CF hood becomes yellowish

stuffx

Known Member
Nov 16, 2005
My CF hood is getting yellowish and the color becomes uneven (look at the pic). I wax my CF hood every 2 weeks using optimum car wax. Is it because of over wax? Some people said the uneven yellowish color is due to dirts which trapped inside the wax layer. If I use clay bar to remove the wax layer can I restore the color back to the original? Or do i need to polish? Or maybe reapply clear coat? Please help. Thx

Attachments

Last edited:

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
I would try stripping off any wax with some Power Clean and see if the marks are still there. When applying OCW, don't use too much. For your hood, 2 squirts are more than enough.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Yup. If it's patchy then it *could* be dirt/contaminant trapped on the surface or already stained the wax layer. Try to strip everything off with an APC (all purpose cleaner) wash, or maybe you can try claying also, and see how it looks afterwards. If you don't have any APC on hand, you can try a mild dishwashing detergent mix or get one of those al-cheapo shampoo from the locar mart and mix a very strong solution of it (but just remember to rinse VERY THOROUGHLY and NEVER let any of the solution dry on the paint).

If it's still patchy, then try a paint cleaner or a mild polish. If that also doesn't work, then it's a job for the pro.....

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
its the clear coat that turn yellowish overtime
if polish don work u might hav to sand the yellowish part and reapply clear coat
it happens to most carbon stuff

stuffx

Known Member
Nov 16, 2005
ok.. i will try to remove the wax layer using clay bar 1st and see how it goes..

not really sure if it's the problem with clear coat that turns yellowish.. coz im using this hood just about 5 months and i wax every 2 weeks to protect the clear coat

Timeattacker

Known Member
Mar 8, 2012
Johor Bahru
m.facebook.com
Hi Bro,
first thing first,izit ur CF Bonnet is Original or Aftermarket Products?

-If Original,probably is bcoz u being so "Care" abt ur "Baby",try to cut down aliile bit of the Polishing/Waxing Routine..Keening on polishing on the CF will making the Material Turn Up ugly,somemore ur Living under a 30 Celius ++ Country,when ur Doing the Polishing nor the Waxing,time to time its will bring off the Protection of the CF Material..

- is an Aftermarket Product,then probably this things will happend and u wont get skip off its..The main points is bcoz of the Quality when they mould up the CF bonnet..

P/S: try to google into the Japan Site and have a llok on its..i mights help u out in a proper way and solved out your doubts..

Thanks..
Vince
:driver:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I have read at some forum that the yellowing of CF may be suspected of heat and deterioration from underneath, not from the top surface of the bonnet. The heat builts up from the bottom, and the yellowing effect shown at the top.

Is the yellow patch coincidentally located at hi-heat area at the engine compartment?

stuffx

Known Member
Nov 16, 2005
Mine become greenish.. what should i do?? :tee:
use clorox

Bro stuffx, is the underside of the CF hood clear coat also experiencing yellowing?
i cannot tell if the underside is also yellowing by just looking at it. maybe i need to clay the whole hood 1st to see whether it's just on top of the hood or underneath the clear coat

Hi Bro,
first thing first,izit ur CF Bonnet is Original or Aftermarket Products?

-If Original,probably is bcoz u being so "Care" abt ur "Baby",try to cut down aliile bit of the Polishing/Waxing Routine..Keening on polishing on the CF will making the Material Turn Up ugly,somemore ur Living under a 30 Celius ++ Country,when ur Doing the Polishing nor the Waxing,time to time its will bring off the Protection of the CF Material..

- is an Aftermarket Product,then probably this things will happend and u wont get skip off its..The main points is bcoz of the Quality when they mould up the CF bonnet..

P/S: try to google into the Japan Site and have a llok on its..i mights help u out in a proper way and solved out your doubts..

Thanks..
Vince
:driver:
it's an aftermarket hood. i'm not really sure what do you mean by original because it's hard to see any cars come with original CF hood.

I have read at some forum that the yellowing of CF may be suspected of heat and deterioration from underneath, not from the top surface of the bonnet. The heat builts up from the bottom, and the yellowing effect shown at the top.

Is the yellow patch coincidentally located at hi-heat area at the engine compartment?
i put heat insulator under the hood to prevent heat from engine bay..

no it's not yellowish at hi-heat area.. i can see the whole hood is yellowish under direct sunlight (look at the attached pic)
http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...59908691602_539296601_8983107_426602405_n.jpg

8voltpreout

Known Member
Nov 28, 2008
Madagascar :-P
a noob question here... the above happening to bro stuffx CF hood is it not normal? For me... I think a yellowish CF shows better contrast... As long it doesn`t fade off the whole clear coat and become DCF... Then it just looked like some unpaint taiwan/counterfeit body parts....

stuffx

Known Member
Nov 16, 2005
a noob question here... the above happening to bro stuffx CF hood is it not normal? For me... I think a yellowish CF shows better contrast... As long it doesn`t fade off the whole clear coat and become DCF... Then it just looked like some unpaint taiwan/counterfeit body parts....
a brand new CF hood will look blackish even under direct sunlight but u can see the CF texture.. mine looks blackish only at night or when not being exposed to sunlight.. fyi previously i kinda like the contrast too but now i started to hate it LOL

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

I have some questions.

1. Will there be any difference, if I change the injectors? I'm currently running a 4G13P. Is it a necessary for me to get a adjustable fuel regulator afterthat?

2. If I choose to use High cams 272 degree, what kind of settings or precaution should I take note, in order not to let the car stall?

Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience