MyVi cannot start after drowned

bro858

Known Member
Jul 26, 2007
Hi all. My wife's car (MyVi 1.3) was drowned in the flash flood last week. The water level was up to the coin drawer(I don't really know what it was called). The car was parked when it was sank. After the flood I've tried to start the engine but failed. Does any of otai here have any idea what's the problem since the Perodua Service Centre quoted me RM16k to repair the car(I rather go to other workshop than paying that RM16k). Any recommend for trustworthy & good workmanship workshop(with reasonable price of course) around Ampang/Cheras. Tq in advance.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
did u drove through the flood, engine died and arent able to start it up? did the starter able to crank the engine, but it wont start? the later shows engine jem to me, may cause one or more conrod to bend. it shudnt cost dat much to rebuild the engine imo

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Owh!! Same shit as my friend. She was initially quoted 13k, now 16k.

Bro, where is your location? Is it at the condo in USJ?

bro858

Known Member
Jul 26, 2007
did u drove through the flood, engine died and arent able to start it up? did the starter able to crank the engine, but it wont start? the later shows engine jem to me, may cause one or more conrod to bend. it shudnt cost dat much to rebuild the engine imo
The car was parked during the flood. As I tried to start it, the starter works fine but the engine just can't be started. Before I tried to start the engine, I did check the engine oil and the gearbox oil(auto gearbox) but no sign of water in it(I was told that if the oil already mixed with water the colour will be changed and the oil level at the dip stick will be raised than normal). I also took out the spark plugs and tried to start the engine without it as to check if the water already entered the combustion room or not but also no sign of water in it. After I put the spark plugs back, the engine cannot be started(but the starter works). I noticed all the warning lamps at the meter was turned on when I switched on the key. The OD lamp also blinking and after I push the OD button several times(just to check if it will be fine if I push it) it remains blinking. Any idea sifus?

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

Owh!! Same shit as my friend. She was initially quoted 13k, now 16k.

Bro, where is your location? Is it at the condo in USJ?
No bro I'm from Hulu Langat. Last week's flash flood in Ampang and Hulu Langat.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
it is not necessary to check the oils as water from the flood won't be able to enter. however it was a good move to remove the plugs, but i do hope you did that before starting the engine for the first time after a flood.

from your description, if you are certain the water level was only up to the coin box, gear shift area, then the good news is that the water might not have entered through the intake. I'm not too sure where the air opening leading to the airbox is for the Myvi, but i assume it'll be near the headlights / grille area, which is good news.

you might want to open up the air box to see if there are traces of water.

You mentioned the starter works, is the engine cranking normally? does it sound normal? is there signs of compression?

bro858

Known Member
Jul 26, 2007
it is not necessary to check the oils as water from the flood won't be able to enter. however it was a good move to remove the plugs, but i do hope you did that before starting the engine for the first time after a flood.

from your description, if you are certain the water level was only up to the coin box, gear shift area, then the good news is that the water might not have entered through the intake. I'm not too sure where the air opening leading to the airbox is for the Myvi, but i assume it'll be near the headlights / grille area, which is good news.

you might want to open up the air box to see if there are traces of water.

You mentioned the starter works, is the engine cranking normally? does it sound normal? is there signs of compression?
Yes I did remove the spark plugs before starting the engine for the 1st time after the flood. I checked the air box and there was no sign of water in it, even the air filter was still dry. As for the engine's sound, I think the sound was normal but it just cannot start. For the compression, I'm not really sure but I think the compression was OK because the sound was different compared to when I removed the spark plugs.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Ho ho ho... your ECU is fried. Pretty much what happened to my Kelisa sometime back. Since the water level was until coin box, the ECU is at the passenger side kick panel area. If you have a good friend with exactly the same model, try swapping out the ECUs to see if it works.

16k to repair flood damage is preposterous! If it's just ECU problems, spend RM5k to get Haltech/Motech la. :biggrin:

bro858

Known Member
Jul 26, 2007
Ho ho ho... your ECU is fried. Pretty much what happened to my Kelisa sometime back. Since the water level was until coin box, the ECU is at the passenger side kick panel area. If you have a good friend with exactly the same model, try swapping out the ECUs to see if it works.

16k to repair flood damage is preposterous! If it's just ECU problems, spend RM5k to get Haltech/Motech la. :biggrin:
What's the price for the ECU for MyVi 1.3 auto? Bro Izso, from your previous experience, besides the main ECU, will the gearbox ECU(I don't know what it called but I believe you understand me) effected as well?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
you can transplant a YRV turbo engine in for less than RM10k. this includes using the YRV's ECU and merging the wiring with Myvi. otherwise, go standalone if its a manual transmission.

but like Izso said, try using an ECU and TCU from another Myvi first. You can likely buy the ECU & TCU from kedai potong but be advised that Myvi's ECU has immobilizer build in.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
TCU.. this one I have yet to discover its location. ECU like taikor Ixeo said has to work with a certain key so this might be a pain in the you-know-where to fix. Might be worthwhile just fixing the burnt ECU board instead. (IF it is the ECU that's broken la)

bro858

Known Member
Jul 26, 2007
Is TCU is the ECU for the auto transmission? I don't know its name as I used to call it the auto gearbox ECU:biggrin:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
yes, the tcu is the brain for the gearbox. i believe u can start the engine and drive off without a working tcu

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
my personal experience,

if yr car is soaked in water more than half the height ... DO NOT TRY TO START IT....instead u tow it to the nearest workshop to remove the plug, air filter, oil filter, release the engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid & drain the petrol.....fill up all fresh and before u install the plug, dry the ignition coil & plug cable....then crank the engine few times - usually u will see water spraying out from the engine....then fix the plug and u will be able to start it.....(if yr ecu is soaked - find out where yr ecu is, sometimes under yr handbrake, some might be in front bumper, some on top of engine, some behind yr front console box and some behind yr radio....if its not wet...u may crank the engine and let it hot...run in....should be ok...u save yr 10k and above repair cos BUT

yr interior cleaning, carpet have to be removed and all the sand need to be wash out....kinda hassle and smelly for a week or two but at least everything is done....u r save.....good luck guys...hope my sharing can save u guys some $$$

bro858

Known Member
Jul 26, 2007
I towed the car to the outside workshop. The mechanic told me that the ECU kaput already. Anyone knows the price of new/2nd hand ECU for MyVi? The mechanic also told me that the engine oil already mixed with petrol(the Perodua people also told me the same thing,how could this happen?). I checked the engine and and its true the engine oil already mixed with petrol, even the air filter box also full will petrol. I don't understand how the petrol can mixed with the engine oil and how can the petrol can get into the air filter box. My theory is as I tried to start the engine last time, the fuel pump pumped in the fuel into the intake manifold but since there is no spark from the spark plugs so the fuel didn't burned and flowed into the cylinder room. But still how can the fuel get into the engine oil and the air box? Will the engine need to be overhauled?

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
another thing that possibly fried in the flood - your immobilizer. Look for the blinking red light on your meter panel, if its not blinking with the engine off & key out...the immo's gone too. Just curious, does the Check Engine light (orange mini engine icon on ur meter) illuminate when u turn on the key?

Anyways...I've dealt with a similar issue before, PM if you wanna let me have a go at it...

Cheers

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

here my review about my first day after getting my car titaned.
well THUMBS UP for uncle richard,ah fai and stanley. they done a very very good job on it.

first impression when i test driver my car...smooth!!! the hard feel of course got lah..but can get used to it..then go back,ah fai ask wanna get some swing butt alignment setting.so i give it a go...so far one word to describe NICE!!!

the bump part is absolutely SUPERB!!!! it goes over it even better than my corolla.everyone was impress...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience