question to all that've upgraded their car's air filter... I just installed a Hurricane air filter in my Kelisa... the problem is when the mechanic installed it, he said he couldn't screw the whole air filter system on the engine... so basically he just screwed the head of the filter tube to the engine but left everything else "loose" <-- direct quote from the Abang mechanic... did you guys also encounter this problem when you upgraded your air filters...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience