[DIY] Cleaning your throttle body

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
ok, gd point Izso-san. Then how bout this....i heard people pour water into the TB but
i got another idea. Can i use the flower plant water spray to spray a mist to the TB?

I got read about water injector system to save fuel, cool, and clean the engine.
Maybe i might install one later, any advice?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
ok, gd point Izso-san. Then how bout this....i heard people pour water into the TB but
i got another idea. Can i use the flower plant water spray to spray a mist to the TB?

I got read about water injector system to save fuel, cool, and clean the engine.
Maybe i might install one later, any advice?
water & oil doesn't mix..

i think what u read is the methane + water injection system..

that's a different system from our regular fuel + air system..

or maybe u've read the Hydrogen Generator system using water..

like this thread (the last few pages)..

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...iy-the-probably-the-only-real-fuel-saver.html

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
actually not true dzul.

The Snow performance gadget can either pump in methanol (pure), mixture or just plain water. If water, the problem is the mist isn't fine enough and may end up causing more harm than good.

Mike, you can but how do you intend on setting up the pump? You need really fine water droplets otherwise you might have piston damage.

Last edited:

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Then how about i go buy a electronic fuel injector and use it to inject water mist instead?
Is this idea ok? The water i think i am gonna havest from the aircond water.

Or i go supermarket and get the mist generator, i think is an induction coil and run on 24VAC.
Can i tap AC right after the alternator and just b4 the bridge diode? Here is what i plan to
use, with a water container, put water in it and throw the mist generator into it and power it
up, then cover up the container and make 2 hose on top of it, one is a breather hose to suck
in air from outside (filtered), the other hose will connect to the carb to let it suck the mist. Water again i plan to harvest from the aircond. Pls comment.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Then how about i go buy a electronic fuel injector and use it to inject water mist instead?
Is this idea ok? The water i think i am gonna havest from the aircond water.

Or i go supermarket and get the mist generator, i think is an induction coil and run on 24VAC.
Can i tap AC right after the alternator and just b4 the bridge diode? Here is what i plan to
use, with a water container, put water in it and throw the mist generator into it and power it
up, then cover up the container and make 2 hose on top of it, one is a breather hose to suck
in air from outside (filtered), the other hose will connect to the carb to let it suck the mist. Water again i plan to harvest from the aircond. Pls comment.
Not quite the right place to ask but sounds like it might work. I don't think those mist generators run on AC? Or was it DC? I had a chat with Drexchan on this since he had the same idea as you. But the main problem he faced was powering the device. Apparently it would suck up a lot of power and negate the effects of the mod in the first place.

Anyway, let's talk PM since this is out of topic.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Not quite the right place to ask but sounds like it might work. I don't think those mist generators run on AC? Or was it DC? I had a chat with Drexchan on this since he had the same idea as you. But the main problem he faced was powering the device. Apparently it would suck up a lot of power and negate the effects of the mod in the first place.

Anyway, let's talk PM since this is out of topic.
cc those PM to me :biggrin:

better yet.. start a new thread :biggrin:

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
ok, sorry for off topic. Now bk on topic, diy clean the TB.

Tomorrow i plan to go get myself a carb cleaner. May i know
whats the recommended brand and expected price?
There are dozen of brands on the shelf out there.

B4 this i got remove the airbox of my old Saga 12V then i saw the air filter
and i remove it as well, then i see an opening from the top of the carb.
Its an Aisan Variable Venturi with auto chock carb. So i just spray into the hole?
From there i cannot see the butterfly valve and it would give me a feeling i am
spraying at nothing.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Honestly - what I used to do with my old carbie was just spray it in with the engine running. Probably isn't the best way.

Anyone with a carb can advise?

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Already bought the carb cleaner, brand 3M. The instruction says spray when engine off,
spray and leave it for 20 minutes. I have not try it yet. Now i worry i cant start the engine
afterwards due to heavy floods with big pieces of gunks that got loose and broke off.
It could be a thick 20 years old gunk i am dealing with.

Ok now one question, will the carb cleaner eat away seals and gaskets and make my carb
leaking? I plan to spray every time just b4 the engine oil changed coz i scare i might
contaminate the oil. Means every 5000km i be spraying the carb, i scare slowly it gets leaky.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Already bought the carb cleaner, brand 3M. The instruction says spray when engine off,
spray and leave it for 20 minutes. I have not try it yet. Now i worry i cant start the engine
afterwards due to heavy floods with big pieces of gunks that got loose and broke off.
It could be a thick 20 years old gunk i am dealing with.

Ok now one question, will the carb cleaner eat away seals and gaskets and make my carb
leaking? I plan to spray every time just b4 the engine oil changed coz i scare i might
contaminate the oil. Means every 5000km i be spraying the carb, i scare slowly it gets leaky.
It shouldn't.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Pls help me, my Saga cannot start after i spray the carb hole with 3M carb cleaner.

I just follow the instruction. It says off the engine, spray the carb hole and leave it
soak for 20 minutes then start the engine. But i crank for like 10 seconds non stop
and the engine wont turn. Then i let go and crank again for another 10 seconds
non stop and engine still wont run. I kept doin like this for 3-4 times still wont
start, pls help me!!

Luckily my battery is strong from a good charge coz i just balik kampung from
KL to Butterworth last nite and tot today holiday i want to clean the damn carb.
So i start the engine and drove the car to a nice padang where nobody is around
coz i scare to smoke up the place. Once i reach the padang, i shut off the engine
and start spraying like nobody business onto the carb. After spray, the carb hole
looks damn clean, and i let it soak for 20 minutes and then i went to start the engine
but it wont turn over, i kept cranking and the engine just wont come alive and run
on its own. Now my car is abandon at the padang, pls help. What is wrong with it man.

Last edited:

tks84

Known Member
May 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Alot of thng to check..can be disterbuter kot...spark plug wire connection loose..or rosak...
Usually i do it at home..off engine,spray till all look clean..let it soak a while..it will be hard to start at first cos the fume still in there...
Just wait a while more and try again...when start drive to empty road,remain engine on spray while pulling the trottle cable...then wack drag a bit ok liow...

Last edited:

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I see the butterfly valve on my carb is not dirty at all since fuel always
drip on it and get it wet. So carb cleaner for me is no fun since there is
nothing to be clean and even i spray on the carb hole, i feel no difference.
Perhaps its already clean. So buying a carb cleaner and did the job, the
return is zero satisfaction.

I dun know doin the below is right or not.

To clean off carbon inside combustion chamber, i asked my wife to rev up
the engine to 2k rpm, then i remove the hose from the PCV valve and spray
carb cleaner into the hose so that the cleaner could get right into the intake
manifold after the carb. What unexpected is, when i spray the cleaner in,
the engine will rev itself higher though my wife is holding the throttle constant
at 2k rpm. I tot the engine would sputter and wanna die, but instead it rev up,
this effect is totally unlike the when spray onto carb, the engine would sputter.
And one more thing i found out is, if u dun rev the engine and let it idle, taking
off the hose from the PCV valve would stall the engine, i think maybe due to
massive air leak, but instead if u remove the PCV valve from the valve cover
with the hose still attached, the engine would still idle due to there is still some
restriction in the PCV valve, not like a free flow and massive air leak alike.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all bosses,

i have a 4g13p proton saga engine with 12 valves. All my engine bearings is spoilt. i Would like to change my bearing to racing bearings. I heard that King's bearings are good. Can i use this bearings in my engine. why i am asking to change to racing bearing is because later i want to upgrade to racing cams and pulley. Pls if anyone can help me in the engine bearing cams and modifications and anywhere i can buy this engine parts from.

thanks you
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience